US Intern --> Irish Doc Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegreekdon

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends....so here is my story. I am a US Medical School Grad and am about to complete my one year general surgery intern year. I am interested in spending 1-2 years in Ireland working as a doc. I have visited the website http://www.medicalcouncil.ie and see that I qualify for a temporary registration. I see that I may have to sit for the TRAS (still not sure). My question lies with the registration process ...

1. The notary public to vouch for my degree and my internship certificate- can a Notary Public here in the states perform this or does it need to be an Irish notary at the embasy in Washington DC?

2. Should I get sponsorship from the US Dept. of State to get exemption from the TRAS or take it?

3. If I am to get my intern year certifate notarized, how may I do that if I hae yet to finish my intern year?

4. A question in the application "21. PLEASE GIVE THE NAMES OF THE REGISTRATION AUTHORITIES WITH WHICH YOU HOLD/HAVE HELD/OR HAVE BEEN REFUSED REGISTRATION" --what registration authority are they speaking of? Is this not the registration application?

Any input or additional information would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

thegreekdon said:
Hello friends....so here is my story. I am a US Medical School Grad and am about to complete my one year general surgery intern year. I am interested in spending 1-2 years in Ireland working as a doc. I have visited the website http://www.medicalcouncil.ie and see that I qualify for a temporary registration. I see that I may have to sit for the TRAS (still not sure). My question lies with the registration process ...

4. A question in the application "21. PLEASE GIVE THE NAMES OF THE REGISTRATION AUTHORITIES WITH WHICH YOU HOLD/HAVE HELD/OR HAVE BEEN REFUSED REGISTRATION" --what registration authority are they speaking of? Is this not the registration application?

Any input or additional information would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.

Technically, you aren't registered as that term doesn't exist with regards to GME in the US. However, for practical terms they want to know which state you are licensed in/have been licensed in/been refused licensure in.

thegreekdon said:
1. The notary public to vouch for my degree and my internship certificate- can a Notary Public here in the states perform this or does it need to be an Irish notary at the embasy in Washington DC?

Any notary public will do. They will check it's authenticity to a significant degree due to fraudulent applications having been made previously. Generally, you will need your original diplomas from your medical school, a letter from the dean of the school and references from consultants you've worked with. Usually at least 2 references. Basically, if they feel they have enough of background, you're registered. If not, they;ll just refuse, so get all the things above as you would do for US residency anyway.

2. Should I get sponsorship from the US Dept. of State to get exemption from the TRAS or take it?

AFAIK any graduate from outside the EU must take the TRAS. The Dept. of State won't be able to convince the medical council you don't need to take it :). Submit your complete documents for temp registration, then they will tell you (not quickly might I add) whether you can then sit the TRAS for that registration. They will decide if you need to sit it or not.

3. If I am to get my intern year certifate notarized, how may I do that if I hae yet to finish my intern year?

Again, it's all about verification. Plenty of US docs get their intern years in US residencies validated as being an intern year and it's again down to a complete break down of the year and activities learned, etc., what specialities. US intern years are no probs for validation from what I have heard as long as it's general medicine or surgery and not say pathology or something. You would get an official intern year plan for whatever you have and will be doing until June 30th, authorised by whichever program director or whatever and most likely siagned by him to say it was adeuqate. Then they will look through it an check it with them.

What they mean here is that you list all the places a registration authority has licensed you ot practice. By virtue of the fact that you are applying for temporary registration, you must have been working abroad under the jurisdiction of some medical licensing authority. In your case, it would be your State licensing board, whoever would have taken your diplomas, etc., and let you practice. They confirm and check your details with that board/council to make sure your not pending fitness to practice and so on.

In your state, someone will have licensed you to practice already. Or prior to Step III, you will have got a temporary state license or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for that great post....things are much clearer now. I stated in my o.p. that I was curious about the TRAS exam- I misspoke. I know I'll have to take that; but I was looking for exemption from the IELTS (The English Language Test). Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again....