US DOJ to Take on Affirmative Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed_PhD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was recently announced that the DOJ is currently hiring lawyers to investigate AA policies at America's universities. Here is a link to the article:
Justice Dept. to Take On Affirmative Action in College Admissions

I am a URM applying in the 2018-2019 admissions cycle. I am a little worried about how this initiative will affect my chances of getting into allopathic programs. I also think if AA were removed, it would also have a devastating impact on communities of color. Furthermore, I'd also worry that the quality of medical school education would diminish with a decrease in diversity.

Does anyone have any insight on how this will affect URM admissions at medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It was recently announced that the DOJ is currently hiring lawyers to investigate AA policies at America's universities. Here is a link to the article:
Justice Dept. to Take On Affirmative Action in College Admissions

I am a URM applying in the 2018-2019 admissions cycle. I am a little worried about how this initiative will affect my chances of getting into allopathic programs. I also think if AA were removed, it would also have a devastating impact on communities of color. Furthermore, I'd also worry that the quality of medical school education would diminish with a decrease in diversity.

Does anyone have any insight on how this will affect URM admissions at medical schools?

I'm not worried about it. I'm applying this cycle but even for the future we have no idea if/how this will change medical school admissions. At least currently we know they are claiming to only be investigating a single claim related to undergraduate admissions. For medical school admissions, I don't think what they are attempting to do will have an impact on unless they drastically expand/alter the current scope. Also, it takes years for this stuff to be litigated so for the cycle you referenced, even if they did go after medical school admissions it likely wouldn't matter.

Edit: But I do want to add this attack by this administration is a transparently political move. That's why the non-political part of the justice department refused to get involved. We probably won't be affected, but we need to fight this, for the sake of future generations and our underserved patients that need doctors like us to advocate for them.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, med schools don't use AA like undergrads do. The process is different for minorities but because med schools have a specific mission to try to alleviate healthcare disparities, it is not precisely the same as affirmative action. Might not be important to the people who argue about AA all the time, but it will be to lawyers. That's why Cali med schools can use race and ethnicity in admissions but their public UGa can't.