USAP losing contracts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You would. Buts lots of people won’t.

Do a search in recent threads on job markets in and immediately around big metro areas. That’s where most people actually live.

If you polled young docs and gave them a choice:

1. 450-500 package in big metro area including suburbs reasonably close to some family.

2. 600+ package and much lower cost of living in small town USA far from family.

Most would choose 1.
Yep.

In a city of 200k people, but because of the location, we have a hard time recruiting. Folks could get to our airport 30 minutes before their flight (after only a 10 minute drive to get there) and be in Dallas/Houston/Austin in less than an hour. Be in Vegas (direct) in less than TWO.

But everyone wants to live in a huge metro area, thinking that paying twice as much for a home, and fighting traffic 1-1/2 to 2 hours a day is more “convenient”....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Yep.

In a city of 200k people, but because of the location, we have a hard time recruiting. Folks could get to our airport 30 minutes before their flight (after only a 10 minute drive to get there) and be in Dallas/Houston/Austin in less than an hour. Be in Vegas (direct) in less than TWO.

But everyone wants to live in a huge metro area, thinking that paying twice as much for a home, and fighting traffic 1-1/2 to 2 hours a day is more “convenient”....
Is this North texas?

Yep.

Comfort of the familiar. The devil you know, etc., etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep.

I moved from a top 5 metro population area to a top 25 metro population area. Not dealing with a 20 mile/35 min (6am commute to hospital) (1 hour home in rush hour 4-5pm)

But in top 25 metro area. It’s 37 min (38 miles). I do speed. But still can take one hour to go home in rush hour.

I’ve also lived in an area of 250k for 12 months. The wife hated it there. And that’s why we left. Being “2 hours” away from top 5-7 metro population area in a town of 250k is still 2 hours away.

Reactions: 2 users
I moved from a top 5 metro population area to a top 25 metro population area. Not dealing with a 20 mile/35 min (6am commute to hospital) (1 hour home in rush hour 4-5pm)

But in top 25 metro area. It’s 37 min (38 miles). I do speed. But still can take one hour to go home in rush hour.

I’ve also lived in an area of 250k for 12 months. The wife hated it there. And that’s why we left. Being “2 hours” away from top 5-7 metro population area in a town of 250k is still 2 hours away.
I did locums 2hrs away from top 3 metro. I would absolutely hate to live there. No life.

Reactions: 1 user
I finished residency about 20 years ago. The “aggravation factor” Among the anesthesiologists and surgeons that I work with is the highest I’ve ever seen. Firefighters here in Las Vegas make about $200,000, nurse anesthetist are heading towards $300,000, yet physicians have seen essentially no pay increase. Everybody else is getting paid more, yet the melting ice cubes that I am getting are worth 50% less than they were two years ago.

If one factors in overtime pay and just a little bit of a productivity factor, an ICU nurse here in Las Vegas is making about half of what I make. I feel that I am worth eight times more what an ICU nurse should get, given the fact that my education took three times longer, I am way more productive and have way more responsibility and stress. Some general locum tenens positions for anesthesia are paying $400/hr an hour and I think that is about right.

Just for reference, one day last week I did seven robot General Surgery cases by 3 PM. No break no lunch, seven tap blocks, intubations, wake ups and all the charting. Mostly somewhat ill Medicaid patients. Then I had another ex lap and a urology case to follow that for nine cases by 6 PM. The next day I was supervising with three thoracic cases in one room and six orthopedic cases in the other.

Surgeons are working hard too and equally frustrated. Numerous hospitals have only intermittent General Surgery call and some have picked up some surgeons that I would not let operate on me to cover their after hours work. They are very hesitant to pay adequate call stipends to doctors, yet are fine paying traveling nurses $130 an hour.

My crystal ball is at the shop, undergoing repairs, but I don’t see how something significant isn’t going to change in the near future.

Reactions: 11 users
Is this North texas?

For reference, North TX usually refers to the Dallas/Ft Worth area. If I had to guess what area they are talking about, I'm thinking something along the lines of Amarillo/Lubbock/Abilene. I'm in DFW now and I completely agree that there is no amount of money you could pay me to move to those areas. Especially being married with school aged kids. If I was single, it might be a different story

I finished residency about 20 years ago. The “aggravation factor” Among the anesthesiologists and surgeons that I work with is the highest I’ve ever seen. Firefighters here in Las Vegas make about $200,000, nurse anesthetist are heading towards $300,000, yet physicians have seen essentially no pay increase. Everybody else is getting paid more, yet the melting ice cubes that I am getting are worth 50% less than they were two years ago.

If one factors in overtime pay and just a little bit of a productivity factor, an ICU nurse here in Las Vegas is making about half of what I make. I feel that I am worth eight times more what an ICU nurse should get, given the fact that my education took three times longer, I am way more productive and have way more responsibility and stress. Some general locum tenens positions for anesthesia are paying $400/hr an hour and I think that is about right.

Just for reference, one day last week I did seven robot General Surgery cases by 3 PM. No break no lunch, seven tap blocks, intubations, wake ups and all the charting. Mostly somewhat ill Medicaid patients. Then I had another ex lap and a urology case to follow that for nine cases by 6 PM. The next day I was supervising with three thoracic cases in one room and six orthopedic cases in the other.

Surgeons are working hard too and equally frustrated. Numerous hospitals have only intermittent General Surgery call and some have picked up some surgeons that I would not let operate on me to cover their after hours work. They are very hesitant to pay adequate call stipends to doctors, yet are fine paying traveling nurses $130 an hour.

My crystal ball is at the shop, undergoing repairs, but I don’t see how something significant isn’t going to change in the near future.

Someone told me that he makes 500K at Vegas and rarely supervises. I guess he lucked out?

Yep.

Cops, Nurses, Firemen all making $100k plus these days (and some at $150k-$200k). Meanwhile, no significant increases in Medicare/Medicaid in 20 years.

CRNA’s are in the $250k-$300k range. AMC’s can’t think Docs are going to continue working themselves to the bone, for $400k-$450k. Even at 2-3% inflation, most anesthesiologists should be at mid-$500’s, by now.

USAP talked with us 3-4 years ago. If we had taken their offer, we’d have been “locked in” at $400-$425k, right now, in order for them to be showing any “profit”. We’re currently having trouble finding folks at over $600k. At $400k, we’d have all quit by now and moved on.

If the AMC’s can’t get major increases in private pay insurance rates, or some major stipends (or the Govt doesn’t start throwing worthless paper dollars at Medicare, like they have everything else), then there’s gonna be some serious issues, soon.

Yep.

I think your location might be appealing to middle-aged married anesthesiologists who are looking to settle down rather than young couples or single docs. Cant really have a good dating life in a town of 200k (maybe not as great). Also, smaller towns tend to have less diversity, especially in the South.

For reference, North TX usually refers to the Dallas/Ft Worth area. If I had to guess what area they are talking about, I'm thinking something along the lines of Amarillo/Lubbock/Abilene. I'm in DFW now and I completely agree that there is no amount of money you could pay me to move to those areas. Especially being married with school aged kids. If I was single, it might be a different story
I would think the opposite. If one was single, they would want to be in the melting pot where they can meet people. DFW, Houston, Austin, and SATX are the main locations for those purposes.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep.

This sounds amazing. I moved all the way to the East Coast to a little town for 300k right after residency 10 years ago cuz I couldn’t get a license at the time in Texas without jumping through hoops. I don’t mind moving. If I wasn’t trying to go part time I would totally look at this. I move all the time.
And there is an actual Airport there too? Man where were you 7-8 years ago?

Last edited:

So why not practice what you preach and do locums? Or find a more lucrative job?

Someone told me that he makes 500K at Vegas and rarely supervises. I guess he lucked out?
How hard does he work? I mean things may have gone up like everywhere else but when I was there, pay was low and people who made a lot bust their assess. It’s the norm to bust your ass out there for decent money.

I think they mean way north. Close to Oklahoma and Arkansas. Do small or medium size towns not have access to private schools?
But clearly I much prefer smaller towns to megalopolis. Hate traffic, malls, museums, shopping and a bunch of people everywhere. I like gardening and goats and scenery of nature. Not of a bunch of buildings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How hard does he work? I mean things may have gone up like everywhere else but when I was there, pay was low and people who made a lot bust their assess. It’s the norm to bust your ass out there for decent money.

I am not sure.
But according to him, he rarely takes calls, rarely supervises. He doesn’t strike me as someone who would work super hard either. He’s looking to move somewhere for pretty much a surgery center job.