US equivalents for drugs in UK??

Started by CaliCPhT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CaliCPhT

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm working on a research paper for my pharmacology class. I'm reading an article from a British Medical Journal and it lists drug names. While I could make a guess as to what they are, I'd like it if someone could direct me to a website that will allow me to search. BTW - my paper is on the legal and ethical considerations for off-label prescribing, so this is mostly for my info, but I may use some of it in my paper.

For example: one drug listed is Salbutamol. My guess is that it would be salmeterol in the US.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me!
 
My pharmacy has always had a current copy of Martindale's International Pharmcopeia (could be Pharmacopaeia...). It lists most of the international names with active ingredients.

You can always use this website:

http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/pharmacopoeia/overview/en/index.html

which links you to the World Health Organization list of active substances. That doesn't mean it lists all drug products.......

When reading a journal article from a published medical reference like BMJ, check the citations at the end. You'll find they reference studies from other countries. The US will often be one them.

This is an easy project & good practice. If you end up in pharmacy & work in a metropolitan area with a significant amount of international travel into or out of your area, you will find you often have to field questions about equivalent medications.

If push comes to shove & you really can't find your references AND if you live near a large metropolitan international airport, most have medical clinics which will give you the references you will need. SFO, Kennedy, Miami, etc...all have medical clinics located within the airports & can give you the websites they use. They probably don't use texts anymore.
 
I'm working on a research paper for my pharmacology class. I'm reading an article from a British Medical Journal and it lists drug names. While I could make a guess as to what they are, I'd like it if someone could direct me to a website that will allow me to search. BTW - my paper is on the legal and ethical considerations for off-label prescribing, so this is mostly for my info, but I may use some of it in my paper.

For example: one drug listed is Salbutamol. My guess is that it would be salmeterol in the US.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me!

Hey, I believe Salbumetol is Albuterol. Salmeterol is one of the active ingredients in Advair (along with Fluticasone). But besides Martindales, you could try Micromedex online Database. There is an Index Nominum that has International Drugs.:hardy:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe you can set up epocrates with the drugs from other countries, when you click on a foreign drug it gives you a list of the equivalent drugs available in the US. I currently have mine set up with Canadian and US drugs.