US to Canadian licensure

Started by thinktank
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thinktank

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question,
As we know internal med residency in the US takes 3 years, while in Canada it takes 4 years. I have heard that we should do a fellowship, so it will qualify the 4 year requirement (so we could be eligible in writing the RCPSC exam for the internal med = equivalent to the American internal medicine board).

As far as I know, any fellowship subspecialty will qualify, correct? How about chief residency, will this satisfy the 4 year requirement of residency training?
 
I doubt chief residency will be enough. They do recommend any 1 year fellowship, ie: geriatric medicine.
You can contact them and ask for a preliminary assessment though!
 
How about fellowships other than geriatrics?? e.g. Pulm/GI/Renal/Cards/etc.?

Thank's M. furfur!

Anyone else know the answer to my Q?

TT
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In terms of other fellowships to fulfill that "extra" year that we do in Canada, it can be in anything internal med related.
For most Canadians who do specialities other than GIM we don't spend an extra year compared to our American compatriots ie GI is 5 years in both countries (typically, I'm not including research years), Endo is 5, cards is 6....
The Royal College exam for GIM requires 4 years in medicine, the first three general and the last can be anything.
This means that all the newly minted fellows in ID, endo, cards, pulm... are killing themselves in the 4th year making sure they know enough GIM to pass the college exams and reading enough in their own subject area.
The GIM fellows enjoy their lives alot more than us. The idea is to tailor your last year in order to prepare for your future practice environment. For example if you're going rural and have to run ICU's you may want to do extra ICU in that last year in order to make sure you can handle it.
 
Hi, can somebody give me info on how to get old questions and notes for the written and oral Royal College Canada Internal Medicine exam? also how can I get in touch with a study group for preparation?
I know it is tough if you do not prepare well
I live in the US and completed residency and fellowship here.
Any info is welcomed, thanks a lot!