Medical residency in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


New Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2014
Reaction score
Hello guys
I am considering moving to Australia and doing my internal medicine residency there. I am ECFMG certified ( done all the steps including step 3) and was wondering, do I have to do a licensing exam? or is the ECFMG certificate enough?
From what I understand, the pathway that I can apply to is the "Competent Authority Pathway"
Last time I checked, one of the forms had a section - Category D:

"Successful completion of the United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3 since 1992, AND
Successful completion of a minimum of two years of graduate medical education within a residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education."

So, am I looking for the wrong pathway? or the only way to become licensed in Australia is by having 2 years in an ACGME-accredited program? (Btw I did not finish my training from an ACGME-accredited program)

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.
I think we need more information. Where did you go to school (which country if you're not comfortable)? Have you completed any post-graduate/residency training, and if so, how much and in what country?
Yeah, sure!
My med school: University of Jordan/ Jordan- Middle east. Nope, no postgrad/ residency in my home country.
Thanks for your reply
Members don't see this ad :)
Both the Competent Authority and Specialist pathways require postgraduate training. You would need to use the Standard pathway. It looks like your school is accredited and recognized by the AMC, and you've already begun the process of working through ECFMG. The steps 1-3 are not required for the Standard pathway (steps are most relevant to USA schools anyway), but having them could help.

This is about the extent of what I'm able to help with, unfortunately, as I haven't been through this process myself or know anyone who has been. I would recommend doing more research into the Standard pathway to see what you can find. Others here might be able to help, but I would recommend registering for the PagingDr forums--they're specific to Australia, and will likely have people better equipped to answer your question.

Best of luck with everything!
Appreciate your help!
Thanks a lot!
AHPRA and AMC are likely to recognise the University you attained your medical degree, but it is noted that you have not completed any formal post-graduate resident/registrar training nor have you attained any recognised specialist qualifications.

It is likely that you will be assigned to the Standard Pathway, where you'll have to complete the AMC examination and then complete at least 12 months of supervised practice in an approved location (typically an accredited public/state hospital).