URM status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SexyLexie729 said:
Hispanics come in all different shapes...

I think most are at least humanoid

Members don't see this ad.

Evidently my thread shunt failed, oh well

I ran out of popcorn, so I guess I'll post.

From reading many of your posts I can tell that many of you have not set foot in a medical school classroom. Those that oppose AA on the grounds that URMs are taking "spots" away from people are spot off. You have this idea that throngs of URMs are taking over medical schools. First of all there is a reason for the "U" in URM. Let's take a look at:

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2005/factsgrads2.htm

Oh yeah, URMs are taking over. Look, there are some schools out there that have like 3 URMs. Why don't you apply to those schools? Looks like they are URM unfriendly. Also, URMs tend to be centered in schools with significant urban areas e.g. NYC, D.C. etc. So if you're white just apply to schools in middle America to avoid all of those racist adcoms.

Let's take a look at the most popular URMs, blacks. We must consider that Howard, Meharry, Morehouse represented 12% of all black allo graduates in 2005. Considering the average GPA/MCAT of admitted students at these institutions are much lower than the national average and given the already relatively small sample size of black matriculants, we can see how average GPA/MCAT of blacks is pulled down. This is no way a knock against H,M,M as those are wonderful institutions that turn out the some of the finest doctors in the nation. It's more an example of how the average GPA/MCAT of admitted blacks is somewhat skewed. Take out the blacks admitted to H,M,M and the numbers picture looks different.

This all goes to say that the onus falls on the APPLICANT to be the best they can be. See premeds get all consumed with this number and this EC or what group of people are potentially taking their spot and you lose focus of what's most important: YOU. The "Outstanding EC" thread that's going on right now in pre-allo is sad. Everyone is trying to be copycat and adopt a cookie cutter application. But guess what, adcoms don't want cookie cutter matriculants. Just do what you like and do best and it WILL show in your apps and in your interviews.

So, I could accept the argument that URMs are taking spots if they represented a disproportionate percentage of medical schools classes relative to their percentage in the general population. Given that this is not the case, if you don't get in, IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT and no one else's.

And also, for all you people keep talking about these uber-privileged URMs taking advantage of the system. Have you looked at the US census data recently? Like the percentage of URMs that grow up in two parent homes, percentage that has at least one parent that graduated from high school and/or college, percentage that has a parent in jail, income of said group, percentage whose parents have a job? Oh yeah there are all these crazy super rich URMs taking spots from whites. Right. Sure there will be exceptions, no system is perfect. But for every super rich Mexican kid from Beverly Hills that gets accepted there are disadvantaged kids in the Valley region in Texas that are helped out.

And one more thing. For all those that clamor for socioeconomic status being a factor in admissions. HAVE YOU FILLED OUT A FRIGGIN AMCAS APPLICATION? You know there's a little box that says check here if you are disadvantaged and explain.

Ok looks like my popcorn just finished popping. Time to get back to my La-Z-Boy.

Members don't see this ad :)
gostudy said:

From reading many of your posts I can tell that many of you have not set foot in a medical school classroom. Those that oppose AA on the grounds that URMs are taking "spots" away from people are spot off. You have this idea that throngs of URMs are taking over medical schools. First of all there is a reason for the "U" in URM. Let's take a look at:

Oh yeah, URMs are taking over. Look, there are some schools out there that have like 3 URMs. Why don't you apply to those schools? Looks like they are URM unfriendly. Also, URMs tend to be centered in schools with significant urban areas e.g. NYC, D.C. etc. So if you're white just apply to schools in middle America to avoid all of those racist adcoms.

Let's take a look at the most popular URMs, blacks. We must consider that Howard, Meharry, Morehouse represented 12% of all black allo graduates in 2005. Considering the average GPA/MCAT of admitted students at these institutions are much lower than the national average and given the already relatively small sample size of black matriculants, we can see how average GPA/MCAT of blacks is pulled down. This is no way a knock against H,M,M as those are wonderful institutions that turn out the some of the finest doctors in the nation. It's more an example of how the average GPA/MCAT of admitted blacks is somewhat skewed. Take out the blacks admitted to H,M,M and the numbers picture looks different.

This all goes to say that the onus falls on the APPLICANT to be the best they can be. See premeds get all consumed with this number and this EC or what group of people are potentially taking their spot and you lose focus of what's most important: YOU. The "Outstanding EC" thread that's going on right now in pre-allo is sad. Everyone is trying to be copycat and adopt a cookie cutter application. But guess what, adcoms don't want cookie cutter matriculants. Just do what you like and do best and it WILL show in your apps and in your interviews.

So, I could accept the argument that URMs are taking spots if they represented a disproportionate percentage of medical schools classes relative to their percentage in the general population. Given that this is not the case, if you don't get in, IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT and no one else's.

And also, for all you people keep talking about these uber-privileged URMs taking advantage of the system. Have you looked at the US census data recently? Like the percentage of URMs that grow up in two parent homes, percentage that has at least one parent that graduated from high school and/or college, percentage that has a parent in jail, income of said group, percentage whose parents have a job? Oh yeah there are all these crazy super rich URMs taking spots from whites. Right. Sure there will be exceptions, no system is perfect. But for every super rich Mexican kid from Beverly Hills that gets accepted there are disadvantaged kids in the Valley region in Texas that are helped out.

And one more thing. For all those that clamor for socioeconomic status being a factor in admissions. HAVE YOU FILLED OUT A FRIGGIN AMCAS APPLICATION? You know there's a little box that says check here if you are disadvantaged and explain.

Ok looks like my popcorn just finished popping. Time to get back to my La-Z-Boy.

Take 687 from the chart above and subtract the 300 for Howard, Meharry and Morehouse and tell me again why 17,000 applicants feel threatened? Besides the fact that once you are in med school you have to work, work, work. If someone makes it, that is proof that the admission committee knew what they were doing when they saw something by reviewing the applicants whole file (not just the MCAT score!). :)

gostudy said:

:thumbup:

I thought we proved the numbers game wrong over and over again. Here's the last time some of us worked out the math...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3658626&highlight=good#post3658626

gostudy said:

Psycho Doctor said:
what exactly do you mean by accountability and how would you handle this?

Hey PsychoDoc. Concerning accountability, I was talking about two things. Proponents of AA in medical school admissions claim that..

1) URM's are more likely to practice in underserved communities.

That's an important point. But for me, more likely just isn't good enough. I want to directly advocate the interests of the underserved on this issue. Let's take out the ambiguity and ensure that AA in med admissions creates a discernable benefit to the underserved 100% of the time. If a lesser applicantion is accepted based on this assumption, include a stipulation that they will directly serve an underserved community for a specified amount of time. Programs like this actually do exist (at Harvard for example). But the incentive is a waived tuition rather than an increased chance of acceptance. What's more, I think a program like this could potentially be more inclusive, by offering the same benefit to applicants of any race.

2) AA supporters bring up the unique economic and educational challenges statistically linked to being a URM.

Another valid and important point, but certainly not a universal one. Just being black, hispanic or 1/16 cherokee does not make you disadvantaged. This should not be an assumption, but instead needs to be considered on an applicant to applicant basis. Frankly, if I were a minority, I would be offended by the assumption that I must come from a poor, single parented family in the ghetto. And I don't care who you are, if you went to an Ivy league school for the last four years, you are no longer at an educational disadvatage (but that's more of a personal hang up). And yes, there is a disadvantaged box on the AMCAS, but it is always a facet of pro AA arguments in medical admissions.

There needs to be accountability for these issues. If these are things that make a discriminatory policy like AA necessary, then we should make sure that they are addressed every time AA is exercised by a medical adcom.

I simply reject the complacency of those who think AA is the best we've got, so we'll take the good with the bad. No! America is full of smart people and we can come up with something better that actually addresses these problems directly. It's not about advocating a specific race, it's about advocating every individual who needs it.

NotAnMD said:
I simply reject the complacency of those who think AA is the best we've got, so we'll take the good with the bad. No! America is full of smart people and we can come up with something better that actually addresses these problems directly.

It would be nice, but I think you're a bit more optimistic than I

NotAnMD said:
Hey PsychoDoc. Concerning accountability, I was talking about two things. Proponents of AA in medical school admissions claim that..

1) URM's are more likely to practice in underserved communities.

That's an important point. But for me, more likely just isn't good enough. I want to directly advocate the interests of the underserved on this issue. Let's take out the ambiguity and ensure that AA in med admissions creates a discernable benefit to the underserved 100% of the time. If a lesser applicantion is accepted based on this assumption, include a stipulation that they will directly serve an underserved community for a specified amount of time. Programs like this actually do exist (at Harvard for example). But the incentive is a waived tuition rather than an increased chance of acceptance. What's more, I think a program like this could potentially be more inclusive, by offering the same benefit to applicants of any race.

2) AA supporters bring up the unique economic and educational challenges statistically linked to being a URM.

Another valid and important point, but certainly not a universal one. Just being black, hispanic or 1/16 cherokee does not make you disadvantaged. This should not be an assumption, but instead needs to be considered on an applicant to applicant basis. Frankly, if I were a minority, I would be offended by the assumption that I must come from a poor, single parented family in the ghetto. And I don't care who you are, if you went to an Ivy league school for the last four years, you are no longer at an educational disadvatage (but that's more of a personal hang up). And yes, there is a disadvantaged box on the AMCAS, but it is always a facet of pro AA arguments in medical admissions.

There needs to be accountability for these issues. If these are things that make a discriminatory policy like AA necessary, then we should make sure that they are addressed every time AA is exercised by a medical adcom.

I simply reject the complacency of those who think AA is the best we've got, so we'll take the good with the bad. No! America is full of smart people and we can come up with something better that actually addresses these problems directly. It's not about advocating a specific race, it's about advocating every individual who needs it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: that's absolutely brilliant; now why aren't you a judge on the supreme court? this is exactly the way it should be and then i am 100% supportive of AA or whatever you want to call it. That would be benefiting the underserved and targeting those who need the extra boost; it makes an equitable two way street. :thumbup:

I find it interesting how some are still advocating eliminating the racial inequalities of AA, while not offering solutions to ending racial inequalities in America. I'm all up for a better solution, cause I don't think AA is perfect. So I'm all ears...

Avalanche21 said:
I find it interesting how some are still advocating eliminating the racial inequalities of AA, while not offering solutions to ending racial inequalities in America. I'm all up for a better solution, cause I don't think AA is perfect. So I'm all ears...

See post #121 by PsychoDr

hush hush...i should go back to watching the spelling bee. this could take awhile. :cool:

Will Ferrell said:
The post reads...

"Of course it's a good idea, as it is for those in impoverished communities. we need to fix the problem at it's root, that is to give better education to low income areas, not to give advantages because we failed in the first place."

And this eliminates racial inequalities how? This is only a solution if you're assuming that minorities aren't getting good educations and that is why these problems exist. The root is much deeper than that, my friend, hate to tell ya...

Members don't see this ad :)
Rafa said:
hush hush...i should go back to watching the spelling bee. this could take awhile. :cool:

Haha, funny I read your post before you changed it...maybe we should all just go do something else for now...

Will Ferrell said:
thank you; i thought I addressed this and when no one cared i repeated it again in post #146. :D

Psycho Doctor said:
thank you; i thought I addressed this and when no one cared i repeated it again in post #146. :D

"I couldn't agree more with this. I totally support AA to benefit ghetto kids of any race. But I also believe the gov't should be doing something to fix this problem at the bottom, get these kids out of the ghetto and provide them with a good education starting in kindergarten, so they will not need any extra push by the time they reach college."

1) As I said before, education is part of it but not all of it. Discrimination exists in other areas

2) I think your proposal is good, but nothing's going to happen unless actions is taken. Perhaps you should write your congressmen to get something started.

Rafa said:

hahah that is what I am watching :cool:

Avalanche21 said:
The post reads...

"Of course it's a good idea, as it is for those in impoverished communities. we need to fix the problem at it's root, that is to give better education to low income areas, not to give advantages because we failed in the first place."

And this eliminates racial inequalities how? This is only a solution if you're assuming that minorities aren't getting good educations and that is why these problems exist. The root is much deeper than that, my friend, hate to tell ya...
well we can't change history; so we can only work with what we've got in the present. The reason AA exists (at least my understanding of it's original intent or at least why some people argue the need for it) is to even the playing field...those not given the same opportunities as other students can't possibly compete in the same way. Schools want to se eyou took advantag eof the opportunities given to you. The poor don't have the same opportunities especially in education. We as a country need to fix this so everyone does get proper education, then it would even out the playing field.

Psycho Doctor said:
well we can't change history; so we can only work with what we've got in the present. The reason AA exists (at least my understanding of it's original intent or at least why some people argue the need for it) is to even the playing field...those not given the same opportunities as other students can't possibly compete in the same way. Schools want to se eyou took advantag eof the opportunities given to you. The poor don't have the same opportunities especially in education. We as a country need to fix this so everyone does get proper education, then it would even out the playing field.

how come you did not respond to gostudy's post. It is pretty informative.

Psycho Doctor said:

It would help, but it wouldn't even things out. Check post #68. Redlining and other discrimination in areas such as housing, banking, etc... exist. Education will help, but it won't solve the problems in those areas either. And yes, you you're right...you can't change history. But if you have a better solution now, then taking political action would be the best way. If you feel strongly about it, then do so. Writing on SDN isn't going to change AA, it isn't going to magically go away.

gostudy said:

Avalanche21 said:
"I couldn't agree more with this. I totally support AA to benefit ghetto kids of any race. But I also believe the gov't should be doing something to fix this problem at the bottom, get these kids out of the ghetto and provide them with a good education starting in kindergarten, so they will not need any extra push by the time they reach college."

1) As I said before, education is part of it but not all of it. Discrimination exists in other areas

2) I think your proposal is good, but nothing's going to happen unless actions is taken. Perhaps you should write your congressmen to get something started.
i've gotten involved in developing programs to tutor underpriviledged kids and to donate books; we can all do that. It's only a small start but it has to start somewhere and every little bit helps. it won't eliminate the problem but for every person you helped, it's one more person who has been given a chance. Early intervention is the key; get them out of the cycle of failure; give them a chance to help themselves.

Psycho Doctor said:
i've gotten involved in developing programs to tutor underpriviledged kids and to donate books; we can all do that. It's only a small start but it has to start somewhere and every little bit helps. it won't eliminate the problem but for every person you helped, it's one more person who has been given a chance. Early intervention is the key; get them out of the cycle of failure; give them a chance to help themselves.

Good for you :thumbup: (FYI, no sarcasm). I don't really care if people are for or against AA, as long as people recognize their own privilege and how it has helped them thus far...even for those that have worked hard

aliziry said:
how come you did not respond to gostudy's post. It is pretty informative.
because i didn'tr really have a response to it. For the most part, I agree with it, except that i have stepped foot into a med school classroom...for an entire year, and therefore i have also filled out an AMCAS.

The reason people are complaining is because the process is so cut-throat, regardless of how few URMs get in they could be taking a seat from someone who not only has better stats but also a better application overall.

But i certainly believe everyone has to present themselves and they have control over what activities, grades and LORs they have to present to adcoms.

Psycho Doctor said:
because i didn'tr really have a response to it. For the most part, I agree with it, except that i have stepped foot into a med school classroom...for an entire year, and therefore i have also filled out an AMCAS.

The reason people are complaining is because the process is so cut-throat, regardless of how few URMs get in they could be taking a seat from someone who not only has better stats but also a better application overall.

But i certainly believe everyone has to present themselves and they have control over what activities, grades and LORs they have to present to adcoms.

Im not American so I am not well informed about AA and such but Ive noticed that people would complain about race based admissions as well as economic based admissions. People will always complain about med school.

Avalanche21 said:
Good for you :thumbup: (FYI, no sarcasm). I don't really care if people are for or against AA, as long as people recognize their own privilege and how it has helped them thus far...even for those that have worked hard
oh i do recognize the priviledges I've been granted. i thank God and my parents everyday. But I am also keenly aware of how the other side lives. My parents had my brother and me exposed to it from a very young age. From the time we were little kids we went with my parents to help out in soup kitchens, and homeless shelters; today we still volunteer in them and see the suffering first hand. There's a lot more but i won't bore you with the details.

And I agree about writing to our congressmen; if enough of us vioce our opinions perhaps someone will listen.

Avalanche21 said:

That's whole nother ball of wax, much more important...and I don't have the slightest. But, being a med school applicant, I do feel that it's easier to speculate on progressive reforms in admissions that could offer benefits to all concerned parties.

NotAnMD said:
That's whole nother ball of wax, much more important...and I don't have the slightest. But, being a med school applicant, I do feel that it's easier to speculate on progressive reforms in admissions that could offer benefits to all concerned parties.
when those responsible (for evaluating whether or not AA stays) asks for progressive reforms in admission, I'm sure there will be tons of suggestions.