doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
I haven't, but everything at the Mayo clinic is awesome, and urology shouldn't be an exception. You're best bet is early fall (ie before it gets cold).

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Most of the rotations at the Mayo Clinic are great. Remember that you'll need a suit for clinic days (i.e., no white coats in the clinic). You'll likely get a better experience with certain consultants (instead of attendings, Mayo calls them consultants) than others. Although I don't know them all, I can recommend Dr. Gettman or Dr. Mynderse; if they give you a choice with who you will work that is. A list of the Mayo Clinic urology staff and their interests is available here. If they don't directly ask you with whom you will work (since you will be with the same consultant's service for the entire rotation), I would ask the education coordinator specifically and they should be able to hook you up. Although the Mayo Clinic itself tends to be quite conservative in general, most of the consultants are pretty laid back. Scut work in the hospital is pretty minimal since the support staff is second to none. Feel free to send me a message if you have some more specific questions.

bobbyseal

Boat boy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
mpp said:
Most of the rotations at the Mayo Clinic are great. Remember that you'll need a suit for clinic days (i.e., no white coats in the clinic). You'll likely get a better experience with certain consultants (instead of attendings, Mayo calls them consultants) than others. Although I don't know them all, I can recommend Dr. Gettman or Dr. Mynderse; if they give you a choice with who you will work that is. A list of the Mayo Clinic urology staff and their interests is available here. If they don't directly ask you with whom you will work (since you will be with the same consultant's service for the entire rotation), I would ask the education coordinator specifically and they should be able to hook you up. Although the Mayo Clinic itself tends to be quite conservative in general, most of the consultants are pretty laid back. Scut work in the hospital is pretty minimal since the support staff is second to none. Feel free to send me a message if you have some more specific questions.
Needing multiple suits is important here. The docs do clinic one day and then OR the next day. I'm not sure if you do the preceptor thing like the residents do where you follow one attending throughout the month. Or you might just hang out in the OR and not do much clinic. Either way just make sure to spend time with Dr. Blute and the program director, forgot his name. That'll increase your odds of matching up there.

Just remember, multiple sclerosis is associated with higher lattitudes. Be careful!