US 3 year EM resident looking to work in ontario, canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wfuman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a resident training in a US 3-year emergency medicine program and looking to possibly returning home to Ontario to work when I graduate. Does anyone have any experience with this or where I can find out what my requirements will be?

Members don't see this ad.

To have full practice rights in Canada, I have heard of canadians in american training programs having to do fellowships to be viewed as equavelent boards wise

My understanding is that in ontario, that requirement has been waived, per the CPSO website.

CPSO Pathway 3

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a resident training in a US 3-year emergency medicine program and looking to possibly returning home to Ontario to work when I graduate. Does anyone have any experience with this or where I can find out what my requirements will be?

I did that for a while. Three very important questions:

- are you an American citizen?
- did you graduate from an American medical school?
- did you complete an ABEM residency in the United States?

If the answer to all three is yes, it becomes substantially easier.

thanks for the advice everyone and the links. appreciate it

is there an alternative route to doing the 1 year supervised practice when I come back to Canada? I heard from someone that you can take the MCCQE 1 and 2 and can avoid this process

My understanding is that the pathway requires a one year supervised employment situation. At any rate, if you aren't a Canadian citizen or permanent resident you will need to find a hospital willing to sponsor you. As Canada tries to actively preserve its jobs (particularly it's good ones) for Canadians you can't just walk in as a US citizen with a work Visa and go to work wherever you want.

If it helps any, if you are looking to be a full time physician, I think you are making the right move.

Did you find the answer to this? Do you know if a 3 year residency and 2 year fellowship might satisfy the requirements?

Did you find the answer to this? Do you know if a 3 year residency and 2 year fellowship might satisfy the requirements?

If it is an ACGME accredited fellowship then it meets the training requirement for licensure and certification. AS Old_Mil pointed out, there may be other hurdles.

My understanding is that, in Ontario, the year of "supervised practice" is more a technicality and not a true limiter in most cases. That said, you probably won't be landing a job in Toronto...

My understanding is that the pathway requires a one year supervised employment situation. At any rate, if you aren't a Canadian citizen or permanent resident you will need to find a hospital willing to sponsor you. As Canada tries to actively preserve its jobs (particularly it's good ones) for Canadians you can't just walk in as a US citizen with a work Visa and go to work wherever you want.

If it helps any, if you are looking to be a full time physician, I think you are making the right move.

Are you ever going to write a blog about your experiences there, or a guide about how to do it?

Reactions: 1 user
Its certainly possible but the main problem is that most of the available jobs in canada are at undesirable hospitals that have been unable to find canadians to fill the positions. Basically unless you're okay with working in rural northern ontario its not worth the hassle to get an ontario license.

"My Un-cle has a country place. That no one knows about. He said it used to be a farm, before the mo-tor law."

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if there's a pathway to get a license in British Columbia or Alberta? What does it look like? I tried to figure this out but looks really confusing on the BC website...

Anyone know if there's a pathway to get a license in British Columbia or Alberta? What does it look like? I tried to figure this out but looks really confusing on the BC website...

I spent a night in Calgary a couple of years ago. Seemed like a decent place, gave off a little canadian denver vibes. With global warming and the evolving decimation of our profession here, might not be a bad place.

Say you'd be willing to work in a remote location for a year, are you than able to get a position in a desirable city, or are you stuck in BFE for the duration?

My understanding is that 5 years ACGME accredited training is the only way in BC. Alberta might be possible but I haven't really been able to figure that one out either.

I may write a blog regarding my experiences someday. They were all very positive.

It's absolutely not true that you'll be restricted to working in rural northern Ontario. There are multiple departments near Toronto that will hire you if you are ABEM boarded.

The devaluation of the Canadian dollar over the past few years somewhat diminished the appeal for a few years, but given the oversupply of EPs that is developing thanks to new residencies and downward pressures on physician salaries as a result of corporate medicine that temporary situation will probably resolve itself.

British Columbia and Alberta do not offer the alternative pathway to licensure so unless you're a family physician or do a fellowship you're not going to get licensed there. Manitoba and east, I believe, is what you'll be able to manage.

In general, you'll find the average Canadian ED patient to be much more aware, motivated to take care of their health, cooperative, and personable than the average US ED patient. The number of psych issues on a per capita basis was much lower than any US department I've ever worked in. Maybe I was just lucky.

If you're thinking of an overseas position in Canada, Australia, or New Zealand go for it...you may just end up liking it so much that you won't come back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If it is an ACGME accredited fellowship then it meets the training requirement for licensure and certification. AS Old_Mil pointed out, there may be other hurdles.

My understanding is that, in Ontario, the year of "supervised practice" is more a technicality and not a true limiter in most cases. That said, you probably won't be landing a job in Toronto...

A coresident of mine moved to toronto and is practicing at an academic site. So, your understanding is incorrect.

A coresident of mine moved to toronto and is practicing at an academic site. So, your understanding is incorrect.

Can I ask you a huge favor? Im a Canadian citizen doing an EM residency in the US right now (second year) - is there any way you can ask your co resident if I can provide them my information to ask them some questions.

I have been dying to go back home and this is the first I hear of an option. I'd be glad to DM you my name/email if you're ok with it.

I may write a blog regarding my experiences someday. They were all very positive.

It's absolutely not true that you'll be restricted to working in rural northern Ontario. There are multiple departments near Toronto that will hire you if you are ABEM boarded.

The devaluation of the Canadian dollar over the past few years somewhat diminished the appeal for a few years, but given the oversupply of EPs that is developing thanks to new residencies and downward pressures on physician salaries as a result of corporate medicine that temporary situation will probably resolve itself.

British Columbia and Alberta do not offer the alternative pathway to licensure so unless you're a family physician or do a fellowship you're not going to get licensed there. Manitoba and east, I believe, is what you'll be able to manage.

In general, you'll find the average Canadian ED patient to be much more aware, motivated to take care of their health, cooperative, and personable than the average US ED patient. The number of psych issues on a per capita basis was much lower than any US department I've ever worked in. Maybe I was just lucky.

If you're thinking of an overseas position in Canada, Australia, or New Zealand go for it...you may just end up liking it so much that you won't come back.

What is a realistic salary for a FT Canadian EP?

About 80% of your average US EP doc. This is according to a staffing company that gets contracts there from time to time - Global Medical Staffing.

The tax burden can be quite high depending on province (though comparable to CA or NYC).
The top provincial tax rates range from 13% to 21%
Sales tax is 13% (in Ontario)
Medicare tax of 5%
Top income tax of 33%