US citizen needs UK help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunz81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know some good UK schools that accept students straight out of high school? Do they allow you to do clinicals in the US? I heard you should run the other way when it comes to St. Chris and Kigezi. I'm going to London to check out some schools in the first week of May so I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

kigezi is closed, but do keep running from st chris...

i would doubt that the established, GMC accredited schools in the UK allow much more than a few electives in the stätes...try the irish schools, but, again, you cannot do your entire clinical course in the states. other 6 year options in europe include hungary and czech republic, where they may have a bit more flexibility about US clinicals. at my school you can do 12 weeks per year, i think hungary may allow a bit more.

good luck

Sunz81 said:
Does anyone know some good UK schools that accept students straight out of high school? Do they allow you to do clinicals in the US? I heard you should run the other way when it comes to St. Chris and Kigezi. I'm going to London to check out some schools in the first week of May so I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.
You may hear people say that a given European med school accepts students out of high school but what they usually mean is a local diploma giving access to university studies. And a North American high school diploma is almost never equivalent to this.

However, some schools in some countries may make an exception if you've taken a number of AP courses and done really well. I have no idea if this applies to the UK. I think they tend to be more flexible than Germany, France, Belgium and Switzerland when it comes to letting North Americans study at their universities. However, this doesn't hold for Medicine because most UK schools have a limited number of spots for non-UK residents. (I think there are only 5 such spots at Oxford.)

One exception may be the University of Edinburgh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with previous poster. A US high school diploma in itself will generally NOT be deemed equivalent to most European baccalaureate exams (A-levels in UK, Abitur in Germany etc), and while it's sometimes possible to gain admittance, European med schools are generally very competitive, just like in the US, so you'd have to be a pretty strong candidate. Also, remember that the entire medical system is quite different in Europe compared to the US, and thus a European medical degree wouldn't train you particularily well for working in the US.

If you want to practise as a physician in the US, I'd strongly encourage you to get a US undergrad. degree and apply to a US medical school.

THIS DOES NOT PERTAIN TO THE ABOVE THREAD---SORRY
Hi NEILC,
I am an American and live in Prague and I have begun the application process to Charles University Medical School. I noticed it is where you go to school and I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me. I tried to Private Message you but your mailbox was full.
I would really appreciate a response and any advice.
Jacquelyn