USC cardiovascular fellowship to be stripped of national accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakoy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always thought that USC had a great reputation, so this surprising to me! So, the article mention the current fellows can finish!

What’s going to happen to the newly matched fellows? Are they considered orphans and take this funding to another cards fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard the 2nd/3rd year fellows will be allowed to continue, but I don't know with certainty. Here is a link to the petition for suspension of this guy, if all is true this is pretty horrific. Rape / sexual assault allowed to continue due to nepotism perhaps? I have heard this places other residencies at USC at risk of / on suspension as well?

Petition

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard the 2nd/3rd year fellows will be allowed to continue, but I don't know with certainty. Here is a link to the petition for suspension of this guy, if all is true this is pretty horrific. Rape / sexual assault allowed to continue due to nepotism perhaps? I have heard this places other residencies at USC at risk of / on suspension as well?

Petition

If half of this is true, shame on USC. Definitely nepotism that got him there, but sounds like the institutional culture is what allowed him to stick around and land a competitive EP spot at UCLA, where it sounds like the complaints continued and weren't addressed. The description of him pulling a resident into a call room and sexually assaulting her is jarring. I hope this predator never touches another patient.

Does anyone else find their statement that they will hopefully have a new program approved "before the prior one is shut down" presumptuous and disgusting? It reflects a real lack of appreciation for the seriousness of the situation and how far reaching the deficiencies are. How about looking into who was responsible for allowing this to happen and firing their ass first? I suspect it is more than just one or two people involved in covering this up. Clean house.

We are so vulnerable and the further along we get into training the more leverage they have. I suspect the new fellows that you express concern for might be better off redistributed to a place where they will be treated with fairness and dignity rather than unbridled sexual predation by the program director's half-brother.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user