US DO vs Caribbean MD just do both if you can't decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPWR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This whole US DO VS Caribbean MD takes a lot of time. If you are not sure which school you are going to go, they are chances that your decision will take you a long time. Your argument here at SDN and at your school will take you more than three years just do both.

David F. DiDomenico, M.D., D.O.
Dr. DiDomenico received his medical degree (M.D.) from Ross University School of Medicine in Dominica, West Indies in 1988. He then earned his Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O) degree from the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences in Des Moines, Iowa in 1991. He completed his residencies in urology and surgery at the University of Illinois at Chicago Affiliated Hospitals. Dr. DiDomenico M.D., D.O has been a practicing urologist since 1997.
Dr. DiDomenico is an attending physician at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center and a consulting staff member at Crawford Memorial Hospital.
David F. DiDomenico, has published numerous professional articles in journals including the Journal of Infectious Disease, Journal of American Osteopathic Association, and Medical Oncology. In addition to publishing articles, he has made many presentations and scientific exhibits at professional conferences and gatherings. His articles, presentations and exhibits have included topics such as male infertility, medical management of benign prostatic hyperplasia, innovative cancer treatments, prognosis differences for Hispanic males, and many more.

I hope we all come together and just do both lolz.

Good Luck to everyone.

MDPWR.

Members don't see this ad.

Now that is a MASSIVE waste of time and money.

Then again, an urologist makes some mad money, especially in the field of infertility...so who knows.

This whole US DO VS Caribbean MD takes a lot of time. If you are not sure which school you are going to go, they are chances that your decision will take you a long time. Your argument here at SDN and at your school will take you more than three years just do both.

David F. DiDomenico, M.D., D.O.
Dr. DiDomenico received his medical degree (M.D.) from Ross University School of Medicine in Dominica, West Indies in 1988. He then earned his Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O) degree from the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences in Des Moines, Iowa in 1991. He completed his residencies in urology and surgery at the University of Illinois at Chicago Affiliated Hospitals. Dr. DiDomenico M.D., D.O has been a practicing urologist since 1997.
Dr. DiDomenico is an attending physician at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center and a consulting staff member at Crawford Memorial Hospital.
David F. DiDomenico, has published numerous professional articles in journals including the Journal of Infectious Disease, Journal of American Osteopathic Association, and Medical Oncology. In addition to publishing articles, he has made many presentations and scientific exhibits at professional conferences and gatherings. His articles, presentations and exhibits have included topics such as male infertility, medical management of benign prostatic hyperplasia, innovative cancer treatments, prognosis differences for Hispanic males, and many more.

I hope we all come together and just do both lolz.

Good Luck to everyone.

MDPWR.

I'm not sure that would work. Most DO schools probably would not admit someone who already had an MD, even if the MD is from a foreign school. I'm guessing there were some special circumstances in the above-mentioned urologist's case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I need a 400 or 500k in loans like I need a nurse to call at 3am for a laxitive.

Yea I need a 400 or 500k in loans like I need a nurse to call at 3am for a laxitive.

You may be able to avoid the 400-500k in loans. Unfortunately, next year, a nurse calling at 3 AM for a laxative order is inevitable.

Now that is a MASSIVE waste of time and money.

Then again, an urologist makes some mad money, especially in the field of infertility...so who knows.

Well man I agree you with you, but atleast this guy won't be arguing over here at SDN that which degree is better lolz.

Thanks.

MDPWR.

I'm not sure that would work. Most DO schools probably would not admit someone who already had an MD, even if the MD is from a foreign school. I'm guessing there were some special circumstances in the above-mentioned urologist's case.

What the? Where are you getting this from? That is totally not true.

While many DO schools will not accept someone that has FAILED from an MD program, most will not hold it against you if you have successfully completed a degree. One of our clinical management instructors (an endocrinologist) did her MD in Russia and subsequently completed her DO degree at KCUMB.

It certainly wasn't necessary for her to get a DO degree to land IM/endocrine. But that wasn't the point for her. She really wanted to pursue an osteopathic medical education.

What the? Where are you getting this from? That is totally not true.

One of our clinical management instructors (an endocrinologist) did her MD in Russia and subsequently completed her DO degree at KCUMB.

It certainly wasn't necessary for her to get a DO degree to land IM/endocrine. But that wasn't the point for her. She really wanted to pursue an osteopathic medical education.

Yes she probably did have to get the DO degree in the USA or an MD from a Different Country, there have been numerous Articles in the past about Russian Doctors who immigrate to the USA in the past and could not be credentialed through ECMFG for the USMLE. In fact there was episodes on ER that spotlighted this a few years ago, a Russian Doctor who had to work as a clerk since they could not get the necessary credentials to sit for Boards.

This was true but may have changed since the fall of the Soviet Union, but still without records and cooperation one cannot sit for boards.

This is just another example of people assuming one thing is true when it is not.

Yes she probably did have to get the DO degree in the USA or an MD from a Different Country, there have been numerous Articles in the past about Russian Doctors who immigrate to the USA in the past and could not be credentialed through ECMFG for the USMLE. In fact there was episodes on ER that spotlighted this a few years ago, a Russian Doctor who had to work as a clerk since they could not get the necessary credentials to sit for Boards.

First, I don't base my information on what I see on an NBC sitcom.

Second, I have never heard of anyone not being able to sit for the USMLE if they had graduated from a school recognized by IMED (even most caribbean programs are IMED certified).

This was true but may have changed since the fall of the Soviet Union, but still without records and cooperation one cannot sit for boards.

This is just another example of people assuming one thing is true when it is not.

I actually recall an episode where that same clerk/doc, who used to be a vascular surgeon, performed a thoracotomy on an ER patient.