cbest

10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Check out the royal college of physicians and surgeons of Canada website. You'll likely find a good number of answers there. My guess is that you'd have to take ("write" if you're Canadian) and pass some or all of the following exams: MCCQE 1 & 2, specialty board certifications exams. The other thing you may need to look into is that you have an adequate number of years of GME for your specialty and subspecialty.

IMvrach

5+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
There is also some new pathway where MCCQE are not required, instead you work for one year under supervision. I'm not sure about the details.

Check out the royal college of physicians and surgeons of Canada website. You'll likely find a good number of answers there. My guess is that you'd have to take ("write" if you're Canadian) and pass some or all of the following exams: MCCQE 1 & 2, specialty board certifications exams. The other thing you may need to look into is that you have an adequate number of years of GME for your specialty and subspecialty.

About the Ads

jnuts

10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2007
Toronto/ Dublin
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Probably quite simple. I'd suggest contacting the provincial recruitment agencies. Health force Ontario is one. I'm not sure of the exact name of those in other provinces.

Giemsa

Eat some leafy greens!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Under the coulter counter
Status (Visible)
How feasible is this? I do anesthesia and critical care.

As a general rule, you must be:
1) Canadian citizen
2) Have written / planning to write the relevant Canadian exams (as cbest outlined).

Jnut's advice is good: just talk to the provincial recruitment agency in the province / health region you're interested in working in (google physician recruitment [province]).

Where does it say that you have to be a Canadian citizen on the Royal College website?

tartesos

Medalaganario
10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2011
Next to the middle of nowhere.
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
As a general rule, you must be:
1) Canadian citizen
2) Have written / planning to write the relevant Canadian exams (as cbest outlined).

Jnut's advice is good: just talk to the provincial recruitment agency in the province / health region you're interested in working in (google physician recruitment [province]).

Canadian citizen is not required.
Us citizenship will do just fine.

Giemsa

Eat some leafy greens!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Under the coulter counter
Status (Visible)
Where does it say that you have to be a Canadian citizen on the Royal College website?

The Royal College doesn't care for the purposes of sitting the exams, but the provincial licensing bodies and hospitals / health regions typically require their hires to have / obtain Canadian citizenship / permanent residency (unless you're looking at short term locums to relieve critical shortages where a temporary work permit will do; under these circumstances, the Royal College exams may also be waived).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.