USAP Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makemoney2024

Reaction score
The rumor mill has it that the Denver USAPs and maybe others in CO are about to implode due to the FTC lawsuit against USAP. Let’s watch out for locums assignments there. Although Denver is not known for good pay there may be some upcoming good opportunities due to a quick exit of USAP!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve heard some bad rumors…but hope a private presence could reform at these USAP sites vs just hospital employment chaos

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve heard some bad rumors…but hope a private presence could reform at these USAP sites vs just hospital employment chaos

I mean when you mess things up so bad that you have a waiting list to leave...

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
What rumors have you heard? I’d honestly like to be informed. Pm if you prefer - or pm me and I’ll give you my number

What rumors have you heard? I’d honestly like to be informed. Pm if you prefer - or pm me and I’ll give you my number
literally what I said in the OP. Because the FTC is coming after them they are getting pushed out by the hospitals. That is all. This is from one of the doctors I work with who has friends down there.

literally what I said in the OP. Because the FTC is coming after them they are getting pushed out by the hospitals. That is all. This is from one of the doctors I work with who has friends down there.

I know some people in the area and I haven't heard this. That doesn't mean it isn't true but I have heard the opposite: USAP Denver continues to be short 20-30 people everyday. They want to leave certain hospitals but the hospitals beg them to stay. The only other groups in town don't want call or only want to expand by surgery center to not increase their call burden. The hospitals created a crisis by going exclusive all across Denver with USAP, and now there are no other groups when the hospitals want a change.

Reactions: 2 users
I know some people in the area and I haven't heard this. That doesn't mean it isn't true but I have heard the opposite: USAP Denver continues to be short 20-30 people everyday. They want to leave certain hospitals but the hospitals beg them to stay. The only other groups in town don't want call or only want to expand by surgery center to not increase their call burden. The hospitals created a crisis by going exclusive all across Denver with USAP, and now there are no other groups when the hospitals want a change.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😆😆😆😆😆😆😆. Thanks for making me laugh! You sleep with the devil he better keep you warm!!

Time to take medicine back!!!

Hospitals are paying for their greed. Guess USAP overpromised eh?
Soo.. are they working their docs to the bone or what?

Last edited:
Bingo

The hospitals are in a catch-22.

Kick usap out. That’s what this one hospital I know tried to do. Than the hospital admin had second thoughts 2 weeks later and decided it’s “cheaper to keep her” lol mentality.

Like a husband who wants to leave the wife but it’s finds out it’s too expensive to dump her.

So Hospitals can dump usap. But it will cost them even more to take on another mistress (that’s mistress aka another amc wants subsidies as well) or take it in house. (Marry another woman and u got to deal with her internally in House).

Bingo

Kick usap out. That’s what this one hospital I know tried to do. Than the hospital admin had second thoughts 2 weeks later and decided it’s “cheaper to keep her” lol mentality.

Like a husband who wants to leave the wife but it’s finds out it’s too expensive to dump her.

So Hospitals can dump usap. But it will cost them even more to take on another mistress (that’s mistress aka another amc wants subsidies as well) or take it in house. (Marry another woman and u got to deal with her internally in House).
So you’re suggesting that hospitals aren’t insulated from market factors that affect all anesthesia practices, USAP included?

Bingo

Corporate greed. They brought this upon themselves

Corporate greed. They brought this upon themselves
The sad part is that Welsh Carson will suck money out of USAP by way of the doctors and patients all the way to the end. They don't care if USAP burns - it's built into their strategy.

• Angry
Members don't see this ad :)
The sad part is that Welsh Carson will suck money out of USAP by way of the doctors and patients all the way to the end. They don't care if USAP burns - it's built into their strategy.
No. Welsh Carson doesn’t want to run usap. They really don’t want any of it. Even the 20% fees

Their strategy was always to flip it and be done with it by 2018.

Their strategy was always to flip it and be done with it by 2018.
Agreed - their gameplan was certainly to flip it at some point, but now that it's burning s/p NSA they'll pull money out of it, load it with debt, and write it off.

Reactions: 2 users
The rumor mill has it that the Denver USAPs and maybe others in CO are about to implode due to the FTC lawsuit against USAP. Let’s watch out for locums assignments there. Although Denver is not known for good pay there may be some upcoming good opportunities due to a quick exit of USAP!!
The FTC lawsuit has to do with Texas not CO. USAP has separate divisions in each state that are sort of ran independently. The Texas market is different and what they did would be somewhat good for providers if they received the benefit for the higher unit value directly.... if FTC does indeed win this the only result would be global decrease in reimbursements. They don't give two ****s about what's right or wrong its all about the same thing - PAYING LESS MONEY to the provider......

The FTC lawsuit has to do with Texas not CO. USAP has separate divisions in each state that are sort of ran independently. The Texas market is different and what they did would be somewhat good for providers if they received the benefit for the higher unit value directly.... if FTC does indeed win this the only result would be global decrease in reimbursements. They don't give two ****s about what's right or wrong its all about the same thing - PAYING LESS MONEY to the provider......
Interesting!

Yea that’s why I was asking… i thought the ftc thing was in Texas only… hadn’t heard about Colorado.
From what I have heard parts of USAP Colorado are doing very well and recruiting is much better in Denver. I think Colorado Springs and other outside areas struggle. I think there are some sites USAP has pulled out of.. like Pueblo.
The other group in Colorado Springs also pays under market… must be a bad payor mix as that area seems to not pay well in and out of USAP.
This FTC has gone after Amazon and several other big companies- i think her name is Lina khan. She seems to want to make a name for herself

Yea that’s why I was asking… i thought the ftc thing was in Texas only… hadn’t heard about Colorado.
From what I have heard parts of USAP Colorado are doing very well and recruiting is much better in Denver. I think Colorado Springs and other outside areas struggle. I think there are some sites USAP has pulled out of.. like Pueblo.
The other group in Colorado Springs also pays under market… must be a bad payor mix as that area seems to not pay well in and out of USAP.
This FTC has gone after Amazon and several other big companies- i think her name is Lina khan. She seems to want to make a name for herself

USAP Denver definitely does not recruit well. They recently lost/pulled out of several surgery center and hospital contracts because they were so short staffed. They wanted to pull out of more but the hospitals convinced them to stay by subsidizing locums. I hear they still struggle with staffing and are constantly asking people to work late, post call, and give up vacation.

Uchealth is the other group in Colorado springs. They were able to recruit and have gotten rid of all their locums. They pay, benefits, and lifestyle is quite good (which is why they were able to recruit). I believe the secretary of state in Colorado was also investigating USAP for it's business practices, but that's just a rumor I heard.

Kaiser was able to recruit 19 new anesthesiologists last year. Because they pay well with good benefits and lifestyle. It's not complicated. Pay and treat your people well and you will have no problem recruiting.

GasWork.com - Reference #445296

Low 400s for q6 call (q12 first call and q11 second call) at a level one trauma center “usually” supervising is below market. That uchealth job sucks. F that.

Kaiser where? That’s not what I know - Kaiser outside DC in va/md/dc is hemorrhaging doctors. One of my bffs works there - they’ve lost 9 drs in the past couple months…. They’re up s—- creek and a month away from not being able to staff anything when everyone’s notice is up

Low 400s for q6 call (q12 first call and q11 second call) at a level one trauma center “usually” supervising is below market. That uchealth job sucks. F that.

Kaiser where? That’s not what I know - Kaiser outside DC in va/md/dc is hemorrhaging doctors. One of my bffs works there - they’ve lost 9 drs in the past couple months…. They’re up s—- creek and a month away from not being able to staff anything when everyone’s notice is up
You really seem to love USAP from all your posts.

Kaiser mid Atlantic dc area has to hire locums crna to cover their ob shifts also. Means very short staff

It depends on the goals of the physican. The benefits look very good with up to 70k pretax savings with their 401a/403/457b that amc do not offer

Plus healthcare which is much better than usap or envision healthcare.

If u are married physican on one income and non working spouse and kids. It sounds appealing if u weak the schedule and make night float docs also. So day docs and night docs with 26 weeks off for night docs. Win win for everyone. Have docs do (4) 10 hrs or (5 8 hours)

This is the new model folks. Time off or no calls. Incentives for weekends as well

Make it like the VA on steroids are slightly higher pay. Effectively a no call job for 450k for 35 hours a week or night float job with tons of time off.

Last edited:
You really seem to love USAP from all your posts.
USAP isn’t perfect… but it’s the best deal out there… especially in my city. I’ve really grown to love dallas so it’s become home.

What can I say? I’m happy - I have a good job. I don’t work that hard and bank… the patient acuity is high… but that never scared a “cowgirl” like me ;-)

Reactions: 5 users
It depends on the goals of the physican. The benefits look very good with up to 70k pretax savings with their 401a/403/457b that amc do not offer

If u are married physican on one income and non working spouse and kids. It sounds appealing if u weak the schedule and make night float docs also. So day docs and night docs with 26 weeks off for night docs. Win win for everyone. Have docs do (4) 10 hrs or (5 8 hours)

This is the new model folks. Time off or no calls. Incentives for weekends as well

Make it like the VA on steroids are slightly higher pay. Effectively a no call job for 450k for 35 hours a week or night float job with tons of time off.
not sure what you are talking about in benefits - USAP 401k is 70k a year and I’ll take a 501k over a pension every time - in the event of fiscal issues pensions aren’t guaranteed paid. those health care benefits look very similar to the USAP plan. If I took call q6 I’d make double what they’re offering - and level one trauma as well.
Sorry but that uchealth job is under market - maybe not if you HAVE to live in Colorado Springs - but it’s way under any other market

not sure what you are talking about in benefits - USAP 401k is 70k a year and I’ll take a 501k over a pension every time - in the event of fiscal issues pensions aren’t guaranteed paid. those health care benefits look very similar to the USAP plan. If I took call q6 I’d make double what they’re offering - and level one trauma as well.
Sorry but that uchealth job is under market - maybe not if you HAVE to live in Colorado Springs - but it’s way under any other market
It depends on the work house. I think the job can be tweaked and made into a no call position along with hiring 4 new docs dedicated to night float system for same 425-450k making it a 35 hour work week for day docs with 8 weeks plus 10 state holidays off and a 28 hour work week for dedicated njght float docs on average with 26 weeks off

As for the pension. No state pension has failed.

Usap does not have a low deductible /low co pay $428 a month plan. Most of their plans are 10k and up. And that’s around $600 with a 10-12k deductible

That’s the Colorado plan

Anyways it all boils down to work Load and work hours. And call burden. I can easily make it a non call or night float job with those cush hourly like my place and u will fill up the place with docs easily.

It’s all about the those things now
1. Work load (easy 1:2)
2. Call burden (zero) no nights limited days on weekends
3 benefits (outstanding
4 work hours (35 hours)
5. Pay below average

6. Have separate night float team (usually young docs will take it and give them 26 weeks off)

Factor all that in. U can recruit easily for docs looking for lifestyle

So they need to hire me to do their consulting work and how to change their staffing model

Sorry, but, you are wrong. That base salary is with 16 weeks off. The docs supervisor in the OR less than half the time. The benefits probably add up to a 100k as well. People I know in that group take 10-12 weeks off instead of 16 and make close to 600k. Plus benefits. Its far better than USAP.

The kaiser position I was talking about is in Denver. They took over a hospital from USAP and needed to hire 18 anesthesiologists, and did so in about 3 months.

Neither UCHealth in the springs nor Kaiser Colorado are using locums. Neither group required a 10% "salary reduction" and then required people to buy worthless stock that you cannot sell. I get you need to cope because you work for USAP, but in Colorado it is definitely the worst job, which is why they are full of locums and still can't cover all their ORs.

Reactions: 1 users
How can they put 70k into a 401k??

With match and profit sharing it’s up to the federal limit

Sorry, but, you are wrong. That base salary is with 16 weeks off. The docs supervisor in the OR less than half the time. The benefits probably add up to a 100k as well. People I know in that group take 10-12 weeks off instead of 16 and make close to 600k. Plus benefits. Its far better than USAP.

The kaiser position I was talking about is in Denver. They took over a hospital from USAP and needed to hire 18 anesthesiologists, and did so in about 3 months.

Neither UCHealth in the springs nor Kaiser Colorado are using locums. Neither group required a 10% "salary reduction" and then required people to buy worthless stock that you cannot sell. I get you need to cope because you work for USAP, but in Colorado it is definitely the worst job, which is why they are full of locums and still can't cover all their ORs.
I don’t need to “cope.” I’m in USAP dallas so a totally different market and independent of USAP Colorado.
I just, respectfully, disagree - even at 10 weeks vacation and 600 plus benefits - level one trauma and 50% supervision - I still think that’s underpaid… but maybe comparing dallas to Colorado Springs isn’t fair 🤷‍♀️
The markets must be very different-

It depends on the work house. I think the job can be tweaked and made into a no call position along with hiring 4 new docs dedicated to night float system for same 425-450k making it a 35 hour work week for day docs with 8 weeks plus 10 state holidays off and a 28 hour work week for dedicated njght float docs on average with 26 weeks off

As for the pension. No state pension has failed.

Usap does not have a low deductible /low co pay $428 a month plan. Most of their plans are 10k and up. And that’s around $600 with a 10-12k deductible

That’s the Colorado plan

Anyways it all boils down to work Load and work hours. And call burden. I can easily make it a non call or night float job with those cush hourly like my place and u will fill up the place with docs easily.

It’s all about the those things now
1. Work load (easy 1:2)
2. Call burden (zero) no nights limited days on weekends
3 benefits (outstanding
4 work hours (35 hours)
5. Pay below average

6. Have separate night float team (usually young docs will take it and give them 26 weeks off)

Factor all that in. U can recruit easily for docs looking for lifestyle

So they need to hire me to do their consulting work and how to change their staffing model
Alaska Michigan and West Virginia have all had failed pensions. Google it

With match and profit sharing it’s up to the federal limit
Only as a partner. That’s a 2-3 year commitment. It works for some people depends on the structure

I think most people people think year to year or even month to month

That’s her. She is 34 years old 😮

Waiting for her to go after UHC.

Reactions: 5 users
Someone already said it…you guys are comparing apples to oranges.

USAP Dalllas is probably the best USAP group, USAP Colorado is probably the worst.

Dallas has one of the best payer mixes in the country and I’m also pretty sure USAP gets a stipend for trauma on top of their crazy high rates there.

While Denver’s payer mix isn’t awful, it’s also not Dallas. They were also historically more MD only and who knows about the stipend piece.

I know some MDs who actually left the original groups that became USAP and went to Kaiser in Colorado. They echo what the other poster said that Kaiser>>>>>USAP in Colorado.

Whether USAP falls in CO…someone else already said it…probably not as hospitals don’t have a great second choice. But over and over again we hear how bad it is.

USAP is still>>>>NAPA. Again There is also still a massive difference within USAP groups. Even in Texas the feedback I hear is Dallas best, Austin worst, and Houston in middle. Maryland known for being meh at best. Vegas and Seattle have issues too. Orlando takes advantage of junior partners, etc.

The problem with all USAP though is rates are capped with no surprises act as they have the highest rates in the state. How they handle increasing expenses while giving 20-40% to PE is the issue. Right now they are increasing stipends and pruning “bad contracts”. That will work for a while and work better in some areas than others.

Stipends will reach a point though where hospitals will just choose to employ. Again, will happen quicker in some areas than others. Dallas likely last to fall if ever.

Reactions: 6 users
That’s her. She is 34 years old 😮

Waiting for her to go after UHC.

Jeez! How is she so young and already in this position. She must be a bad ass or knows the right people.

Jeez! How is she so young and already in this position. She must be a bad ass or knows the right people.
It’s the ivy league hookup. One of the big advantages of going to ivy leagues

Many investment bankers I know pursue these routes

Ivy League undergrad
Govt hookup at the feds for 2 years
Go back and get masters degrees

Get potentially paying banking job at age 26/27.

That ftc lady got similar govt hookups. Whether she stays in that position or moves on will be up to here. The private equity people have direct access or know people to put pawns like her in power to do what they want.

It benefits her as well because it opens up a whole world of future opportunities.

Ivy League undergrad

That ftc lady got similar govt hookups. Whether she stays in that position or moves on will be up to here. The private equity people have direct access or know people to put pawns like her in power to do what they want.

It benefits her as well because it opens up a whole world of future opportunities.
The ivy league thing is absolutely a component. She has the right pedigree. People in DC/NYC/Boston are pathologically obsessed with academic pedigree as a measure of one's worth. I'm glad that oddly enough in medicine we mostly don't care where our colleagues went to school and all that - we are way more concerned with how good they are clinically.

But to be fair to Khan she was a fairly influential antitrust legal scholar and law professor before being appointed to the FTC. That said, she is very young for the job and doesn't have experience in actual public service or in managing a large business/agency. She does directly meet the policy goals of the Biden administration and is certainly acting in line with what they want, policy-wise.

I personally think she's fairly anti-private-equity. She doesn't strike me as a pawn.

The ivy league thing is absolutely a component. She has the right pedigree. People in DC/NYC/Boston are pathologically obsessed with academic pedigree as a measure of one's worth. I'm glad that oddly enough in medicine we mostly don't care where our colleagues went to school and all that - we are way more concerned with how good they are clinically.

But to be fair to Khan she was a fairly influential antitrust legal scholar and law professor before being appointed to the FTC. That said, she is very young for the job and doesn't have experience in actual public service or in managing a large business/agency. She does directly meet the policy goals of the Biden administration and is certainly acting in line with what they want, policy-wise.

I personally think she's fairly anti-private-equity. She doesn't strike me as a pawn.

I read her paper "Amazon's Antitrust Paradox" and thought it was good. Pretty sure that gained her a great deal of notoriety in academia. She has garnered some criticism within the FTC for arguably overzealous prosecution of antitrust cases. I'm in favor of increased antitrust law enforcement so I'm fine if she tries some challenging cases and they ultimately don't succeed. Better that than being too scared to try any which, again IMO, is the precedent.

She is a pawn. Easily influence.

Explain and I’d like to ask her why she put a pause on non compete bands? Because may be the American hospital associate strong arm her to putting a pause to it.

She is a pawn. Easily influence.

Explain and I’d like to ask her why she put a pause on non compete bands? Because may be the American hospital associate strong arm her to putting a pause to it.

From the FTC website I just see that they've extended the comment period until this April. Do you have any reporting suggesting the FTC/Khan has reversed its position? Changing public policy takes time in a democracy so I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt unless you have some strong evidence of hospitals "strong arming" her

From the FTC website I just see that they've extended the comment period until this April. Do you have any reporting suggesting the FTC/Khan has reversed its position? Changing public policy takes time in a democracy so I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt unless you have some strong evidence of hospitals "strong arming" her
American hospital association opposes ftc proposal. They will get their way. Just like how they help write Obamacare.

They have strong arm the ftc.

Watch. They will crawl up and say it’s up to the states to determine non competes. Lol

Basically punt it back to the states like the crna opt out models.

American hospital association opposes ftc proposal. They will get their way. Just like how they help write Obamacare.

They have strong arm the ftc.

Watch. They will crawl up and say it’s up to the states to determine non competes. Lol

Basically punt it back to the states like the crna opt out models.

So... no reporting to back up your claim that she is a "pawn" being "strong arm"-ed?

Last edited:
So... no reporting to back up your claim that she is a "pawn" being "strong armed"-ed?
Doesn’t have to have any claims. U can see it clear as light.

Or are u the same people who believe fanni Willis/nathan wade trump scandal with wade smirking on the stands saying he was paid in cash.

Or are u the same people who believe fanni Willis/nathan wade trump scandal with wade smirking on the stands saying he was paid in cash.

I see an FTC that is taking its time to allow public comment. Whether that is an incompetitent misstep, deliberate calculation within democratic bureaucracy, or political obfuscation is definitely debatable. You haven't provided any evidence that its obfuscation other than alluding to previous FTC filings from over a decade ago and saying it's "clear as light" to you.

If you sent me a Breitbart or InfoWars article to flesh out your conspiracy, that's better than nothing.

• Haha

Ivy League undergrad

Jesus. Well that's a world I know nothing of. I figure it's connections. Thanks for the input.

Soo... do you believe the FanniWillis scandal? I haven't kept up honestly but she was spicy on the stand. I was afraid she would be held in contempt or something. LOL

Soo... do you believe the FanniWillis scandal? I haven't kept up honestly but she was spicy on the stand. I was afraid she would be held in contempt or something. LOL
It's the lies that will get them. Look I tend to vote conservative but do vote for some dems I like. We have so many one sided political people on these message board. I joke when I say fair and balance. They think I am some far right winger which I am not. I see both sides.

Trump is a scum. But he's entertainment. That's why I find what he does amusing. Do you think any far right winger or republican support would call trump scum? I am.

But Dems also need to see both sides and the elite Dems do not.

The Willis lady is trying to make a name for herself. Fair enough. The trump guys dug up dirt on her. It has no bearing on the prosecution. But she's dug herself in a deep hole. They are either setting up for a reversal even if they get a conviction. That's why it's best she steps aside from the case which she won't. The Wade guy is taking advantage of the situation. He got overpaid. No matter he took a low $250/hr consulting job. It's the nearly 700K in billable hours vs what the other attorney billed for.

It's like me as a locus doc willing to take a $250/hr assignment but I"m getting to bill for 168 hours for the week. Vs some other locums doctor taking. $450/hr rate but billing for 50 hours a week.

Who's getting the better deal?

And with Wade smirking on the stands. No credible person believes in this day and age, someone would exchange thousands of dollars of cash with friends. Especially with no banking withdrawal transaction over the say the past 10 years. I took up $3000 cash last week. It's all traceable. If I deposit cash it's traceable. I do know people who keep around 30K cash. It's in a safe. I'm surprise she wasn't even asked that question.

Regardless it's the lies that makes her not credible. People can say it's irrelevant to the case. But remember Nixon wasn't actually involved in the Watergate breakin. It was his lies that got him. Same with my favorite president. Bill Clinton. If he'd just admit his affair, he never loses his law license for perjury.

Ha…. you better work on your numbers a little buddy. Night float sucks. Especially if it is your permanent “gig”.

650k is what one of my old partners is making working one week on one week off doing night float. You need to pay up to turn someone into a vampire.

Cash or Blood- you choose.