US IMG for fellowship in Australia.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aizee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need some help. I would really appreciate some help regarding my situation.
I am about to be PGY3 internal medicine resident in US. I want to move to Australia after completion of my residency and get a fellowship in nephrology there. I wanted to ask how easy/hard it is for me to do that. What's the process to apply for fellowship training there?
Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Nephrology

They're called advanced trainee positions in Australia.
Requirements are listed on the website. Getting general registration is the first hurdle, you'll have to look that up separately and see which pathway you qualify for.
Medical Board of Australia - International medical graduates (IMGs). Which we kinda talked about already here: US MD for Job in Australia

Even if you meet them, it's incredibly competitive. Many domestically trained Australians spend a couple of years applying to get in - as in they don't get in the first year, do hospitalist work in IM a couple of years.

If you're after a simple process to finding competitive employment or training in Australia as an IMG, that's not happening. It's much easier to stay where you've been trained, rather than get slogged through extra hoops as an IMG and then get the privilege of competing with domestically trained grads who are familiar with the system and have local connections.

I can see from your past posts that you're an IMG in the US in residency there.
What exactly happened in your program to make you want to start all over again another country?