Usafsam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docsmiles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be at the medical student's version of SAM for 2 weeks starting on 3 JUL & I was wondering if any of you who have been to SAM have any suggestions or advice? I know the first session for this year just got done today so I am curious what they have to say since I think there were a lot of changes from the past.

I especially would like to know what I need to bring besides BDUs, set of blues, swimsuit, & some civi clothes. The website said to bring work gloves. Is there someplace I can easily buy them there or should I get some ahead of time?
Do you have internet access?
What did you wear for PT?
Did you have any assignments/homework?
What did you do when you were there?

Thanks, any input is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know the second class should be finishing up today... is there anyone out there who can tell me what to expect at SAM? I'm an HPSP student going to the third session next week. Thanks!

I was in the first class....

Internet access? Yes, almost everyone was billitted @ the LaQuinta Inn
Pt? Any shorts, T-shirt (non-offensive), and appropriate shoes
Homework? NO...nothing...showing up was all that was required.

What did we do? We did some classroom, and what seemed like a lot of tours of different places. Some were good, some were not as informative. I think they took out some of the really cool things from last year (the obstacle course, ability to be spun up in the centrifuge, etc), and they seemed to have some trouble keeping us busy from time to time.

We did not wear blues at all. BDUs only, and I believe that my orders even said that the UOD for the course was the BDU. I didn't bring work gloves, we only needed them for one thing, and they had them provided.

There is a wal-mart right acrossed the street from the LaQuinta, so you can buy anything you forget, some groceries (fridge/freezer/microwave in room), etc.

Civys: you will have a lot of free time, make sure you have plenty of civys. Also, on one day, we were required to wear khaki/dress pants (girls--no skits), shirt (collared, or something nice), and closed toe shoes. ...We were all sporting Wal-mart style that day. ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
Like KaiKai, I went to the first USAFSAM class this summer. In short, it was the anti-COT. You get done by 1630 everyday (sometime 1430). You don't have homework, assignments, tests, or uniform inspections---just make sure that you look presentable. You won't get yelled at by the sergeants, and the colonels are really nice. You'll get nights and the weekend off to explore the city. Many of us went tubing down the river on Saturday and then visited SeaWorld on Sunday. Bring your military ID with you everywhere you go because of the multitude of discounts and free admission to SeaWorld as a result of being in the military. Bring lots of civvies and sunscreen.

deuist said:
Like KaiKai, I went to the first USAFSAM class this summer. In short, it was the anti-COT. You get done by 1630 everyday (sometime 1430). You don't have homework, assignments, tests, or uniform inspections---just make sure that you look presentable. You won't get yelled at by the sergeants, and the colonels are really nice. You'll get nights and the weekend off to explore the city. Many of us went tubing down the river on Saturday and then visited SeaWorld on Sunday. Bring your military ID with you everywhere you go because of the multitude of discounts and free admission to SeaWorld as a result of being in the military. Bring lots of civvies and sunscreen.

Yes lots of fun, like a paid summer vacation. Did you guys go to NASA-JSC this year?