US Horse Slaughter Ban Lifted

Started by Angelus9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Angelus9

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just in time for interview prep:

http://newsok.com/horse-slaughter-b...rt-on-unintended-consequences/article/3626719

"Members of Congress who decided to end the prohibition on domestic horse slaughtering relied heavily on research provided in June by the General Accountability Office, Congress' auditing arm.

"Though there are some shades of gray, the report clearly connects the ban to an increase in abandoned horses, a drop in prices for some horses and a dramatic increases in exports of horses for slaughter."
 
I saw this on Facebook and everybody got really upset about it. I don't necessarily like horse slaughter, but I think there are some valid points.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Better to keep it local and regulate it than ship it out of sight, IMO.
I think this is a good thing for the horse world.


That's what I thought. Either way, they will be slaughtered. Here or in another country. This way it can at least be made more humane for the horses. And it'll help the economy a little bit hopefully.
 
I'm sure some of the old slaughterhouses will be re-instituted.

I'm not so sure. I know someone who inspected at the one in Illinois, and the rumblings were that they would NOT be interested in reopening.

I hope that has changed.
 
One of the articles I read a few days ago listed ~6 or 7 states that were planning/hoping to open plants. I know Oregon was one, then there were a few in the midwest and some one the lower east coast. Can't remember specifics, but the article is out there somewhere
 
But we have nowhere to slaughter them, sooooo...

I'm sure some of the old slaughterhouses will be re-instituted.


I read a different article than the one on top of this thread. Several states are already thinking about opening slaughter houses.

According to a pro-slaughter group called United Horsemen, meat processors are now considering opening facilities in at least a half-dozen states, including Georgia, North Dakota, Nebraska, Oregon, Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Idaho.

And there was also something about this:

This really is good news, even though it may seem at least bittersweet. You would not believe how many people I heard griping about this (owners and vets alike) in my large animal rotations.

I think it will help out in several ways. People are just so much into not killing anything that they don't see the benefits. Yes, I love horses and I'd hate to see them go off to be slaughtered, but sometimes it is good to take a look at the big picture I think.


“When they closed the plants, that put more of a hardship on our horses than the people who wanted to stop the slaughter can imagine,” said John Schoneberg, a Nebraska horse breeder, according to the Times report.

The poor economy has been tough on horse owners and the animals themselves, leading to what Representative Kingston calls an "unanticipated problem with horse neglect and abandonment.” In Colorado alone, horse abandonment "increased 60 percent from 975 in 2005 to 1,588 in 2009," the GAO report stated.


And going back to what cowgirla said earlier:

"We can't monitor horse slaughter in a plant in Mexico or Canada … [a]nd so we don't know if it's being done humanely or not because the USDA obviously doesn't have any jurisdiction there,” Rep. Jack Kingston (R) of Georgia, who was instrumental in the reinstatement, told the Oklahoman newspaper's Sonya Colberg and Chris Casteel. “Along the way, these horses are having a rough transit. USDA does not have the jurisdiction over how the animals are treated along the way."


The full article is here. I know it's not necessary to quote everything, but sometimes I'm too lazy or don't have time to read full articles and maybe somebody else doesn't either. But these things pretty much explain what I've been thinking of it before.

Way cleared for Horse Slaughter
 
Glad to hear there is serious interest in reopening!

Less glad to think about all the Facebook shenanigans that will be happening in 3...2...1...
 
Glad to hear there is serious interest in reopening!

Less glad to think about all the Facebook shenanigans that will be happening in 3...2...1...

My vet school seems to have about a 90+% support rate. Haven't seen any dissenters posting publicly, but I'm sure they are out there.

Some of my equine message boards are a disaster. I've been called some very nasty words for defending all of this and trying to explain why I think its necessary.
 
Glad to hear there is serious interest in reopening!

Less glad to think about all the Facebook shenanigans that will be happening in 3...2...1...

They already started. There are several articles that are being shared by people and so far, all I see are people that are against it. But the only thing they really say is because they love horses. I love horses too, but I'm still not fully against it.


Some of my equine message boards are a disaster. I've been called some very nasty words for defending all of this and trying to explain why I think its necessary.

I just posted a status about it on facebook. I'm pretty sure there will be a discussion later on. But I pretty much asked that people should go educate themselves more about the issue before they start complaining.
 
Huh. I'm actually writing a evaluative essay on this topic regarding horse welfare in the US since 2007. AND I just responded to a friend's very upset "What next, kill and eat our dogs and cats??"

I think in general, the AVMA has it right. They're not pro-slaughter, but until there is something in place to care for the 100,000+ horses in the US, what else can we do to make sure they don't suffer from abandonment and neglect?
 
I think in general, the AVMA has it right. They're not pro-slaughter, but until there is something in place to care for the 100,000+ horses in the US, what else can we do to make sure they don't suffer from abandonment and neglect?

👍 I truly hope that we don't always need slaughter. I HOPE in ten years or less, to be the one protesting horse slaughter because it is unnecessary. But I suspect that it's going to be a constant cycle, unless big breeders really manage to cut down.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The general public is so naive and ignorant. The way I see it, we slaughter cows, pigs, fish and chickens for food. Millions of strays are put to sleep each year because of overpopulation. But "OMG, NOT ZE HORSES." A few months ago, people were outraged because horse meat started showing up on shelves. The public was so against it that they stopped selling it.
The situation sucks big time. If is going to improve things in the long term (which it sounds like it will), get er done, USA.

In a perfect world, the people who are doing the whining should raise awareness, but no, they just whine when they do not have all the facts. I cringe whenever an animal welfare issue shows up in my newsfeed on Facebook.

PETA is all "Don't support races and rodeos." I wonder how that is going to work out for them.
It is easy for me to boycott them because they do not exist here.
 
Better to keep it local and regulate it than ship it out of sight, IMO.
I think this is a good thing for the horse world.

👍
In a current debate with a bunch of 16-17 year olds on my facebook page and I'm actually getting some positive feedback from a few. Thanks for more articles to help me out, guys! 😉
 
👍
In a current debate with a bunch of 16-17 year olds on my facebook page and I'm actually getting some positive feedback from a few. Thanks for more articles to help me out, guys! 😉


You should look up the AVMA and AAEP position statements. I know the AVMA put one out in August of this year that was a pretty informative read.
 
Peta Article


It doesn't really say much about US horse slaughter though. It mostly talks about exporting horses to be slaughtered in other countries, which makes the article sound even worse. Great publicity! ;]
 
Not to jinx it or anything, but I'm also counting down until we get a pre-allo troll coming in here asking why the animal doctors want to kill ponies...
 
This is the best thing that could happen for the horse industry right now, minus the price of hay coming down. The value of lower to mid quality horses have drastically fallen in the last 5 years because of the ban on horse slaughter. Slaughter houses need to follow established guidelines and the inspectors enforce them so that horses are killed humanely. I will continue to view slaughter of horses in the same light as slaughter of other animals until someone can give me empirical evidence that horses are different.
 
Better to keep it local and regulate it than ship it out of sight, IMO.
I think this is a good thing for the horse world.

👍 I could not agree more! Horse slaughter, though an unpleasant thought is a nessisary one. I would rather see horses slaughtered domestically then suffer 3,000 mile trips across the boarders where we don't have any regulatory say over how they can be processed. On a different note, opening up the slaughter plants will also create jobs. This solution benefits both the horses and the economy.
 
First let me start off by saying that you all make valid points. Personally, I stand on the fence of this issue. While I understand why horse slaughter is necessary, I really can't get on board with calling it humane. Most of the slaughterhouses, even here in the good old US use facilites that weren't not designed specifically for the processing of horses.

I do agree that if it must happen, it should happen here where it can be regulated and these poor animals don't have to make the arduous journey to the borders of Canada and Mexico where they're loaded into cattle trucks and often arrive with horrendous injuries. They must suffer not only the journey, but the torture that awaits them in these houses of hell.

Mexico, for example, stabs them repeatedly in the spine to paralyze them before they proceed to butcher them while they're still awake. While Canada forces them into kill boxes that were designed for cattle allowing them to thrash about, often slipping and falling on bloody floors causing more panic and injury. Until finally, they are shot a few times because their brain is so far back in the skull that even one well placed shot doesn't always kill them. Sometimes, they're hoisted up by one leg while awake to be exsanguinated and butchered.

I know we kill other animals for food, I get that. I do, really. I however feel that due to the flight instinct of horses that there is absolutely NO humane slaughter for them. Short of drugging them to a near unconcious state, which would render the meat worthless (more so than it already is with all of the wormers and bute we already pump into them) it's terribly upsetting for the horses. Period. It's a necessary evil, but I still feel that it is cruel.

I get that the ban on slaughter tanked the horse market, but instead of propagating slaughter as the answer perhaps we need take a look at the problem of over breeding. I know, I know... it happens with dogs and cats too and that's why they end up in the shelter being killed on a daily basis. It's a systemic problem for which there is no long term solution in the foreseable future.

It's going to take a lot to educate the public and make a change happen in the way we utilize, treat, and yes, dispose of animals.

As an aspiring vet, I would much rather humanely euthanize an unwanted horse than see it put on a truck bound for a slaughterhouse. At the same time though, I realize that slaughter is a much better alternative to allowing a horse to starve to death. Stuff happens, I get that, but my feeling on the issues is this...don't own animals if you aren't willing or able to make the sacrifices necessary for their lifetime care.

I have dogs and horses and let me tell you, I go without when they need something if I have to because I made a commitment to them for life. If only others regarded animals in the same manner.

that's just my 2 cents for what it's worth. <off soapbox>

For anyone interested on where I got my info about slaughter practices in Canada and Mexico, it came from the following article
http://www.forbes.com/sites/vickery...ustry-silent-about-slaughtered-thoroughbreds/
 
Last edited:
That was definitely an interesting article to read! I'm curious though, as to what specific measures were taken in the U.S. (before the ban) to slaughter the horses and how they were different than other countries? I realize that the USDA doesn't have jurisdiction to regulate slaughter houses in Canada, but I don't see the CFIA having very different standards....however I don't actually know. It would be interesting to compare.
 
But will those regulations be enough? There are regulations for other animal slaughter houses also and I've heard pretty terrible things about those. I can't say they're happening for sure because I've never been to one, but just a thought to consider..
 
That was definitely an interesting article to read! I'm curious though, as to what specific measures were taken in the U.S. (before the ban) to slaughter the horses and how they were different than other countries? I realize that the USDA doesn't have jurisdiction to regulate slaughter houses in Canada, but I don't see the CFIA having very different standards....however I don't actually know. It would be interesting to compare.

This might be a good start for you to read:
http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfare/unwanted_horses_faq.asp

Under the section of "is slaughter humane" they also link to a USDA site detailing the precautions and regulations that are used for slaughter in general to ensure its humanity, and the effectiveness of the penetrating captive bolt.
 
But will those regulations be enough? There are regulations for other animal slaughter houses also and I've heard pretty terrible things about those. I can't say they're happening for sure because I've never been to one, but just a thought to consider..


As vet students (and future vet students) and future vets, that's our job. We're going to be the ones on the front line of ensuring this process works. Its our job to come up with the best way to do this - not necessarily the fastest or most economical, but the BEST, and convince the slaughterhouses why. Give them a reason and make them want it, and that will be far more effective than any law that can be passed. We live in a society that is willing to pay top dollar for organic, free range beef- no reason why most people who want horse meat wouldn't be willing to pay top dollar for what they knew was a humane death.

Design better equipment for the horses, and restraint. The penetrating captive bolt is an approved, humane form of euthanasia - when correctly performed by a skilled operator. That's our job. Make sure the horse is set up to make it as a painless as possible, make sure the operator knows what he's doing. Heck, get someone working on a drug that won't leave residues that affect humans- even if its just a sedative. There's got to be some magical chemical combination out there that would work.

Cattle go right from the bolt to the processing. We need to spread that out more so the animals coming on are hopefully less aware of what's happening. Hoists and pulls and heavy equipment has come a long way since most of these slaughterhouses were built.

Get cameras in the slaughter houses. Record everything. Make them available to the public (or at least certain parts of the public). Let them see that we're trying to make the best of a crappy situation- let the public see those horses treated with respect in their last moments. I think part of the biggest slaughter issues are the mystery behind it all. People see a closed door and assume something "wrong" is going on behind it. Let's open that up to those who want to see.

Just some ideas I've come up with. Whether they work or not, I don't know, but they could be worth a try, or at least a discussion with people who are more in the know than I am.
 
Is anyone else concerned that one of the most strictly regulated drugs in food animals (phenylbutazone...aka Bute) is used like candy by a large majority of the horse industry?

I have a problem with unwanted horses, don't have a problem with humane slaughter, but am concerned that we don't medicate our horsey friends like other food animals, which could ultimately affect human safety.
 
I have a problem with unwanted horses, don't have a problem with humane slaughter, but am concerned that we don't medicate our horsey friends like other food animals, which could ultimately affect human safety.

Especially since for the last few years, horses were not considered "food animals" which means that drugs prohibited from "food animals" didn't apply to horses.

As far as the "will the regulations be enough?" question the answer is no. Because child abuse laws aren't enough, animal abuse laws aren't enough, anti-theft laws aren't enough and don't even get me started on race law. All these things still happen.
Do I think a majority of people do right by the animals? Yes I do. I think even more -think- they are doing what is right, which is why education is important. But bad things still happen and that will isn't going to change. One of my biggest issues with American Culture is that people want 0% risk and many of us seem to expect at least very, very close to it.
I guess what I'm saying is that nothing will ever go right 100% of the time and slaughter is not an exception. At least now we can regulate it rather than have these horses shipped out or slaughtered on the black market.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else concerned that one of the most strictly regulated drugs in food animals (phenylbutazone...aka Bute) is used like candy by a large majority of the horse industry?

yeah... that is kinda scary. FDA says giving bute to dairy cattle 20 mos and older will likely result in residue at culling (which is what, like 4-6 years old?). I dunno how long these horses are kept for a withdrawal period before slaughter, but sounds rather unsafe.

but then again, since I don't think the horse meat produced here is a staple food for anyone, "eat at your own risk - could have carcinogenic residues and who knows what else" might be okay. Kinda like tuna and mercury?
 
Here's another article from a horse magazine on the issue: http://sidelinesnews.com/blogs/laurengallops/for-the-love-of-horses-pt-1.html There is also some good info from Dr. Temple Grandin in this one.

I am also on the fence here. I have a hard time discussing it because of the hugely knee-jerk emotional factors involved. I am a horse girl. Starting asking for my own pony at about age 6, got riding lessons at age 8, and bought my first horse in college. I think for most of us in this country, horses are not viewed as food animals because they have been used so extensively as companion and work animals for generations.

Nevertheless, until we can actually implement some alternatives to the HUGE unwanted horse problem, having legal, regulated slaughter is much better than having our horses shipped over the border to be slaughtered without humane regulations.

Don't even get me started on the residual drugs in our horses' systems. Just the drugs in my horse's system! 🙄
 
That was definitely an interesting article to read! I'm curious though, as to what specific measures were taken in the U.S. (before the ban) to slaughter the horses and how they were different than other countries? I realize that the USDA doesn't have jurisdiction to regulate slaughter houses in Canada, but I don't see the CFIA having very different standards....however I don't actually know. It would be interesting to compare.

They don't have very different standards. Maddiegirl is referring to an incident caught on tape in a Canadian slaughterhouse that went hugely against CFIA regulations. Unfortunately, regulations don't always fix everything. I don't really like Maddiegirl's insinuation that the welfare issues were condoned and on purpose in Canada; they aren't. [/soapbox]

CBC report at the time of those incidents: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2010/05/17/f-horse-slaughter.html
 
Here is a full list of drugs prohibited from extra label use in Food Animals from my notes.

I think you'll see a few horse industry favorites.

- Chloramphenicol - idiosyncratic aplastic anemia
- Clenbuterol (Ventipulmin syrup) - allergic reactions/deaths
- Diethylstilbestrol (DES) - carcinogen
- Nitroimidazoles - carcinogens
- Furazolidone, Nitrofurazone - carcinogen, mutagen
- Sulfonamide drugs (Aka SMZ/TMS) - allergic reactions
- Fluoroquinolones
- Glycopeptides (vancomycin) - MRSA
- Phenylbutazone (Prohibited in dairy >20months old)

Both chloramphenicol and phenylbutazone can cause aplastic anemia in humans.

Anyway, just food for thought for all you young interview-ees. 🙂
 
Here is a full list of drugs prohibited from extra label use in Food Animals from my notes.

I think you'll see a few horse industry favorites.

- Chloramphenicol - idiosyncratic aplastic anemia
- Clenbuterol (Ventipulmin syrup) - allergic reactions/deaths
- Diethylstilbestrol (DES) - carcinogen
- Nitroimidazoles - carcinogens
- Furazolidone, Nitrofurazone - carcinogen, mutagen
- Sulfonamide drugs (Aka SMZ/TMS) - allergic reactions
- Fluoroquinolones
- Glycopeptides (vancomycin) - MRSA
- Phenylbutazone (Prohibited in dairy >20months old)

Both chloramphenicol and phenylbutazone can cause aplastic anemia in humans.

Anyway, just food for thought for all you young interview-ees. 🙂

My horse is on at least two of those right now. About to be three. So much for sending him over the border. 😀

(Tongue in cheek, people. I am not sending my horse anywhere. Please don't bite.)
 
How's this for a contradictory position?

I'm vegan and I don't see inherent differences between the way we treat animals. If we're going to eat cows, chickens, pigs, sheep, etc, the only thing stopping us from eating other animals is tradition and emotion. However, I'm practical. I worked at a shelter for 2 years and faced the pet overpopulation problem every day. We got more animals in than could be placed in private rescues, fosters, adoptions, and yet had to deal with people questioning the role of humane euthanasia in animal sheltering, with people trying to make me feel guilty for a problem I did not create. My animals are neutered; don't blame me.

So, what I'm trying to say is that while I'm not happy about our treatment of animals in this country, I also recognize that neglect, malnutrition, and inhumane slaughter are problems that need to be dealt with, either through humane euthanasia or slaughter (as in this case). Unless we're willing to stop overpopulation of animals that will not be adequately cared for, there are few other options available. I'm open to the possibility that more private organizations will open up to save abandoned horses and companion animals, and it's possible that the threat of euthanasia/slaughter will be a deterrent to folks who contribute to the overpopulation problem, but I'm not counting on it. Caring for these animals is expensive and we're in the middle of a recession. It's time we dealt with the source of these problems so that drastic measures wouldn't have to be taken in the future.
 
It's time we dealt with the source of these problems so that drastic measures wouldn't have to be taken in the future.

This is very true. We breed too many horses in this country.

On the other hand, the recession has caused a slump in the breeding industry (at least in the states that I'm familiar with) -- and that has seriously hurt a few veterinary practices that I'm aware of. Equine reproductive (and foal) work can make up a substantial chunk of any practice, and when folks aren't breeding....

It's a tough spot -- the overbreeding has been good for veterinarians' bottom lines, but bad for horse welfare.
 
How's this for a contradictory position?

.
Can I contradict that you are being contradictory?

I see you as holding a fairly consistent position that you want to lead what you think is an ethical life, and deal with an unethical world in a realistic manner in the best way you can.

Props to you👍.

FYI: My wife and I have tried to switch to a "don't eat mammals" lifestyle, under the mammals are the closest things to us so let's not eat them theory. Our compassion does not extend to fish and birds.....(although I have some qualms about octopus...they are pretty intelligent, but very alien). How's that for inconsistent!
 
For those of you who are vet students and AAEP members, there is an interesting discussion going on on the AAEP list serve.
 
They don't have very different standards. Maddiegirl is referring to an incident caught on tape in a Canadian slaughterhouse that went hugely against CFIA regulations. Unfortunately, regulations don't always fix everything. I don't really like Maddiegirl's insinuation that the welfare issues were condoned and on purpose in Canada; they aren't. [/soapbox]

CBC report at the time of those incidents: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2010/05/17/f-horse-slaughter.html

I certainly hope it is not being assumed that because the "incident caught on tape" was an isolated event because that would be really naive.

Further, according to the article you mention, the CFIA was supposed to have an inspector at all facilities to monitor and prevent these "welfare issues"; however no reports of such abuse were on file... if that's not condoning the abuse then I don't know what is....

According to the article,

"The CFIA has at least one official at every slaughter facility, and they are supposed to file reports about any serious errors. But Evans said his agency has no reports about the Bouvry or Richelieu plants from the dates in question. He said an investigation is underway."

Can we say inspectors being paid to turn a blind eye and when video surfaces suddenly backpedaling?!?!

The article goes on to say, "A significant concern raised by the video is whether horses are strung up before they're confirmed unconscious, said Geoff Urton of the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies. 'We did see evidence that some of those horses were breathing, and some evidence of voluntary movement,' he said. Separate audits of the footage, commissioned by the Canadian Horse Defence Coalition, found other violations at both plants."

And yet, these plants were allowed to continue operating... hmmm

Finally, the article says...
"A review of the 189 slaughters on the Bouvry facility video, carried out by animal-welfare expert Temple Grandin, found six per cent of its horses had to be fired on a second time when the first shot didn't knock them out or kill them. An audit by the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies put the number at seven per cent — exceeding the standard of five per cent. Those limits also stipulate that no more than one per cent of animals can slip or fall in the kill pen before they're shot, but the audits found that threshold was exceeded at both Bouvry and Richelieu.
As for jolting horses in the face with an electrical prod, Grandin told CBC News that's 'a wilful act of abuse' and an automatic failed audit."

So, there you have it. The CFIA absolutely and unequivocally condoned the abuse at their processing plants through there undeniable failure to stop it! I'm not insinuating it, I'm saying it. They claim there were processes, audits, and staff in place to prevent it, but the bottom line is that it happened and likely continues to happen.

Clearly these "regulations" aren't worth the paper their written on. While these "welfare issues" might not have been "condoned" by the citizens of Canada, they were certainly ignored by governing officials responsible for protecting the welfare of the animals. In my book, that blatant disregard for the rules constitutes a purposeful act on their part.

You don't have to agree with me or like my opinion, but the truth speaks for itself.
[/soapbox]
 
As vet students (and future vet students) and future vets, that's our job. We're going to be the ones on the front line of ensuring this process works. Its our job to come up with the best way to do this - not necessarily the fastest or most economical, but the BEST, and convince the slaughterhouses why. Give them a reason and make them want it, and that will be far more effective than any law that can be passed. We live in a society that is willing to pay top dollar for organic, free range beef- no reason why most people who want horse meat wouldn't be willing to pay top dollar for what they knew was a humane death.

Design better equipment for the horses, and restraint. The penetrating captive bolt is an approved, humane form of euthanasia - when correctly performed by a skilled operator. That's our job. Make sure the horse is set up to make it as a painless as possible, make sure the operator knows what he's doing. Heck, get someone working on a drug that won't leave residues that affect humans- even if its just a sedative. There's got to be some magical chemical combination out there that would work.

Cattle go right from the bolt to the processing. We need to spread that out more so the animals coming on are hopefully less aware of what's happening. Hoists and pulls and heavy equipment has come a long way since most of these slaughterhouses were built.

Get cameras in the slaughter houses. Record everything. Make them available to the public (or at least certain parts of the public). Let them see that we're trying to make the best of a crappy situation- let the public see those horses treated with respect in their last moments. I think part of the biggest slaughter issues are the mystery behind it all. People see a closed door and assume something "wrong" is going on behind it. Let's open that up to those who want to see.

Just some ideas I've come up with. Whether they work or not, I don't know, but they could be worth a try, or at least a discussion with people who are more in the know than I am.


👍👍👍

You've made some excellent suggestions! I hope one day there is a drug that can be used to calm these poor souls in their final moments. The cameras in all processing plants would be great! Recording absolutely everything all the time is an amazing idea as long as there are strict penalties for violating the regulations! Hopefully as future colleagues we can come up with viable solutions to make this necessary evil and quick, painless and humane as possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

This sounds like a great idea. At least these folks are attempting to be part of the solution; however, like SOV says, i'm not sure it's an economically viable option.

Based on what little I know about caring for horses (my guy is fat, sassy and the easiest keeper you could ask for) they are a lot more expensive to care for than a dog or a cat.

So, maintaining multiple rescued horses until they could be rehomed would be an expensive venture. Especially considering they probably wouldn't arrive in the best of conditions. Keeping them alive and healthy until you can find a suitable home is only half the battle.

Finding a person willing to take on a problem horse, or that can afford to take on a horse at all these days is a feat in and of itself. I had a classmate two weeks ago offer to give me her two Arabian horses because she can't afford to feed them anymore. I referred her to some of our local rescue facilities, and have been trying to help her rehome them. I would love to have these horses, but had to turn her down because I can't commit to another very large mouth to feed right now with hay at 12.50 a square bale in my area.

So, I commend the folks for trying to come up with a solution, but this horse problem is going to be a long uphill battle for the foreseable future. That said, I guess it can't hurt to try it for a while. Worst case scenario it fails, but we learn something to make the next attempt more successful.
 
I'd like to believe this would work, but I just don't see the economics of it these days. Unless, of course, Bill Gates or his ilk, gets interested in horse rescue.

This is really a HUGE part of the problem. Horses are so. Bloody. Expensive. to maintain, even when they are in good health. Let alone when they are injured, ill, or recovering from situations of abuse and neglect. This is why I have 4 cats and 1 horse, and not the other way around.
In addition, having people with the knowledge and ability to rehab and train horses to make them suitable for adoption is a whole other ballgame.

I like the idea overall, really I do, but the funding required is going to astronomical. I think that in addition to developing better/more effecient horse rescue programs, we really need to emphasize educating owners and the general public on horse care, the unwanted horse problem, and Why We Geld in the same way that we push for spaying and neutering of household pets.