US Dental Externships for Canadian Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalstud1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently a first year dental student in Montreal, Canada. I was wondering if there are any US dental externships (that accepts Canadian students) that I can apply to between my second and third year in dental school. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless your university has some affiliations with US universities/clinics, I can’t see how you’d be able to do this formally. From what I know of US programs, externship opportunities are developed between programs at clinics of alumni or other partners.

Unless your university has some affiliations with US universities/clinics, I can’t see how you’d be able to do this formally. From what I know of US programs, externship opportunities are developed between programs at clinics of alumni or other partners.
I was under the impression anyone can just apply given the instructions of the respective universities.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

I was under the impression anyone can just apply given the instructions of the respective universities.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Tapatalk

I've never heard of a program set up for this purpose. And from what I know about US dental programs, universities that offer their students externships have to approve sites. I'm sure there are some legal agreements that are associated with this too given that you would be treating patients under the supervision of someone else. Ultimately, US students cannot just pick a clinic of their choosing to intern at and I would expect that most (if not all) dental programs which offer externships would prioritize securing placements for their own students first before providing opportunities to external students. Please note all of this applies to general dentistry training.

If you are looking for externships at specific universities to learn more about their graduate programs, this may be a different story - e.g. Periodontal Externships for Dental Students | Perio.org. I would suggest that you narrow your scope to which universities you would be interested in and email them directly for more information.