Urologic Term - Need Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keyslammer

Medical Transcriptionist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks! I am a medical transcriptionist and come on here from time to time to ask for assistance with a specific term or word, etc. I am in the middle of an H and P for a 60-year-old lady diagnosed with stress incontinence.

The physician says, "After cystoscopy the patient began treatment for the interstitial cystitis with 4 treatments of VD and SO instillation.

Has anyone ever heard of this? VD and SO instillation (versus installation)? Should it be VDSO or VD AND SO as she stated and is it "installation" or "instillation"? I appreciate any help you all can give me so I don't have to leave a blank on this Residents report. I know she doesn't have time to go in and fill in my blanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks! I am a medical transcriptionist and come on here from time to time to ask for assistance with a specific term or word, etc. I am in the middle of an H and P for a 60-year-old lady diagnosed with stress incontinence.

The physician says, "After cystoscopy the patient began treatment for the interstitial cystitis with 4 treatments of VD and SO instillation.

Has anyone ever heard of this? VD and SO instillation (versus installation)? Should it be VDSO or VD AND SO as she stated and is it "installation" or "instillation"? I appreciate any help you all can give me so I don't have to leave a blank on this Residents report. I know she doesn't have time to go in and fill in my blanks.

"Instillation" is a common uro term for placing a liquid in the bladder for a certain time period, then removing it.

I'm not sure what the "V" is, but if you take the rest of the transcription "D-and-S-O" its probably "DMSO" aka dimethyl sulfoxide, a common treatment modality for IC.

I appreciate your help immensely. I believe you are correct. I did have to leave a blank because I couldn't leave the report up as the doctor was needing it for surgery.

I did want to mention that later in the report the physician said, "Q-Tip test was performed and cough was 30". I guess they were testing the stress incontinence and bladder capacity before she would start "losing it". LOL Thanks again SO much for your help. You all are invaluable.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah the 30 is likely 30 degrees, which is probably the angulation noted of an intraurethral qtip as the patient coughs or valsalva. its a measure of urethral mobility

He said DMSO. It's a standard intravesical therapy for interstitial cystitis.

Oops just noted the previous response....