US Residency Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applications start around October of your final year of study correct? Interviews start sometime in December but won't European students still be across the Atlantic? If you have ~10 interviews, will residency programs help pay for the plane tickets? What about pre-matching?

Members don't see this ad.

You will generally need to start to get ready a full year before you plan to start your intern year. That's July or August. You then apply in September, interview in October-January, match in March and start in June.

When do you graduate? Are you a summer or winter graduate? That will decide your timeline. The timing of the boards is important, too.

Pre-matches are horrible things from the past that will hopefully be outlawed soon (my personal opinion). They still exist this year.

Very few, if any, programs will pay for your plane tickets. It involves a lot of flying if you're in Europe during the interview season (which I am) but that's life.

Apply As soon as you can in The summer before final year

Invites for intervews Sept-Jan of Final Year (assuming your final year begins in the autmn)

Hope to interview in Nov-Jan..try to block trips

It gets expensive flying across the pond, I had to do it 3 times for interviews

Submit your list in Feb

Allow your Anus to clamp shut until match day

Match Day-hopefully a big party....what is a few more pints when you are already in that much debt!