US citizen but foreign degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podyon18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
my current situation is that im a US citizen with a bachelor in law from a foreign college thats not a respected college even in its own country - but i have a perfect 4.O GPA

A)Do you guys (girls too!) think that id be able to get into a post bacc program in the US

B) if i were to get into a post bacc program - How would US medical schools view me being that i have a foreign degree with American post-bacc certification?

(Also if any of you have any other tips on ways i could pursue my dream)

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,
my current situation is that im a US citizen with a bachelor in law from a foreign college thats not a respected college even in its own country - but i have a perfect 4.O GPA

A)Do you guys (girls too!) think that id be able to get into a post bacc program in the US

B) if i were to get into a post bacc program - How would US medical schools view me being that i have a foreign degree with American post-bacc certification?

Thanx

A) You might be able to but...

B) ... even if a post-bac program accepts you, I don't know of any US medical school that would accept a foreign degree. I think you need to have a bachelor's degree from a US accredited college in order to apply to a US medical school (although I would advise that you contact the admissions office of the medical school that you're interested in for clarification)

I think your best option might be go to medical school in your home country, earn and MD, and then apply for a US residency. If that is not a viable option, you can apply and attend a US college for a 2nd undergrad degree. Most medical school requires that you have at least 90 credit hours from a US college in order to apply to their DO or MD program.

"I think your best option might be go to medical school in your home country, earn and MD, and then apply for a US residency"

I'm a US Citizen living in New York
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
"I think your best option might be go to medical school in your home country, earn and MD, and then apply for a US residency"

I'm a US Citizen living in New York
Thanks

It depends on what you mean by "not respectable". I am from India, went to a govt. school for engineering. I was able to get my grades verified by WES and D.O. schools had no problem with it. My school in India was accredited and respectable though. I repeated all the pre-reqs in the U.S. Also had a couple of masters degrees from the Universities in the U.S.

"Students who have attended a foreign college must have their grades certified by a DCOM-approved vendor."

For example. So, write the medical schools you're interested in and find out about getting your grades certified. And talk to admissions advisors at them too. They'll know if they've taken such students before and what hurdles had to be jumped.​

Hi,

Thanx

i saw a post on here not too too long ago that might give you some pointers.
i think the OP of that post had an advanced degree from US institution post bachelors though.
i think the title might be something like "how to.. foreign.."
... okay, it's a little vague.. hope you are able to locate it.