US clinical rotations for caribean students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdp

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which US hospitals are receptive to allowing foreign medical students to do their clinical rotations with them? My school has yet to inform me of specific sites.

Thanks for any replies.

drdp

Members don't see this ad.

What school do you go to? The school you go to should have informed you of the details in regards to rotations in the states. I go to a school in the caribbean and once I pass step 1,I know that I will be placed at one of the many affiliations my school has in the U.S.. I suggest you speak to students who have gone before you from your school and ask them how they have done it. I am sure there are also administrators at your school who can guide you. There are rules and regulations that vary state to state. Hey , if you have a hook-up that works too! Good Luck!

I forgot, most hospitals let foreign medical students do rotations for their fourth year electives. But again rules and regulations vary from state to state. The clinical coordinators at your schol should have that information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite a few of your big name hospitals are eager to have international students for rotations. I know Cleveland Clinic does. Just do a websearch for some of the hospitals you're interested in, and usually the info. is right on the website.

Jojo said most hospitals let foreign students do rotations at their institutions. Not true! I contacted almost all of the med schools in the US (but not community hospitals) and made a list of those which accept non-LCME students for rotations. In its updated form, it can be found at <a href="http://www.fifthpathway.com" target="_blank">http://www.fifthpathway.com</a> . Follow the links from Off-Campus Programs to the list.

Each foreign medical school is considered different per U.S. state. Your clinical training can be done almost anywhere you want to go. Your clinical rotations advisor will probably ask you were you want to go. Most importantly you want to go to teaching hospital that has a residency program in which you would like to partake in. Check out foreignmedschool.com they give you all this information to you plus consultation with one of their advisors.

-----
Good luck!

I just finished at Saba. From personal experience, the best rotations I did were at Maricopa medical center in Phoenix, AZ and at the University of Toronto. I know Toronto is not in the US, but its an excellent place to learn and a fun place to visit.

<a href="http://www.aamc.org" target="_blank">www.aamc.org</a> has a compendium of fourth year electives, and you can search for those schools that take foreign students. However, some of the schools that do not take foreign students are not completely filtered out, so you have to call to double check. There are also some schools that will take foreign students, but not foreign students that are US citizens.