Other US visa application process for foreign cardiology fellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okihara

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my case is as follows:
  • Physician with EU citizenship, graduated 10 years ago
  • Cardiology training fully completed in my home country
  • Never worked in the US before
  • Interested in pursuing a medical fellowship in the US with several options to choose from (some accredited, some not)
  • ECFMG exams completed, certificate to be delivered soon (no idea why this is taking so long)
  • USMLE Step 3 not taken yet
Could anyone kindly help me navigate through the following:
  1. Can I already start the visa application process even though USMLE Step 3 is not done yet? Apparently, this last step seems a requirement in some States.
    If so, how do you start and where do you get advice? Do I need to hire a lawyer or is it usual to apply and do that yourself?

2. If some fellowship positions are not ACGME accredited, what options do I have at the end of my training should they wish to stay in the US?
If this forum is not the right place to ask, thanks for advising a more suitable community;

A great many thanks to all who share pointers, I'm in the midst of submitting a few articles and overwhelmed by the US red tape.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

You will get more results if you post in a different forum - maybe general residency.

Generally, you need to already have a position to apply for a work visa, as the employer is the one to sponsor the visa.

Reactions: 1 user