US Army Veterinary scholarship program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myotis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone this route to pay for vet school or know someone how has? What has been your/their experience with the program? I've been entertaining the idea lately, but am still a bit skeptical about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have had this same question, and spoke to a recruiter about it. The website says scholarships require a minimum 3 year commitment, and it can go up to 4, but then the recruiter told me it is a 1, 2, or 3 year scholarship... I am very confused now.

I have had this same question, and spoke to a recruiter about it. The website says scholarships require a minimum 3 year commitment, and it can go up to 4, but then the recruiter told me it is a 1, 2, or 3 year scholarship... I am very confused now.

Here's what I was told:

The scholarship will cover all of your expenses for however long you are in school - so for vet school they would cover all four years. In return, you have to commit to the military however long they paid your schooling. So, if they paid for four years of school, then you owe them four years of service.

I don't know of anyone who has actually done it or what their experience was, though I would love to know what others think. I have also been considering this scholarship, especially since I'm a military dependent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I was told:

The scholarship will cover all of your expenses for however long you are in school - so for vet school they would cover all four years. In return, you have to commit to the military however long they paid your schooling. So, if they paid for four years of school, then you owe them four years of service.

I don't know of anyone who has actually done it or what their experience was, though I would love to know what others think. I have also been considering this scholarship, especially since I'm a military dependent.

From what I got from the website, you're responsible for 3 years of active duty and 5 years (I think) of reserve, so now I'm more confused about the commitment. And does anyone know if they allow you to pursue internships and/or residencies before active duty?

And does anyone know if they allow you to pursue internships and/or residencies before active duty?

I think for residencies, they offer them in the military but you apply for it after the first 2 years of service, and it is a 3 year long commitment (so if you only had 4 years of service, you'll have to sign up for a 5th). As far as internships, I am not quite sure. Its very confusing, especially when information from the recruiter and the website do not match up!

Here's what I was told:

That is also what I thought, but now I am not quite sure. I know it is a minimum 3 year commitment, however the recruiter said the scholarship has a max set at 4 years. ??? :(

Here is something I found online off their website, it is where I got my info:

http://www.goarmy.com/content/dam/g...RPI 524 FS Veterinary Corps Sep 11 LowRes.pdf

Last edited:
Now, I'm not sure how entirely accurate this is, but one of the vets I work with says one of her vet school friends went into this program. She ended up deployed someplace in the south and just euthanized lab puppies all day. Not to sound terrible, just makes you think that you have NO idea where you could end up.

The scholarship covers a max of 3 years for vets. You apply spring of your first year, so it won't cover that year. You get school paid for, along with any required books and equipment, and a monthly stipend of about $2K. During the summer, you work in a military facility, unless you persuade the Army that you don't need to. You owe 3 years on active duty - this is called an Active Duty Service Obligation or ADSO. Everyone joining the military incurs an 8 year obligation - some of it is active, some of it is inactive ready reserve (IRR). Officers don't automatically end their obligation at the 8 year mark, so if you forget to do the paperwork to resign your commission, you can be re-activated. There are also 2 and 1 year scholarships, both of which incur a 3 year ADSO.