US attending wanting to move to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctsicu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How feasible is this? I do anesthesia and critical care.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the royal college of physicians and surgeons of Canada website. You'll likely find a good number of answers there. My guess is that you'd have to take ("write" if you're Canadian) and pass some or all of the following exams: MCCQE 1 & 2, specialty board certifications exams. The other thing you may need to look into is that you have an adequate number of years of GME for your specialty and subspecialty.

There is also some new pathway where MCCQE are not required, instead you work for one year under supervision. I'm not sure about the details.

Check out the royal college of physicians and surgeons of Canada website. You'll likely find a good number of answers there. My guess is that you'd have to take ("write" if you're Canadian) and pass some or all of the following exams: MCCQE 1 & 2, specialty board certifications exams. The other thing you may need to look into is that you have an adequate number of years of GME for your specialty and subspecialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably quite simple. I'd suggest contacting the provincial recruitment agencies. Health force Ontario is one. I'm not sure of the exact name of those in other provinces.

How feasible is this? I do anesthesia and critical care.

As a general rule, you must be:
1) Canadian citizen
2) Have written / planning to write the relevant Canadian exams (as cbest outlined).

Jnut's advice is good: just talk to the provincial recruitment agency in the province / health region you're interested in working in (google physician recruitment [province]).

Where does it say that you have to be a Canadian citizen on the Royal College website?

As a general rule, you must be:
1) Canadian citizen
2) Have written / planning to write the relevant Canadian exams (as cbest outlined).

Jnut's advice is good: just talk to the provincial recruitment agency in the province / health region you're interested in working in (google physician recruitment [province]).

Canadian citizen is not required.
Us citizenship will do just fine.

Where does it say that you have to be a Canadian citizen on the Royal College website?

The Royal College doesn't care for the purposes of sitting the exams, but the provincial licensing bodies and hospitals / health regions typically require their hires to have / obtain Canadian citizenship / permanent residency (unless you're looking at short term locums to relieve critical shortages where a temporary work permit will do; under these circumstances, the Royal College exams may also be waived).