Jive Turkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2002
Visit site
Status
Any GU people around that can offer advice on the Uro match?

# of programs to apply to
programs with/without step 1 cutoffs (and what the cutoff's are)
interview tips specific to Uro

or any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated :D

HOOZYODADDY

15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Status
From one pd i talked to the cutoffs are generally 230ish, this is before they even look at your app, lor etc. If you meet the cutoff then you have the interview. I sent out my apps first week of Sept. , LOR werent posted on ERAS til last week and got my first interview last week. I'm not expert on this match since I myself decided on Uro this summer but so far it seems alil political. Anybody else have any thoughts, input, advice etc on this match??????????:confused:

About the Ads

dr.evil

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2001
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
From one pd i talked to the cutoffs are generally 230ish
I don't believe this is true. Many of my classmates matched with much lower scores than that at respectable places. The average board score for Urology last year was 224 anwyay.

HOOZYODADDY

15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Status
I'm not stating facts or stats. I'm just passing along what a PD at one institution told me. If you want more details of our convo. PM me.

As far as interwiews:
U Penn
Ohio State
and Home of course
I hope its still early cuz I thought
I would have a few more by now

i_bite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
I got:

Case Western
U Penn/Hershey

And home, of course. I'm a bit freaked out too, I'd expect to have more than that by now. Anybody else???

Foley

15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
I've received 6 interviews so far. Personally, I think since this is the first year using ERAS for most GU programs, they're probably a little slow. I wouldn't worry at this point.

jt999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
I have 6 so far...

Mt. Sinai
University of Kansas
Medical College of Wisconsin
Medical College of Ohio
St. Louis University
Brookdale Hospital

My apps were submitted on 9/13 and my letters were posted about a week and a half later.

How many programs did everyone apply to?
How many interviews are you guys planning on going on?

i_bite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
I have 8 at this point.

Mt. Sinai
U Maryland
U St. Louis
U Miami
UMDNJ/NJ med school
Penn state/Hershey
Montefiore Bronx
Case Western

Some of those places only offer 1-2 dates, so there isn't much to choose from. I figured about 15 interviews is a good number, maybe 20 if I'm very motivated. The actual number will depend on how I can plan my trips, because some dates will overlap, I'm sure.

Anyone heard from any DC or PA programs yet?

liquid magma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
I am an MSIII and am very interested in Urology. I was wondering what type of Step 1 scores you guys got to get so many good interviews. I am worried that my score might be below the cutoff for most (if not all) of the stronger program. (I scored a 93/229, which is several points below my school's average this year).

Any info from people who have already applied would be a great help to me.

Thanks and good luck.:confused: :confused: :D :D ;) ;)

i_bite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
Liquid, you should have no problems matching in a decent program, assuming the rest of your stats are OK. Most people that I know who are applying range from 220 to 230s. So relax, just do well in your clinical rotations!

About the Ads

dr hibbard

15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2002
Springfield
Visit site
Status
How goes the interviews? I got a few last week (now up to 8) and thought they'd keep on coming. Its been kinda slow lately. Maybe its early, but I'd like to get all this scheduling done. Are all of your offers coming via e-mail- I'm tired of checking my e-mail 5+ times per day wondering when the next offer will come. +pissed+

Hope some of you are doing better or are at least less nervous...

jt999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
I know how you feel. I've been checking my email every half an hour or so. I have 8 so far and am already starting to encouter alot of conflicts. I think I need a secretary...

Anyway, I had my first interview today. I had a resident show me around for about an hour and then had interviews with 2 attendings in the department. The interviews themselves wer emuch shorter than I expected. The first interviewer basically asked me 2 questions and then went on to describe the program to me. The second interview reviewed my application materials and then asked me a few questions.

i_bite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
Hmmm...I have not received any invites for the past 2 days. They were coming in daily last week. It is pretty frustrating! This e-mail checking thing is becoming an obsessive habit. +pissed+

HOOZYODADDY

15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Status
12 interviews so far:
9 by email
1 by telephone call
2 by good ol' mailman Fred

Anyone doing anything to prepare for these ?

i_bite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
Yeah, good question! Preparing for the interviews I mean. Anybody doing anything besides reviewing the programs' websites? Also, can you guys list what intervies you got and for what dates so that the rest of us know what to plan and not to plan for!

HOOZYODADDY

15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Status
OK...I'm upto 16 now. My schedule is beginning to tighten up. Whats the word round town bout the # of interviews one should accept and go to?

Does anyone have any interesting interview stories yet?

Mine are pretty blah but I did get pimped at one. Very unintimdating though.

dr hibbard

15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2002
Springfield
Visit site
Status
I'd like to go on 15-16 interviews, and so far I've scheduled 14. Have heard from on 21 programs (18 invites, 3 rejects) out of the 35 I applied to. Have yet to hear from Hopkins, Duke Northwestern, Michigan and all Boston programs I applied to- anyone else hear from these programs?

Had only one interview so far- very benign, no pimping, just a lot of Q's as to future goals, a little about my PS, etc. Another interview in a few days and 2 next week will really get the ball rollin'.

Good luck to all of you
:D

About the Ads

PPdoc

15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2002
New Orleans, LA
Visit site
Status
Hey everyone -- for a while I thought I was the only GU medstudent on this forum.

I too am checking my email every nanosecond or so.

Have received 16 offers and 2 rejections. Most were by email but 1 was letter only, 1 was phone call only (she even tracked me down on an away rotation)

I have heard that ~12 interviews means that you will probably match, but I personally know of a guy with one interview who matched, and another will over 15 who didn't match (he only interviewed at big name programs -- no safety net)

Wish you all the best of luck -- see you on the interview trail.

Anyone else going to Miama next week? (Nov 1-2)

HOOZYODADDY

15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Status
Still no rejections, did get one wait list. I got 3 more interviews on Monday but then everything died down again. I guess we have a few more days before its all over.

Good luck to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
J

Jive Turkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2002
Visit site
Status
Anybody know how many applicants Ohio State accepts each year into the program? The AUA site says 1, but I thought it was 2/year.

Keep the interview stories coming guys... I could use the advice. I'm hitting the trail next week (Yeah, I know, I'm running behind the pack :( )

MayoMan

15+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2001
Duluth, MN
Visit site
Status
Hi All,

I find urology to be a fascinating field, and I've actually done a little research involving the genetics involved with prostate cancer. My question is this-I'm only a first year, and so far i've been doing about average in all my classes, sometimes a little above average. Would the combination of these grades and a decent (>230) board score make me competitive for a urology residency? How about at some of the more competitive programs, e.g. Mayo, Hopkins, etc.? Thanks!

Cheers,
MayoMan

Foley

15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hey Jive Turkey,

Just got back from an Ohio State interview. They're currently having to reapply for 2 spots (they lost 1 due to a case log screw-up). They're up for review again in Dec. and the chairman says he's confident they'll be approved for 2 spots and will be able to match 2 this year. Hope this helps.

PPdoc

15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2002
New Orleans, LA
Visit site
Status
Have gone to ~4 interviews, leaving tomorrow for California for another.

Most have been kind of boring -- same questions, etc.

I did get pimped at one program by every interviewer -- questions about staging, the role of antiandrogens in PCa tx, etc. Apparently, they do that to all applicants.

I was blindsided by the questions, but many of the fellow interviewees knew about this program's reputation for pimping applicants.

Has anyone else heard of or experienced programs that pimp interviewees?

One of the advantages of boards like SDN is the ability to share info and experiences, as well as warning others.

[In spite of the unexpected questions, I actually liked the program a lot; I wish that I could have impressed them more with my medical knowlege]

OP
J

Jive Turkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2002
Visit site
Status
Anyone been to any interviews in the Midwest? Any thoughts regarding the interview experience or the program itself would be great. Thanks.

dr hibbard

15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2002
Springfield
Visit site
Status
There is only one program that I have heard pimps interviewees- Miami. I did not apply there so I'm not speaking form personal experience. I just completed my 6th interview this weekend and have yet to be pimped on an interview (knock on wood). All that I've gotten were standard questions, and a few interviewers who ask none- just keep inviting me to ask questions. Another one I heard (can't recall the program)was that someone asked candidates to tell them a joke- so maybe you should have a good clean joke handy. Good luck on the trail!

jt999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
Jive turkey-

I've been on sevral interviews in the midwest. My advice is that if you're form one of the coasts, be prepared to answer if you're really willing to move to the midwest. They always seem to ask me that, considering that I am a lifelong New Yorker.

jt999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
Medical College of Ohio was the place where they asked for a joke. In addition, they asked you what you would like your tombstone to say and about your favorite book. So far, this has been my most difficult interview.

About the Ads

calico

15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
Visit site
Status
The most common question I have had at my interviews was whether I had any questions about their program. Literally, some interviews have involved me walking in, them telling me I am a good candidate with an impressive application, and then asking me what questions I have for them......By the end of the interview day I am asking interviewers the same questions!

I have mainly been interviewing in the midwest and I have found people to be pretty nice and NO pimping up to this point (6 done so far). In fact, as per the above description, only a few interviewers have substantive questions for me. I have NO idea how they are ranking us but its hard to believe they gain much from these interviews short of making sure we are not psychos!

Anyone have any idea how you know if these programs like you? Everyone at home asks how interviews have went and I really have no idea! I am not sure what to loook for?

Good luck to all of you on the interview trail...see you out there.:D

jt999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
I was wondering if anyone knew which programs still haven't invited people for interviews. My invites have been slowing down substantially over the past 2 or so weeks.

kinkedureter

15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2002
florida
Visit site
Status
Does anyone know anything about the NJ programs?

I got interviews at both the Newark and RWJ progams but someone had told me they were both in trouble and had no chairmen. Can anyone verify this?

Has anyone heard bout any programs out there being malignant or any programs with tough interviews?

I will keep you guys posted about my interviews.

OP
J

Jive Turkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2002
Visit site
Status
anyone with thoughts on any of these three Urology programs?

Maimonides
NY Medical College
SUNY Stony Brook

Thanks.

jt999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
I've heard that Newark isn't such a great program from some of the students who have rotated through their urology department. Not sure about their Chairman status though.

The only thing I know about NYMC is that you rotate through several different hospitals including St. Vincents in NYC. I also heard that one intern will be asigned to St. Vincents for their intern year.

SUNY- Stony Brook is a 2+4 program. The first 2 years are just GS without any urology months. GS at SB just went to a nightfloat system, so i think you're on call only about once every couple of weeks. The residents there are very nice and know their stuff. The attendings are also very nice and they are pretty easy to work with. You spend a total of 1 year at the Northport VA, with the rest of the time at Stony Brook. There is no dedicated research time. Also, the urology service does all the kidney transplants. Stony Brook is about 60 miles from manhattan in a very pleasant, but boring town. If you have any more specific questions about SB, let me know...

kinkedureter

15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2002
florida
Visit site
Status
The word around the trail about maimo's is that it isnt a good program. I also heard more specific stuff I wouldnt post here not to offend anyone. But if anyone really wants to know you may email me.

As far as NYMC, one student their told me it was oh-kayyy but he told me if i had an offer somewhere else for the same day go elsewhere. I decided to accept another offer for that day.

JT u sound like your from SUNY-SB. If thats the case, one of your collegues told me he wouldnt want to stay there. Dunno how to take that bit of advise.

Any other word on any other programs?????????/

jt999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
kinked-

It's interesting that you heard that about SUNY-SB. I'm pretty damn sure I'm the only medical student that has completed a Sub-I at SB this year. Anyway, if your looking for a high-powered academic program, SB would not be the place for you, but if you're looking for a place where they train good urologists in a nice environment, I would recommend SB.

I would be very happy if I ended up at SB for residency.

i_bite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
Do any of you guys know anything about Beth Israel program and Long Island Jewish? I'm getting a bit burned out with all the interviews and trying to figure out which ones to drop. Thanks!

jt999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
All I know is that BI invited something like 87 people for interviews for one spot. I would suggest you call to confirm your interview date. I thought I had a confirmed date via email, but when I called, I was notified I was now on the wait-list. One of the residents (PGY-3) at my school did a month there as a MSIV and he has strongly discouraged me from going there. I'm not all that hugely disappointed that I have been "uninvited" for an interview. On the other hand, you can't beat the location of BI in Manhattan.

kinkedureter

15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2002
florida
Visit site
Status
Thanks on the SB info JT. I'm trying to get the word on LIJ myself since the date they gave me conflicts with another. I tried to change it put they said I needed to find someone who would switch with me (hasnt happened).

jt999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
Not sure where you're from, but I personally wouldn't come to LIJ if you have to come form a far distance. Unless you can drive, I wouldn't bother.

i_bite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
JT,

I'm from MD, it's a 3 hour drive for me, which is doable, since the interview is on Sunday morning at 10:30 am. I'm just wondering if it's even worth going to. Any info?:confused:

PPdoc

15+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2002
New Orleans, LA
Visit site
Status
about 3/4 of the way done with interviews...

So far, Miami was the only program that pimped.

At MUSC (So. Carolina) one of the faculty had a rapid fire list of questions. The ones I remember are:
1. if you couldn't do uro, what would you do?
2. if you couldn't be a doctor, what would you do?
3. what's wrong with medicine today?
4. what's wrong with doctors today?
5. what was the last book you read? why?

he didn't seem to be that interested in our answers; as soon as we responded, he fired another question. I asked the other applicants, and they had the same experience.

The most frustrating experience during this process is sitting down in someone's office (who obviously hasn't read much of your file) and them asking you, "what questions do you have?"

this has happened at most of my interviews -- i almost prefer pimping or a "pressure interview," at least it would be more interesting

Does anyone know anything about Worcester (U. Mass)??

thanks

UMU2004

15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2002
NY
Visit site
Status
Hey, I'm a third year interested in Urology. Can any of you tell me what a good time frame is for doing urology electives, AIs, away electives, etc? My school has a two week required clerkship in the fourth year, which I should probably try to change to third year, right? Also, how important is urology research in getting interviews/matching? (I know you guys haven't matched yet, but do you think research is a must-do to match?)

Thanks,
UMU

jt999

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
Do your electives early in the 4th year (july, august) so you can get your letters. I don't think research is absolutely necessary, but it definately helps. Talk to the urologists at your school and see if you can get hooked up with clinical research. Its a pretty fast way to pump out some publications and goto some meetings. Also I would recommend doing an elective where there are some big name people. In my experience, alot of interviewers have just basically skipped over my letters from people who they don't know personally or haven't heard of. THe letters form the famous guys seem to be the ones that they like to read. Hope this info helps!

On a different note, how have people been handling thank you letters? Are you guys writing them to everyone, no one, or chairmen/program directors?

BTW, it was very nice to meet some of you in person on the interview trail. Nice to finally put faces with nicknames.

i_bite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
JT!

It was nice to meet you indeed :)
I have been writing thank you letters to Chairmen only. I think they are the ones who run the show. I did not do thank you letters right after the interviews. Rather, I clumped "It is close to the end of the interview trail" and "I am very interested in your program" and "Thank you for the interview" in the same letter. I just physically have no time to do them separately.

By the way, how did your interview in New Brunswick go?

OP
J

Jive Turkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2002
Visit site
Status
I've got one more 'view left, but I'm already working on my rank list.

I've interviewed at 12 places, which I have been told is a "magic" number of some sort in terms of matching. But I'm debating whether to rank some programs I've visited. Is 12 the magic # for programs to interview at, or the magic # of programs to rank. I know its no guarantee, but I'd like any thoughts on the matter.

Also, lets get a quick survey of how many programs everyone interviewed at. I'm theorizing that the # of interviews offered went up cuz of ERAS.

Another point of debate. I've been told by one GU resident that its rare for someone to match at a program that they've ranked about 8th or lower because programs usually fill their spots before they get that low on the list (or something like that... i can't remember exactly what the reasoning was, but it seemed to make sense :rolleyes:
Any comments on this?

About the Ads