Urology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catamaranpies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the info on MODS and am confused by the Army Urology match. There is a slide that states something about 1 year of GS at a base and then going to Duke or UT San Antonio. Do all of the urology residents train in civilian programs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking at the info on MODS and am confused by the Army Urology match. There is a slide that states something about 1 year of GS at a base and then going to Duke or UT San Antonio. Do all of the urology residents train in civilian programs?

Thanks!

No. The Army runs four urology residencies: Tripler (Honolulu, HI), Madigan (Tacoma, WA), NCC (Washington, D.C.), and SAUSHEC (San Antonio, TX).
I'm fairly certain that they're all 6 years in length now, one of which is for research. For the program I was most familiar with, the resident was essentially a general surgeon for the first two years. I'm not sure to what you're referring at Duke and UTSA. Link?

Thanks!

When I was a resident there were two tracks for Urology at BAMC. Both residents did one year of general surgery. One finished off Urology at BAMC the other finished off at UT San Antonio. Not sure of the Duke thing.

catamaranpies,
you may have already found the answer to this question. If not:
The Army has the four programs that were mentioned in this thread as well as at UTSA and Duke. Both of these civilian programs can be matched into by an Army fourth year med student (HPSP or USUHS) via the Army matching system/ERAS. Duke is graduating their first Army resident this year, so it is a relatively new program as far as Army involvement goes.
What typically gets done is if you match at Duke through the Army match you will do your intern year at the new Walter Reed in Bethesda. If you match at UTSA, you will do your intern year at BAMC. Both of these intern years are in general surgery. Then its off to Duke or UT to finish up your urology training. Hope this helps. Good luck