US Army Veterinary Corps Info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcgintee

OSU c/o 2014!!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any current vet students considering the Veterinary Corps as an option after school or are enrolled in the scholarship program? If so, I would love some information. I am really interested in this opportunity, partially because I've always been looking to join the military but my Veterinary interests have always been first and I didn't think it was possible to do both and partially because of the loan repayment.

2 major concerns of mine though (may be silly) are 1) Will my spouse be able to come with me if I go overseas (wherever that may be)? 2) My dog is a concern. I know this may seem silly but I don't want to have to give up my dog or be away from her for a very long period of time. Does anyone have any info on pets overseas and the military.

Those are really my main concerns. Everything else about the veterinary corps seems great!

Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

A general rule of thumb is if the spouse can go, so can your dog. There are a few places where you can't take your spouse - combat zones (basically anything in the middle east, minus Turkey) and some places in Korea. The UK used to have a 6mo quarantine for imported animals, but I think they have either lifted it or reduced it. You need to define "long time". Deployments are generally 12 to 15 mo, but they try to keep it closer to 12. You get 2 weeks stateside leave. Korea is 18mo for unaccompanied with a stateside leave in the middle.

Feel free to ask any general Army questions I haven't addressed in the other posts. Been wearing green for about 10 years now.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/vet/corps_profiles.jsp

The army vet corps opportunity sounds extremely attractive when it comes to paying for vet school and other benefits, but for those who have direct experience or know someone in the vet corps,

should someone join if they're in it just for the money and benefits?
How much of a say do you have in what kind of vet med you will practice and where?

I've considered it as an option, but my mom always says that the military literally own you once you join. The money sounds good, but I'm not sure if it's worth all the strings that are attached.

I've also been considering this, but I still have a couple issues with it. Mainly, I don't want to be forced into doing a ton of public health stuff, having to go three or four years without working in the field that I intend to pursue (mixed animal).

I am very interested in public health so I feel that this would be a great route to take but I just have no idea what to expect. Is it better to take this route if you're single with no ties back here or is it completely doable and enjoyable even if you have a significant other. Is there anyone out there who has had experience or knows someone who has experienced the veterinary core? I don't really know what to ask?:confused:

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/vet/

I had considered this option but for me it seems that I would be giving up a lot. Is that worth $200,000? I still don't know, but I ultimately decided against it. I went to a talk from an army recruiter about this program. Here is my unofficial facts that I took away, or least the best to my understanding

The minimum commitment is to serve actively for 3 years. But the you serve on inactive duty able to be recalled at any time for the next 3-4 years. You do NOT have ANY choice as to what your assignment will be. You could be a small animal person who wanted to specialize in surgery, but I was told the majority of work for veterinarians in the army is meat inspection. Especially, when you are starting out you most likely are going to travel somewhere and be responsible for finding a safe meat source for the people serving in that area. Additionally, you get paid about 30,000 a year. This amount increases over time with every year served. But if you consider the amount of loans getting paid, it would be more like 70,000 a year. Which is the salary they tell you at the "talks" you will make. Also, what SERIOUSLY changed my mind is a friend of mine who's father is a doctor did the same program to afford medical school. His words.....DON'T DO IT.. THEY WILL NEVER LET YOU GO. All in all, it is not for me.

This website will give you an idea of the different places that you could be stationed at as a vet and will also give a brief description of what your duties will be at that station.
http://vetopportunities.amedd.army.mil/hpsp/hpsp_dutysites.cfm

As far as trying to decide if it is right for you, no one can help you with that b/c it is so individualized. I have 10 years of active duty in both the Marine Corps and the Army and know without a doubt that I will be applying for the scholarship. I have know that for over 5 years now and will not change my mind. For others this is not right for them and if you don't think you want it, then think long and hard about it before signing on the line. Also, remember that if you are married or soon to be married this decision will GREATLY affect your SO. Make sure they are comfortable with moving every 2-4 years and that they are okay being in a state where they may not have family and where you may be on a deployment for 12-18 mos. This is a family decision. My husband and I both love the military, but the seperation that we have been through is something that many of my friends and family do not understand and know that they could not make it through. I have been married for 4.5 years and have actually been with my husband for only about 1.5-2 years of our marriage.
Another suggestion is that using the above website, find a base that is near you, and contact the Army veterinarian and ask to speak with them. I have spoken to at least 3 different vets on 3 different bases and they are always very willing to discuss life in the vet corps with you. If they are not there or busy, make sure to leave your number so they can call you back. Remember, they went through the same things that we did getting into school, etc, and they are going to be willing to help!

Another opportunitity is to look for civilian veterinary jobs with the Army.

You can find these at www.usajobs.com

They do not include full tuition but it gives you many of the benefits of being in the army without the committment, often including loan repayment programs (often up to $30k/yr).

Also, what SERIOUSLY changed my mind is a friend of mine who's father is a doctor did the same program to afford medical school. His words.....DON'T DO IT.. THEY WILL NEVER LET YOU GO. All in all, it is not for me.

That may be due to doing residency. If you do residency in miltary, you will increase required active service time. And my understanding is that there is lot of pressure to stay on (and some incentives.) My understanding is don't do it if you aren't interested in the military in general.

Additionally, you get paid about 30,000 a year. This amount increases over time with every year served. But if you consider the amount of loans getting paid, it would be more like 70,000 a year. Which is the salary they tell you at the "talks" you will make.

During school (pre-DVM) rank is 2nd Lieutenant, with ~$1,900/ mo during school + $ for tuition. I don't know any more about the scholarship program. My understanding is DVM commissions at Captain or above (previous rank.) Captain starts around ~$65k. Then the loan repayment is via Health Professions Loan Repayment at ~$38k pre-tax/yr up to $114.

This is my understanding w/recruiter and husband (ex-army.)

I am interested in the US Army Veterinary Corps and am wondering what the next step is. I am waitlisted at one school, and waiting to hear back from 2 others and want to get more information about applying for the HPSP should I get an acceptance. I talked to an Army recruiter and he told me I needed to take the ASVAB and join the reserves first. He also told me that the training required each year may interfere with my class schedule. Is this information correct? :confused: Thanks

I talked to an Army recruiter and he told me I needed to take the ASVAB and join the reserves first. He also told me that the training required each year may interfere with my class schedule. Is this information correct? :confused: Thanks

No. Most regular Army recruiters don't know s*** about the Health Professions Scholarship Program.

Read up on the program, then if you are sure you are interested, contact a medical-department recruiter. (The Army Veterinary Corps is a division of the Army Medical Corps.) While the medical department recuriters may not always give you a straight answer, at least they know about what they're talking about. Usually.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/vet/ Additionally, you get paid about 30,000 a year. This amount increases over time with every year served. But if you consider the amount of loans getting paid, it would be more like 70,000 a year. Which is the salary they tell you at the "talks" you will make.
Completely false and shows absolutely zero fact checking. All military pay is available online. As a single, brand new VCO without the HSPS (>2 yrs of service) stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC you would be looking at $50,260 or so after taxes annually. If married, that goes to $53,800+. The only taxes you pay is on base pay and special pay ($100/mo for non-Airborne status VCO). The break down is as follows: $3660.60 base pay (pre-tax), $223.04 BAS (food), $1527 (M)/$1230(S) BAH (housing). Pay raises come annually in Jan, and individually every second anniversary of service, and year 3. Typical anniversary raise is about $400 monthly and the annual raise is usually about 3% of base pay as well as slight increases in BAS and BAH. Deployments come with no federal taxes other than Social Security and Medicare.
Here's an example of an LES (Leave and Earning Statement) for a married CPT with at least 4 years of enlisted service and 9 years of total service on Airborne status, stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC while currently deployed:
Entitlements:
Base Pay: 5373.90
BAS: 223.04
BAH: 1608.00
Hazardous Duty Pay: 100
Parachute Pay: 150
Imminent Danger Pay: 225.00
Family Separation: 250

Deductions:
Soc Sec: 333.18
Medicare: 77.92
Life Insurance for me ($450K worth) 27.00
Life Insurance family ($100K worth) 5.50
Dental for family: 12.69

Tack on 2.5 days of paid vacation earned monthly (30 annually) plus a variety of 3 and 4 day weekends.

Finally, VCOs, depending on where they are, rack up some major TDY cash. I made an additional $600 this year for spending 1 week in a hotel that the Army paid for, flying down on the Army's dime. You also can make good money when you move, if you do it yourself. They pay you 90% or so of what a commercial mover will charge them. You also get a dislocation allowance, and the gas costs are subtracted from the taxes you would pay on the money they pay you. From a purely financial standpoint, it's not a bad deal.

I want to start this off with: I am not in vet school yet. Therefore I am also not in the Vet Corp. I am a military spouse who has looked into this and spoke with a recruiter.

should someone join if they're in it just for the money and benefits?
How much of a say do you have in what kind of vet med you will practice and where?

I've considered it as an option, but my mom always says that the military literally own you once you join. The money sounds good, but I'm not sure if it's worth all the strings that are attached.

Do not join if you are just in it for the money. You will hate being told what to do, where to live, when and where you can go on vacation/out of town. In the military, they will put you where they need you without regard to your wishes. If you live by this, you will not be disappointed. I think they do try to make you happy, but "service before self." They do own you while you repay them with your time!!

I've also been considering this, but I still have a couple issues with it. Mainly, I don't want to be forced into doing a ton of public health stuff, having to go three or four years without working in the field that I intend to pursue (mixed animal).

See the last few sentences of what I said above. The vet that services the base I live on does a lot of public health, some military working dog, and has clinic days for the military families. I don't know if he sees any large animal.

I am interested in the US Army Veterinary Corps and am wondering what the next step is. I am waitlisted at one school, and waiting to hear back from 2 others and want to get more information about applying for the HPSP should I get an acceptance. I talked to an Army recruiter and he told me I needed to take the ASVAB and join the reserves first. He also told me that the training required each year may interfere with my class schedule. Is this information correct? :confused: Thanks

You can not apply for the scholarship until your first year. They will only pay for years 2, 3, and 4. If they pay for 3 years of school, you serve 3 years. If they pay for 1 year, you serve 1. I suggest doing what the other poster said and talk to a special recruiter. If you go to the vet corp website, you can find a contact page. They were real blunt with me and told me the truth...no sugar coating it or saying what you want to hear to convince you to join. I decided against it because my spouse is in the Air Force. It is harder to be stationed together when 2 branches are involved. I also have a child whom I don't want to be separated from for extended periods of time.

I wish everyone luck in the decision and application process!

If they pay for 3 years of school, you serve 3 years. If they pay for 1 year, you serve 1.

Just one small clarification: if you actually read the HPSP instructions, veterinary scholarship recipients are required to serve a minimum of 3 years active. So if they pay for 3, you serve 3. If they pay for 1, you owe three. Of course, this does not count the remaining 5 years required to fulfill your MSO. Those years can be served IRR, but you need to be aware that as IRR you could be recalled at any point.

Vetcorp is the route I will be taking. I've known this for years, but I'm also no stranger to the military. Most importantly folks, if you are considering the military solely for the money, you are wrong. Military service is much bigger than money- loyalty, duty, honor, and all the joyous PIA that comes with it. ;) Make an informed decision.

Ok, my soapbox is time now over.

Vetcorp is the route I will be taking. I've known this for years, but I'm also no stranger to the military. Most importantly folks, if you are considering the military solely for the money, you are wrong. Military service is much bigger than money- loyalty, duty, honor, and all the joyous PIA that comes with it. ;) Make an informed decision.

Good luck! seriously. most of the folks here who get it are previous military. it is pretty competitive, but sounds like you are approaching it with the right attitude.

Just one small clarification: if you actually read the HPSP instructions, veterinary scholarship recipients are required to serve a minimum of 3 years active. So if they pay for 3, you serve 3. If they pay for 1, you owe three.

Thank you for correcting me! It has been a while since I read it. I have also been reading about another scholarship for a different degree. I must have confused the two.

Completely false and shows absolutely zero fact checking. All military pay is available online. As a single, brand new VCO without the HSPS (>2 yrs of service) stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC you would be looking at $50,260 or so after taxes annually. If married, that goes to $53,800+. The only taxes you pay is on base pay and special pay ($100/mo for non-Airborne status VCO). The break down is as follows: $3660.60 base pay (pre-tax), $223.04 BAS (food), $1527 (M)/$1230(S) BAH (housing). Pay raises come annually in Jan, and individually every second anniversary of service, and year 3. Typical anniversary raise is about $400 monthly and the annual raise is usually about 3% of base pay as well as slight increases in BAS and BAH. Deployments come with no federal taxes other than Social Security and Medicare.
Here's an example of an LES (Leave and Earning Statement) for a married CPT with at least 4 years of enlisted service and 9 years of total service on Airborne status, stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC while currently deployed:
Entitlements:
Base Pay: 5373.90
BAS: 223.04
BAH: 1608.00
Hazardous Duty Pay: 100
Parachute Pay: 150
Imminent Danger Pay: 225.00
Family Separation: 250

Deductions:
Soc Sec: 333.18
Medicare: 77.92
Life Insurance for me ($450K worth) 27.00
Life Insurance family ($100K worth) 5.50
Dental for family: 12.69

Tack on 2.5 days of paid vacation earned monthly (30 annually) plus a variety of 3 and 4 day weekends.

Finally, VCOs, depending on where they are, rack up some major TDY cash. I made an additional $600 this year for spending 1 week in a hotel that the Army paid for, flying down on the Army's dime. You also can make good money when you move, if you do it yourself. They pay you 90% or so of what a commercial mover will charge them. You also get a dislocation allowance, and the gas costs are subtracted from the taxes you would pay on the money they pay you. From a purely financial standpoint, it's not a bad deal.

great job reading disclaimers armymutt
:roflcopter:
"Here is my unofficial facts that I took away, or least the best to my understanding"

:scared::eek::scared::eek::scared::eek:
DO NOT join the reserves and DO NOT use that recruiter as your recruiter! He obviously needs some numbers and is trying to sucker you in. If you join the reserves, you could be in way over your head.
Reason #1) You will have to go to boot camp and once you sign that dotted line, they will not care if you are going to vet school or not!
Reason #2) If you go to a unit that is deploying, you will be deploying with them, again, they will not care if you are going to vet school. I had to defer my seat at LSU b/c I am deployed with my unit and was unable to get out of it to start school. I am also here with someone who is in the MIDDLE of law school. He had to stop, and come here with us.
Reason #3) The unit you go to may not deploy before you start school, but they will most likely deploy before you get out and again, you will likely be forced to "stop" school.
Reason #4) If you are in the service when you try to apply for the scholarship (like I will be), you will have to fill out even more paper work and ask for a release from the service on the condition that you get the scholarship...and if you don't get the scholarship (if the release is approved), you don't get released.

So, make sure that you contact an AMEED recruiter if you want to talk to a recruiter, but I suggest that you just talk to an Army vet at a nearby military base. Even if by phone, most bases have a website that you can then contact their vet office and ask to speak to the veterinarian. Also, most vet schools have the AMEED recruiter come to the school during the first fall semester and the apps are not due until the spring. You've got time, so don't panic and get some good info.
If you let me know what area you are in, I will figure out the bases nearby and find some contact info for you.

Thanks for the confirmation that the recruiter I talked to was full of it. I was supposed to go back and talk with him again but that is not going to happen.

OliveOyl - I live in South Florida. I know there is a health recruiter in Miami and one in Gainesville (about 300 miles away but if I get an interview at UF will probably stop by.) I found a fort in Atlanta with a vet and I am traveling through there next week for my Tuskegee interview so I am planning on stopping by if I can or at least calling and talking to someone. If you know of any others in the area, let me know. Thanks for all your help! :)

Thanks for the confirmation that the recruiter I talked to was full of it. I was supposed to go back and talk with him again but that is not going to happen.

OliveOyl - I live in South Florida. I know there is a health recruiter in Miami and one in Gainesville (about 300 miles away but if I get an interview at UF will probably stop by.) I found a fort in Atlanta with a vet and I am traveling through there next week for my Tuskegee interview so I am planning on stopping by if I can or at least calling and talking to someone. If you know of any others in the area, let me know. Thanks for all your help! :)

honestly, I would just wait till your in vet school, and talk to the recruiter associated with your vet school. I have found ours to be pretty forthright (probably because there is a fair amoun of competition for the spots.) either way, do not count on getting one if that is a determining factor to entering vet school.

Hi all, I just wanted to know if this was true...

You can not apply for the scholarship until your first year. They will only pay for years 2, 3, and 4. If they pay for 3 years of school, you serve 3 years. If they pay for 1 year, you serve 1.

I found both of these pieces of information straight from their website, so I just wanted to see if it's true they would only pay for years 2-4? From what I saw it seems like they could pay for all 4. Correct me if I'm reading it wrong though!

WHO'S ELIGIBLE?
The HPSP is available for students pursuing advanced degrees in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, psychiatric nursing, optometry or psychology. To qualify for the Health Professions Scholarship Program, you must:
Be a U.S. citizen with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited school.
Be enrolled in (or have a letter or acceptance from) an accredited graduate program in the U.S. or Puerto Rico (varies by specialty)
Maintain full-time student status during the length of the program
Qualify as a commissioned Officer in the United States Army Reserve
and on this page, it says that there is the potential for four years of the scholarship.http://vetopportunities.amedd.army.mil/hpsp/faq/section2.html

So does that mean if you go straight to them when you have an acceptance, they will pay for all 4 years?

So does that mean if you go straight to them when you have an acceptance, they will pay for all 4 years?

As my AMEDD recruiter explained to me, in theory yes, they could pay for all four years. A packet must be submitted to the scholarship board with transcripts, LORs, GRE scores, a letter of acceptance from a US school, and you must successfully pass the physical (this part gets alot of folks- it's not as simple as it may sound). The board meets early spring, I think he said March, and selections are made then. Since most folks don't have acceptances until January at the earliest, it is nigh impossible to have the process completed by the deadline.

To give you some perspective, I had my physical completed in May and all other documents in by Thanksgiving that way all we were waiting on was an acceptance this spring. I did all this in advance, knowing full well that I probably wouldn't make the deadline depending on when (if) an acceptance came in the mail.

You also need to realize this is a HIGHLY competitive scholarship. Don't expect to walk in the office and *poof* you get picked. My AMEDD recruiter was not aware of anyone successfully picked up for a 3 or 4 year scholarship that wasn't prior service with rockin' grades- and even then it's tough to get selected. That's not to say it doesn't happen, just that it's super uncommon. The 2 and 1 years options are much easier (but not a given) to receive.

Does that help at all?

I found both of these pieces of information straight from their website, so I just wanted to see if it's true they would only pay for years 2-4? From what I saw it seems like they could pay for all 4. Correct me if I'm reading it wrong though!

and on this page, it says that there is the potential for four years of the scholarship.http://vetopportunities.amedd.army.mil/hpsp/faq/section2.html

I was corrected earlier. If they pay for one, two, or three years, you still serve three years. To my knowledge they will only pay for three years. Contact them to ask. It wouldn't hurt. And how awesome would it be for them to pay for all four years!!

ETA: Crittergal beat me to responding! She has much more info than me. I still think that you should contact an AMEDD recruiter to get first hand information and get the process going if this is what you want. Good Luck!

Very helpful, thank you everyone :)

The HPSP is a general term for the type of scholarship that is given to the various medical fields. There are 4 year scholarships for the medical students, and perhaps some of the others. There is a 4 year scholarhip for veterinary students as well, however you cannot apply for it unless you are prior service. Also, the amount of 4 year, and I would pressume 3 year as well, scholarships is declining yearly. I was in the midst of applying for the 4 year this year and had my app completed by December. However, my recruiter contacted me in January to notify me that the board had decided not to grant ANY 4 years this year. The reason is because many veterinarians are deciding to enter the Army AFTER going through vet school. This leaves less "slots" for the scholarships. I am fairly certain that the economy is the cause of this.
I also tried to see if I could still apply for the scholarship this year in hopes that they would pay for my first 3 vice my last 3 and that is not an option. So, either way, you cannot get them to pay for the first year.

Hopefully for those of us applying this fall, there will be more available slots, but I here the numbers are normally in the teens for the number avail.

Also, some may want to look up the Army physical fitness standards online to prepare yourself. The biggest thing for some may be that you will likely have to stay physically fit throughout the school year so that you will be ready for OCS during the summer.
http://www.apft-standards.com/
This website has the height/weight and fitness test requirements for both male and female. Check it out and just give yourself your own "test" to see where you stand. The website also gives links for the correct form of doing the push-ups and sit-ups and the method in which it is administered.

What do you all of think of joining the vet corps after graduation? Anyone considering that as well? Is it more or less difficult to join after graduation?

However, my recruiter contacted me in January to notify me that the board had decided not to grant ANY 4 years this year.

Now I'm super annoyed that I didn't get a phone call or email. Not that it matters because I won't make this year's board anyhow, but its still irritating.

What do you all of think of joining the vet corps after graduation? Anyone considering that as well? Is it more or less difficult to join after graduation?

I don't know anything for certain about the difficulty after vs during school, but my suspicion says it would be easier to obtain. It is less financially beneficial with regard to loans and living stipend while in school, which is why I'm trying the other route. However, if I don't get picked up for the 3 or 4 yrs scholarship then I will pursue the post grad direct commission.

I'm a year away from applying, but this is something that I am greatly considering. Most of my family has been in the military and I feel like it would be a great opportunity. I figure getting all info I can now will help me. If I end up not being able to do the HPSP, then I feel after graduation joining would still be a great option. Not as much loan help as the HPSP but about 38,000~ a year for 3 years is still a great help!

What about folks wanting to join ROTC in college and then move direct to Health Professions Scholarship? How does that all play out?

What about folks wanting to join ROTC in college and then move direct to Health Professions Scholarship? How does that all play out?

You can't move directly into it. You have to apply like everyone else. But I do believe they put a little more weight on previous military and ROTC experience. (according to my ARMY recruiter) :thumbup:

Shameless plug.... GO ARMY!!! Fiancé is a 68W in the 10th mountain div. at Fort Drum :love: :biglove: