US Fellowship as an Australian Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bigmangotree

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am currently a medical student in Australia (AU citizen; no US citizenship) who is potentially exploring the possibility of completing a fellowship overseas - potentially the U.S. Note that I do not intend to stay in America to practice. I have written this post to get some better clarity on the situation, in order to make a more informed decision as to whether I should bother sitting the USMLEs.

1. I have heard that there are advantages in obtaining an overseas fellowship with regards to career development - would anyone be able to clarify this?

2. If I was to complete a fellowship post-training in Australia, what would the process be like? I presume you would need to pass all 3 parts of the USMLE. Are there also any other requirements necessary to practice in a particular state, say NY, CA, or BOS?

P.S. Currently I am strongly considering pursuing an interventional radiology route, so if there are specific details for that, I would greatly appreciate it as well. General details also welcome as I have not locked into any specialty yet.
 
Hi all,

I am currently a medical student in Australia (AU citizen; no US citizenship) who is potentially exploring the possibility of completing a fellowship overseas - potentially the U.S. Note that I do not intend to stay in America to practice. I have written this post to get some better clarity on the situation, in order to make a more informed decision as to whether I should bother sitting the USMLEs.

1. I have heard that there are advantages in obtaining an overseas fellowship with regards to career development - would anyone be able to clarify this?

2. If I was to complete a fellowship post-training in Australia, what would the process be like? I presume you would need to pass all 3 parts of the USMLE. Are there also any other requirements necessary to practice in a particular state, say NY, CA, or BOS?

P.S. Currently I am strongly considering pursuing an interventional radiology route, so if there are specific details for that, I would greatly appreciate it as well. General details also welcome as I have not locked into any specialty yet.
In general, you will not be able to do a fellowship in the US without having done a residency in the core specialty in the US… there are some exceptions.
 
Last edited: