• Poll closed .

jayK

sea turtles
Jan 5, 2014
USA
Status
Medical Student
Hi

I was wondering if you all could please help me with this dilemma ive been facing

Im a US citizen who happened to have done my medical training (my mbbs ) from India and , now that im done, i have a choice of either staying here (which i dont want to ), or returning to the US which im not sure that i should, cuz, ive been hearing that getting into a residency is getting really hard and that, the USMLE exams have been getting even harder, which is to control the sudden influx of so many IMG's and also, Obama just passed a law that those students with pending student loans from American banks should be prefered before the others (meaning imgs) is making it hard to land a residency there, apart from that i wouldn't mind returning, and im also considering Australia for a residency which im not sure is a good idea
please help should i go back the US or should i go to Aussie ?

thank you

Apr 14, 2010
Status
Too many racial attacks on Indians in Australia.
Better stay in India and help your own people. They need and deserve your help, but to do that you will need to think beyond yourself.
Look at all the rampant poverty in India and ask yourself how many American or Australian graduate doctors will come to India and help these people who live by 100 of millions on side walks alone?

OP
jayK

jayK

sea turtles
Jan 5, 2014
USA
Status
Medical Student
Too many racial attacks on Indians in Australia.
Better stay in India and help your own people. They need and deserve your help, but to do that you will need to think beyond yourself.
Look at all the rampant poverty in India and ask yourself how many American or Australian graduate doctors will come to India and help these people who live by 100 of millions on side walks alone?
Although you may be right but my entire family is in the US and my brother is in Australia id rather be with family and around the environment i grew up in ... but i do plan to come back to India once i have finished my higher education and am satisfied with my years of practice and service, so thank you but i would like to go where my heart is. once ive weighed the pros and cons of my options of course. but thank you

Mordecai

OMFS Trouble maker
7+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2010
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
The racial attacks on Indians is a bunch of bupkis. Indians do very well in Australia thank you. They are the second largest group of migrants to my home state . Medical schools in my state have a large number of Aussies of Indian ethnicity, and this is reflected nationwide. The head of the AMA was an Indian. Half of my year of OMS residents from my state are of Indian extraction. Indians in urban Aus who are assaulted are often recent migrants. They get beaten up because they live in low income areas with other recent migrants. BTW the people who assault the Indians are mostly migrants from the pacific islands or Africa. When they're not beating Indians they beat everyone else, but the Indian and international press don't care about that so much.