General Admissions & OTCAS USC 2018 Summer Applicant Pool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdom94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just thought it would be nice to have a forum for everyone who has applied for USC's 2018 program. Has anyone received their USC ID yet? And does anyone know if interviews will be conducted, and if so, when? Finally, any idea of when decision letters will go out? Lots of questions, sorry! Just full of anxiety and impatience after hitting "submit."

Members don't see this ad.

Hi from the CSUDH thread! :p

I only submitted yesterday, so I haven't received anything.

I think the previous years' pattern will be different, since it looks like this is the first year that the application is due in November. Previously, I think this was the early admission date, with the regular admission being in February, and it was on a rolling admission basis.

Reactions: 1 user
I received my ID about 3 days after I submitted my app! and I'm pretty sure they don't do interviews. I read that decisions will go out in February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Yea I read February as well. Boy, these programs don’t give you much time between decision letters and start dates do they lol
Does anyone know the average stats of accepted applicants?

Hi from the CSUDH thread! :p

I only submitted yesterday, so I haven't received anything.

I think the previous years' pattern will be different, since it looks like this is the first year that the application is due in November. Previously, I think this was the early admission date, with the regular admission being in February, and it was on a rolling admission basis.
Have your Transcripts been processed/gpa calculated? I waited until the last minute so I’m trying to guess the turn around time after they’ve been received...

Have your Transcripts been processed/gpa calculated? I waited until the last minute so I’m trying to guess the turn around time after they’ve been received...
My transcripts have been received (I requested it around Nov 20th, I also did it last minute) but the GPA hasn't been calculated. The OTCAS website says it takes 2-4 weeks to calculate the GPA, and we'll get an email saying it went through. I imagine that's 2-4 weeks after the transcripts have been received, so it'll be some time!

My transcripts have been received (I requested it around Nov 20th, I also did it last minute) but the GPA hasn't been calculated. The OTCAS website says it takes 2-4 weeks to calculate the GPA, and we'll get an email saying it went through. I imagine that's 2-4 weeks after the transcripts have been received, so it'll be some time!
Damn. I was hoping that the 2-4 weeks was an over estimation—plus that’s a large time span. Well I guess we’ll see what happens then. Thanks! Good luck and hope to hear good news for both of us!

Damn. I was hoping that the 2-4 weeks was an over estimation—plus that’s a large time span. Well I guess we’ll see what happens then. Thanks! Good luck and hope to hear good news for both of us!

Hi!
Did OTCAS email you saying that your transcripts were received & processed? (I think if they're processed it shouldn't take 2-4 wks) Also, my GPA was calculated after I submitted my application and after they verified my coursework against the transcripts (which was done the day after I submitted)!

Hi!
Did OTCAS email you saying that your transcripts were received & processed? (I think if they're processed it shouldn't take 2-4 wks) Also, my GPA was calculated after I submitted my application and after they verified my coursework against the transcripts (which was done the day after I submitted)!
For me, it only says it was received, not processed. Under Check Status, it says arrived.

Have you all taken the Medical Terminology prereq? I figured I'd take it after hearing back. Just wondering if you know of good websites (and affordable prices) to take it at.

For me, it only says it was received, not processed. Under Check Status, it says arrived.

Have you all taken the Medical Terminology prereq? I figured I'd take it after hearing back. Just wondering if you know of good websites (and affordable prices) to take it at.
I️ took an online med terminology class from UCSD extension

I took mine online through Cerritos College. Everything was online with the exception of one info meeting & the 1st lecture which were wrapped up into one meeting.
I think you should register for a spring class because I don’t think you’ll be able to complete the course if you wait until after decisions are sent out.

Hi!
I’ve received an email that my transcripts were received but not one that they have been approved and processed. All of my entered grades still say unverified.

Hi guys! Yea I read February as well. Boy, these programs don’t give you much time between decision letters and start dates do they lol
Does anyone know the average stats of accepted applicants?

I went to their info session and found out their average stats!
- GPA: 3.6
- GRE: 157 verbal, 154 quant, 4 writing

Also 120 students were accepted out of about 750 applicants!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to their info session and found out their average stats!
- GPA: 3.6
- GRE: 157 verbal, 154 quant, 4 writing

Also 120 students were accepted out of about 750 applicants!
Wow, that's a much lower acceptance rate than I thought (6.25%)!! Makes me worried that I rushed my application :( I had to cut down my personal statement last minute by a good 20% so it's not my best work, lol.

Btw @kdom94, I think I remember hearing of people taking the med terminology class after getting accepted. It looks like there's a few online that are at your own pace. I'm thinking of doing the one from BYU Independent Study, from seeing recommendations from this forum. My closest CCs don't seem to be offering it (I'm in West LA). I definitely appreciate the heads up, though, thanks for looking out!

Wow, that's a much lower acceptance rate than I thought (6.25%)!! Makes me worried that I rushed my application :( I had to cut down my personal statement last minute by a good 20% so it's not my best work, lol.

Btw @kdom94, I think I remember hearing of people taking the med terminology class after getting accepted. It looks like there's a few online that are at your own pace. I'm thinking of doing the one from BYU Independent Study, from seeing recommendations from this forum. My closest CCs don't seem to be offering it (I'm in West LA). I definitely appreciate the heads up, though, thanks for looking out!
The acceptance rate based off the numbers that @wannabe_ot provided is actually 16% so the chances are higher than the 6.25% that you calculated. But then again, not sure how many people applied this applicant pool, but as long as its less than 2,000 applicants (which it is) then the acceptance rate will be higher than 6%. USC offers the most spots in a CA OT program (possibly even the whole US), so I wouldn't worry about acceptance rate especially with your stats.

Reactions: 2 users
The acceptance rate based off the numbers that @wannabe_ot provided is actually 16% so the chances are higher than the 6.25% that you calculated. But then again, not sure how many people applied this applicant pool, but as long as its less than 2,000 applicants (which it is) then the acceptance rate will be higher than 6%. USC offers the most spots in a CA OT program (possibly even the whole US), so I wouldn't worry about acceptance rate especially with your stats.
Wow, you're totally right. I flipped the numbers around. :D Thanks for the correction. But, 16% is still definitely a competitive number!

Hi! I applied and got my USC ID. I also emailed and was told that they don't do interviews, and they'll start letting us know decisions in February. Seems like it's so far away! Best of luck everyone.

Ohhhh okay I wasn't aware that you were a allowed to take them after the start of the program. Cerritos College isn't too far from West LA if you wanted to look into that one. Its an at your pace online program as well and I believe I paid $180 for it, and it was super easy IMO. Just another option though!

Hi! I applied and got my USC ID. I also emailed and was told that they don't do interviews, and they'll start letting us know decisions in February. Seems like it's so far away! Best of luck everyone.
How long after submitting did you receive your ID?

Received the email saying coursework has been verified. I'm having trouble finding the calculated GPA though. Anyone know where I should be looking?

Received the email saying coursework has been verified. I'm having trouble finding the calculated GPA though. Anyone know where I should be looking?
I had the same problem! Go to "check status," download your application (the PDF), and when you scroll down to the end of "academic history" (mine was color coded in green), your calculated GPA should be there! Mine didn't show up for a couple of hours after I received that email. Hope this helps!

I had the same problem! Go to "check status," download your application (the PDF), and when you scroll down to the end of "academic history" (mine was color coded in green), your calculated GPA should be there! Mine didn't show up for a couple of hours after I received that email. Hope this helps!
Perfect, thanks! Made me nervous to see that all in one place lol

I just got my verified OTCAS GPA and it is a good deal lower than the GPA on my official transcripts. Has this happened to anyone else? I sent an email but does anyone have any suggestions of how I can correct this or why this might have happened? Thanks in advance!

I just got my verified OTCAS GPA and it is a good deal lower than the GPA on my official transcripts. Has this happened to anyone else? I sent an email but does anyone have any suggestions of how I can correct this or why this might have happened? Thanks in advance!
OTCAS GPA varies from GPA from your school because different colleges assign different points to letter grades. OTCAS calculates this to make grades between colleges more comparable. If your GPA is SUPER off, I think there is an email provided on the OTCAS FAQ page that you can contact to have checked :)

Mine dropped, but not that much, from 3.82 to 3.78.

Edit to add: it looks like my community college GPA dropped (from 3.82 to 3.76) but the school I received my bachelor's from didn't change (3.83). So it looks like that was averaged out to get the 3.78. Also, I had many more credits from the CC since I went there for 5 yrs vs 2 yrs at the UC.

Last edited:
Mine dropped, but not that much, from 3.82 to 3.78.

Edit to add: it looks like my community college GPA dropped (from 3.82 to 3.76) but the school I received my bachelor's from didn't change (3.83). So it looks like that was averaged out to get the 3.78. Also, I had many more credits from the CC since I went there for 5 yrs vs 2 yrs at the UC.

Do you know if it's their policy to include both grades of a repeated course? I believe thats what happened with my GPA and was wondering if thats standard or an error on my part while entering in transcripts on the app.

Do you know if it's their policy to include both grades of a repeated course? I believe thats what happened with my GPA and was wondering if thats standard or an error on my part while entering in transcripts on the app.
No, I don't know what their policy is. Did your transcript include both grades for their calculated GPA?

So USC is basically turn in your app and wait till feb? Also what is the deal with the USC ID? What can we do with an ID? The email instructions with an ID say just follow OTCAS.

Hi everyone! I received my acceptance yesterday. Best of luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 3 users
wannabe_ot, when did you submit your application?? I thought that we wouldn't hear back until February as well!

Congratulations though!

Hi everyone! I received my acceptance yesterday. Best of luck to everyone else!
Congrats!! Just curious, did you receive it via email or mail? Also if you don't mind sharing your stats :)

Hi everyone!

I also received my admission letter on Dec. 22nd. The admissions office is on winter break until January 2nd but I'm sure a big round of admission letters will be sent out in January. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Hi everyone!

I also received my admission letter on Dec. 22nd. The admissions office is on winter break until January 2nd but I'm sure a big round of admission letters will be sent out in January. Best of luck to everyone! :)
Yay! Will you be attending?

Congrats wannabe_ot and cabihaha, and happy new year to all!! Just wondering did you guys receive acceptance emails later too and/or did your youSC portals change?
I received an email from the admissions director!

Yay! Will you be attending?
I just heard back from SJSU which was my top school so I will be attending SJSU. Just need to knock out my neuroscience requirement :) what about you?

Congrats wannabe_ot and cabihaha, and happy new year to all!! Just wondering did you guys receive acceptance emails later too and/or did your youSC portals change?
I received an email from admissions and my youSC portal change shortly after!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the people who got in stats?

If you don't mind me asking, what was the people who got in stats?

University: University of California, Santa Barbara
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 159 V, 154 Q, 4.5 W
Volunteer: Inpatient rehab hospital (80 hrs), support group for stroke survivors (60 hrs), private pediatric therapy clinic (75 hours), junior wheel chair sports camp (80 hrs), scribe/outreach for park based medical clinic (80 hours), hippotherapy volunteer (20 hours), 1:1 caregiver for a boy on the autism spectrum (100 hours)
Acceptances: USC, SJSU, UIC
Rejections: None
Waiting: CSU, St. Augustine, Boston University

This is my second time applying to OT school and I can honestly say I did not change much besides the fact that my personal statement and supplemental essays were much better this time around. I worked tirelessly on making my personal statement personal, digging deep on who I am and what specifically makes me a good candidate to become an OT. I also did thorough research on each school and tailored my supplemental essays to whichever interests we had in common. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Major: Psychology
Minors: Education; Community Engagement
OTCAS GPA: 3.61
Prereq GPA: 3.9-4.0
Shadowing: peds clinic (115), nonprofit peds clinic (50), skilled nursing facility (35)
Volunteer/internship: special needs karate program (200), school for visually impaired (40), boys and girls club (20), elderly home (15), nonprofit peds clinic (50)
Work experience: special needs summer camp counselor (3 years), therapy aide (since this summer)
Extracurricular: Pre-OT Club founder/president (3 yrs), research assistant for two labs (3 yrs total), community service fraternity, powerlifting team member
LOR: volunteer coordinator, research professor, and OT at internship
Applied: SJSU, USC, Stanbridge
Accepted: SJSU, USC
Interviews: Stanbridge (declined)

Has anyone else heard back at all?

Last edited:
Just wanted to share this because it might shed light on the admissions process. After receiving my acceptance, I was given two weeks to make my decision.

I imagine that they are accepting people in waves, almost like a rolling admission process. I ended up declining my spot, and I’m sure other spots are being freed up as we speak.

At the last info session I attended, they said you will receive your decision by the end of February, as described by @kdom94.

I wish you all the best of luck! And please try not to worry too much about it. You did the hard work with the application. All that’s left to do is wait just a little bit longer!

Reactions: 1 users
Omg I'm so stressed! lol my friend just got her acceptance letter for the PT program so I hope that means they'll be sending out all decision letters soon!!

@kdom94 I feel you!!!! I also can't believe that it is almost February. Hopefully we will all receive good news!