US IMG - with Pathways, when to take USMLE for fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Default Mode

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am a US IMG - medical student intending to pursue a residency outside of the US - in my country of residence.

Initially, I was planning to take the USMLE steps during medical school, while material is fresh, in order to receive an ECFMG certification allowing me to pursue a fellowship in the US (after completing residency outside of the US) and then return to my country with a US fellowship (it is a common practice where I live).

Now that the Pathways are in place, and permanent ECFMG certificates are no longer provided, I am wondering if it makes sense to take the USMLE exam during medical school. My residency program is at least 4.5 years long + ~2 years until I will begin the program (I will not start residency immediately) = almost 7 years, with no guarantee from the ECFMG that my USMLE steps will not expire after 7 years…

Therefore, I am thinking it may be better to postpone the USMLE steps until completion of residency, and only if a fellowship position is relevant - return to the med school material and complete the steps.

Trying to figure out if this makes sense.

Any input would be appreciated 🙏🏼