What do you write in emails to programs for OMFS Externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FosterWallace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've sent two emails already just briefly expressing my interest in the program, the dates Im available for externship, and attached a copy of my resume, but I got no reply from either program. Just want to make sure Im not doing something wrong before I keep sending emails lol

Members don't see this ad.

What you wrote is fine. Residency coordinators take awhile to respond sometimes, and especially during holiday season. I wouldn’t expect a response until after the new year and then you can follow up.

If the point of contact is faculty and not a coordinator then it will take even longer to get a reply back.

What you wrote is fine. Residency coordinators take awhile to respond sometimes, and especially during holiday season. I wouldn’t expect a response until after the new year and then you can follow up.

If the point of contact is faculty and not a coordinator then it will take even longer to get a reply back.
ok thanks. happy holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Piggybacking off this, when should people start doing them? I’m a D2 right now, not really sure when to start

Reactions: 1 user
Start anytime in D3, earlier than that and the risk of embarrassing yourself outweighs any positives you can gain

Reactions: 1 users
Piggybacking off this, when should people start doing them? I’m a D2 right now, not really sure when to start

Like the poster above said, anytime in D3. If you want to start as soon as possible in D3, you should look at program websites during Winter D2 and look at what they require for the externship. The paperwork can be a slog to get through, so its best to be prepared well in advance of the time you plan to extern there. I got lucky and was able to do my home program as my first externship after Summer D3 and then I planned the rest of mine during the Fall semester. Even in September, I felt like I was cutting it close for my December externship.

In general, it pays to gather as much information as you can, as early as you can. Find the programs you want, get the paperwork in, then you can chill. I have externships planned until May and it feels good that I have nothing else to submit until then. Just gotta show up and learn.

Most places I reached out to took a solid 3+ months before I had an official date plus all paperwork submitted. I always responded and got things returned ASAP, but the turn around time from the program coordinator was always variable