US board..to canadian board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan Lee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

If I passed american board exam in US after US residency, can I practice in Canada?

As far as I know, it is possible that I could be a canadian doctor after I get a residency in US,get a board and MCCEE & QE1,2.

right?

Members don't see this ad.

The rules are different for each province.

This is for Ontario:

Exemptions for Candidates from ACGME-accredited Postgraduate Training Programs

Recent graduates:

Graduates of any recognized medical school (LCME-accredited or not) who within five years at the time of application have satisfactorily completed an ACGME-accredited residency training program that is comparable in content and duration to the RCPSC or CFPC residency training program; and passed the requisite specialty examination in the U.S., where the examination process is comparable to the RCPSC or CFPC program, will be eligible for independent certification, subject to their:

1. having passed MCCQE Part 1 and 2 or its equivalent;
2. participating in an enhanced, specialty-specific quality assurance program;
3. participating in an accredited specialty-specific program of continuing professional development (e.g., RCPSC or CFPC);
4. satisfactorily completing a specialty-specific peer assessment at the end of one year of practice.

from: http://www.cpso.on.ca/Info_physicians/regpol/acgmecred.htm

"The United States Medical Licensing Examination or USMLE from 2004 onward is considered equivalent to the MCCQE parts 1 and 2. (Note: USMLE taken before 2004 is considered equivalent only if it has been supplemented by subsequent completion of the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (Step 2 CS) component that was introduced in 2004.)"

from: http://www.cpso.on.ca/Info_physicians/regpol/examequiv.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
So this means, if I passed the USMLE step1, 2CK CS, it is not necessary to pass QE1, QE2, however, I have to pass the MCCEE
Right?

Thank you

I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to avoid writing these exams...
Why don't you just write the Canadian exams around the same time as the American ones? (ie write MCCQE1 around the same time you write your USMLE 2, etc) This way you write the test when the info is fresh in your mind

Thank you

As you know, MCCQE is little different from each other. So, I don't want to waste extra time to study different things from USMLE. I just want to focus on the one thing.
However, do you think there is some advantages to take a test (MCCQE)?

AS you know, if I got ECFMG certificate and had a residency in US, I could be a doctor IN ONTARIO , Canada, Right?

So, I just want to focus on one exam(USMLE).
What do you think about that?
I'll really appreciate your comment.
Thank you

you'll never know what might happen in you future. so to be on the safe side do everything and only leave the minimum for chance...