US Citizen Planning to Study Medicine in Spain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstu94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate student in the States (first-year) but I am planning to attend a university in Madrid, Spain. However, because my studies were not medical related, I cannot apply as transfer but rather as a first-year student (I will take the Selectividad). In any case, I was wondering how is the medical system in Spain. I contacted the head of the educational system (?) in Madrid (the people who know how degrees obtained in Spain work in the States) and they told me that after I complete 6 years of school of medicine in Spain, I obtain an equivalent of a Bachelor's degree and go right into residency. Does that mean I do not attend medical school in the States? Since I want a PhD, I'm guessing I have to attend medical school. I understand that I have to take the MCATS to practice in the States, but I just want to clarify this since I am planning to attend graduate school in the States.

Also, since 6 years is a long time, I am planning to take summer courses and transfer those credits. Am I able to do this for universities in Spain?

Sarah

Members don't see this ad.

Woah there.

1) Medical schools give you an MD. If you want a MD/PhD (combined program), you need to do research years at a different department at the school in addition to the MD years. If you want to do an MD and then a PhD (separately), you would need to finish one then the other.

2) The 6 year program in Europe is 2 years undergrad + 4 years of medical school. I'm not sure if you get a BS/MD or just an MD (called an MBChB over there), but regardless, you go through a similar program. You learn different things in their med school though. The structure is very different.

3) You don't need an MCAT for **** other than US med school admissions. No one else give a ****. To practice in the states, you need to pass Step 1 and 2 (CS and CK) to match into a residency program here. Then you need pass step 3 during your early residency years (when you take them varies state to state).

4) European med schools do not teach for step 1 or 2. You get to study for that all by yourself if you want to pass them. It is extraordinarily difficult.

5) The hard part is matching into an US residency despite step 1 or 2 scores. Even if your scores are great, it is going to be very, very difficult to match anywhere in the US even for low competition specialties. It is a very difficult battle to fight. If you have good connections somewhere, then you have a shot. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot. If you go to Europe for med school, you should plan to stay there to practice. If you do a PhD after you get an MD (separately), it will just make it even harder to match in the US. You will have been more and more separated from your actual medical training, so residency programs are less likely to take you.

It would also help to speak the language.

Reactions: 1 user
I am an undergraduate student in the States (first-year) but I am planning to attend a university in Madrid, Spain. However, because my studies were not medical related, I cannot apply as transfer but rather as a first-year student (I will take the Selectividad). In any case, I was wondering how is the medical system in Spain. I contacted the head of the educational system (?) in Madrid (the people who know how degrees obtained in Spain work in the States) and they told me that after I complete 6 years of school of medicine in Spain, I obtain an equivalent of a Bachelor's degree and go right into residency. Does that mean I do not attend medical school in the States? Since I want a PhD, I'm guessing I have to attend medical school. I understand that I have to take the MCATS to practice in the States, but I just want to clarify this since I am planning to attend graduate school in the States.

Also, since 6 years is a long time, I am planning to take summer courses and transfer those credits. Am I able to do this for universities in Spain?

Sarah

Are you sure you want a PhD? Its something a lot of 1st years want until they actually do research and realize they don't. The fact is, if you go to Spain, you do 6 years and graduate with an MD. You take a bunch of exams and then go to the US to do residency (you might end up stuck in Spain as a doctor since coming back to the US is difficult because of USMLEs and interviews). After residency then you are a fully qualified doctor. By this point you are already likely 28-33 and with a high earning potential and the ability to do research (you have an MD) you probably won't want to do a PhD anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not suggest you to come to Spain, currently our health system is getting worse and worse and our students are the ones that go outside spain :naughty:

I'm interested in going to school in Barcelona. Are the Med school classes taught in Catalan? Will I be able to get by just knowing Spanish?

Salut! I am an American student without a bachelor's degree and am very interested in studying medicine in Spain!

1. Which school has the best English Medical program
  2. Is it taught all in English?
  3. What are all the entry requirements for American students or Non EU students?
  4. Are there any scholarships offered to Non EU students?

If you can refer me to the best contact (preferably in English), that would be great,
Nicole