URM with 3.0 gpa and abundant ec's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpudge12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks in advance for your help!

What are my chances at MD in US, I'm also open to other options that will allow me to do residency in US.

I will apply this upcoming year with a 3.0 GPA with a 3.2sGPA with all A's in chemistry premed classes.
Major: Biology
California State University Student
Taking MCAT in may. TPR review course starts this week.

EC's
-Primary Author of an organic chemistry manuscript.
-primary author of a cancer biology abstract that I will present in New Orleans in April 2009 at FASEB convention.
-2 years organic chemistry research
-1 year work experience as a phlebotomist (3,000 hrs experience w over 1500 blood draws). Yes I have a license for that NCPT-1.
-EMT-B although never took up a job as an EMT
-Represented my country in water polo at a national tournament back in 2005
- MARC fellow (NIH scholarship for minorities)
-CALTECH summer research program in organic chemistry summer of 2009
-Coach of YMCA swim team for 1 year
-Founder of a soccer team that serves the community for two years est. 2007
-Personal statement will be on how I lost 100 lbs through diet and excerise.
-volunteered in OBGYN and Internal medicine at a Hospital shadowing residents in respective programs for 1 year
-Volunteered in OBGYN clinic in Central American public hospital

Does being a URM (Central American) help my cause?

THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Without knowing your MCAT score, year-by-year GPA trend, and US residency status, it's difficult to answer your question. Unless you have some African heritage, you might want to check with SDN's "Underrepresented in Healthcare" forum to see the AMCAS (MD application service) definition of an underrepresented minority.

Your application GPA is very low. You might want to get an extra year of GPA repair in (getting straight As) to improve your application number before applying. Did you get any Cs in prerequisite classes? If so, you may need to repeat them.

I'd be interested in hearing what your premed advisor has suggested you do.

What are the application criteria for your home country? Are you competitive there? If you complete medical school in another country and do well on the USMLE Step I and II, you may be able to match into a US residency program.

Thanks for the reply!

I am a US citizen born and raised here in the USA.
B/c I have excelled in science courses I am confident that with a lot of hard work I can earn a 34 or above on the MCAT.

GPA
1 yr- 2.75
2 yr- 3.5
3 yr -3.3
4 yr- 3.0

My premed advisor suggest I look at other options, but said I may have a chance at some lower tier schools that could honor a high mcat score to offset a low gpa. Furthermore being that my EC's are strong I could have a chance. I did spend 40 hours a week in 2008 working on my publication along with 20 hours a week working at quest diagnostics on top of school I think I can handle it. ITs worth a try she said.

I am interested in studying in the Carribean or in my native central American country and then coming back for residency.

Chances at a lower tier medical school or Caribbean big 4 schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
woops forgot the grades stuff!

G chem 1 A
g cem 2 B+
O chem 1 A
o chem 2 A
Biochem B+

G Bio 1 B+
G Bio 2 B
Genetics B+
Cell Bio A-
Human Phys A-

Calc C

Chances at a lower tier medical school or Caribbean big 4 schools?
With your excellent extracurriculars, if you got a high MCAT score, a less-selective US med school might be a possibility. Have you looked into the med schools in Puerto Rico where Spanish fluency is required?

I'm not an expert on the Caribbean schools, but there's a ton of information waiting for you in the link I gave above. And I hear Cuba is taking Internationals these days.