US or Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notetote1111

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still deciding whether to go to US undergrad universities or go to Ireland through ABP.

If I get into a top 10 school like a good Ivy League school, what are my chances of getting into medical school?

Should I risk it and go to Ireland?

Members don't see this ad.

What? I would think this is a no-brainer. The safe answer is that you should be educated where you want to practice. If you want to practice in Ireland (assuming you're American), then come to an Irish school, but know that you may encounter non-EU status concerns in the future. If you want to practice in the US, then complete undergrad in the US. Are you definitely sure at this stage that you want to do medicine? If you view an extra 2 years in US undergrad as a waste of time, then you may want to consider 6-year programs. However, if you want to stay in the US, I'd really recommend completing undergrad in the US.

Attending an Ivy - you'd get the advantage of name and program recognition, but it wouldn't guarantee you medical school entry. You'd still have to prove you're a capable student (i.e. good grades, MCAT) with a good personality.

Do you think my chances of getting to a med school will be high at an Ivy?

I'm not sure about going to Ireland mainly because it's hard to secure a good US residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then you should consider U.S schools.

Hey -
I go to an Ivy, and it's not any sort of guarantee for entry. The name does bring you a lot of recognition and the education is top-class, etc... there are obviously a lot of benefits
But for medical school, it's not any easier to get in as for anyone else. Yeah, a 3.8 at a tough ivy in a hard science might mean a lot to some ad coms, but a 3.3 from anywhere won't really help you. I have friends who have gotten in, and some who were rejected like anywhere else...
My advice to you would be strive for the best undergrad you can get into (and what you can afford, where you'll b happy etc)...do your best from day 1 of semester 1.. and keep working. Don't just go to Ireland cos it's the easiest way out. but if you seriously doubt your abilities..then think about other things...even choice of undergrad school because some Ivy's are hard..
Good luck!

Oh ok thanks.

Since this is the Europe board, are you applying to Ireland too? Is it good to see how the first year GPA is and then if its not satisfactory, then apply to Irish schools?

And do admission officers hold Ivies in higher regard when applying to med school?

What do you suggest?

1) We would have no idea what your chances would be like to get into either an Ivy, a med school, or an Ivy med school. We don't know anything about you and your accomplishments.

2) you could transfer...but wouldn't that be a lot of hassle? Irish schools have gotten transfers from those who decide to quit their degrees and pursue medicine. But in order to get the most fulfillment from your time here, and from medical school, you should WANT to be at the place you go to. You shouldn't look at coming here as a means to an end, otherwise you'll be miserable. Also, Irish applications are getting a lot more competitive...what we usually suggest is that if you can't hack it in US undergrad, the chances of you being able to do well here isn't high. Of course, there are some who do get in here with not-so-great scores, but they aren't in the majority.

3) Ivies have name recognition going for them. That's the only advantage you'll have, really. It all comes down to what you've achieved during your medical student career and personality. If you are really looking to go to a US school and want to know if Ivies hold more regard than the Irish schools, then yes - of course, for the simple reason that you wouldn't be an IMG.

Can't tell you what to do, for obvious reasons. I don't know if you are already are at university, or you still need to get in...but you just need to figure out exactly what it is you want to accomplish.
It would make more sense to give it your all at whatever U.S. school you go to, in grades, research, extra-curricular, whatever..and then see where you are in 3 years. If you're not a U.S. citizen or green card holder, then I'd rethink my options completely..
But assuming you are, then just do your best at undergrad, talk to your advisors and keep it up. One year at undergrad really isn't giving it your all, at least not in my book.... And everyone will realize that, including ad coms. Most ppl's freshman year grades are sort of crappy, and they know that.. so just keep working at it. Yes, Ivies give you recognition and so many other benefits in terms of a great education, but even top grades at an Ivy won't guarantee you anything.

I'm actually in high school. Would this make any difference in your post?

And I am Canadian. Does this reduce my chances of getting into a US medical school if I do my undergrad in the US, and if not, getting a good US residency? or both?

wow, a little early to start worrying about this, although understandable :). Take it easy! I believe Canadians are safe in applying for US medical schools, even if they have gone to Canadian undergrads. I'm not sure about US undergrads, but not sure. The reverse isn't true. Now, stop worrying...be confident in your abilities and don't look for ways out so quickly! It seems obvious to me that you want to practice back home/in the US, so don't sell yourself short and look for other options before you even start college! Also, don't fall for the fallacy that acceptance into Ivies is entry into free and easy living for the rest of your life :). Nepotism and name-recog. only go so far. At the end of the day, it depends on what type of person you are and your personal abilities/achievements.

So would you say that generally, the safer route would be to go to a US medical school instead of going to Ireland?

I'm Canadian so if I do a US undergrad, I would apply to both Canadian and US medical schools.

What if I plan to practice in Canada but want to go to the US for undergrad and/or med school?

then you are turning the cookie around your neck and then eat it.

If you graduate from U.S and want to do residency in Canada, you will be in 2nd round which means Family practice....
Stick with U.S

Rico

Rico said:
then you are turning the cookie around your neck and then eat it.

If you graduate from U.S and want to do residency in Canada, you will be in 2nd round which means Family practice....
Stick with U.S

Rico

It is not that simple...

http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp?path=../content/applying/eligibility

As a current US grad (w/ Canadian citzenship or landed immigrant status), one would be currently eligible for first iteration in:

• Newfoundland
  • Quebec
  • Ontario
  • Alberta
  • British Columbia

Second iteration in:

• Nova Scotia
  • Manitoba
  • Saskatchewan

Obviously these are subject to change and residency PDs may be more inclined to pick Canadian grads.

Miklos

I want to go to US for undergrad but Canada for medical school and residency.

Is this common? Would this give me an edge coming from a top US undergrad?

For any province except Ontario, if you are a resident of that province then you have a better chance to get into. I don't think you will have an edge over a Canadian University just because you went to a top US university. First they mainly look at your GPA.

By "better chance to get into", are you referring to med school or residency?

Either way, I have checked and Ontario does admit US undergrads (Cdn citizens) to their med schools. They also allow US med school grads who are Cdn citizens in Round 1 of the match.

If you are already in ivy undergrad then keep on going.

If not and you want to save yourself a couple of years at a not so small financial expense then go to ireland .

In terms of residency its a mixed bag but generally you will be a better candidate for a US residency if you studied in the US.