USC class size

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batzmaru

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
according to one of the USC posts, the class is about half full. What about other schools? Shouldn't the classes be almost full by now at most schools? If I had an interview at USC already should I keep my hopes up and wait? I made my initial deposit at NYU already but I rather pay the same tuition and stay here in sunny so.cali!!

thanks for any replies.....

Members don't see this ad.

USC is extremely behind. And when I say extremely, I mean extremely. Most Dental Schools have full deposits and are waitlisting and confirming their classes for fall. You're right...USC told us that their class was half full and that they would be filling their class all the way through the summer. They still have alot of places to fill. They gave us this crap about ranking interviewees on a scale and comparing everyone together. Check back with Eva on your status and I wish you the best.

Batzmaru,

You should consider carefully before making a decision to go to USC. PBL is surely not for everyone, and the sc student I talked to at lunch told me that close to half of her classmates don't like the PBL program, but it was too late to turn back. Like you, I'm also a cali resident and wish to stay here as well, heck, I am also going to NYC for dental school. It's cheaper for me to go to dental school in NYC then to go to USC and commute. BUt then again, PBL program may be suitable for you, and should that be the case, you would be better off going there. At any rate, best luck with your decision.

I was shocked at first to hear about USC's class being half full, but then come to think of it, those 70+ souls are well aware of the PBL program and have decided that is what is suitable for them. Personally, my own perspective is that you're paying for the lifestyle there, the kicked back schedule and having to do research on yourself just to be able to share with your group when you don't even know if that will be tested or not. In addition, the no lec and no topics covered on the exam allows for a broad range of questions to be asked on the exam. Personally, I would rather be taught and told what to be covered on the exam then to study directionlessly.

NSXDent

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would rather be taught and told what to be covered on the exam then to study directionlessly.

FYI, the testing schedule (not the boards) at SC is in three parts (they call it triple jump). In one section students are given a PBL case like they recieve every week except it is to be done individually, and they have 24 hours to research it, and then present it. A second part would be clinical and depends what the student is learning in lab at the time. The third part is a standard type test that follows a format similar to the board tests. Students are given a list of what will be covered on the test, and they are able to study appropriately for it. It is not directionless, but indeed is very specific.

Originally posted by booshwa
FYI, the testing schedule (not the boards) at SC is in three parts (they call it triple jump). In one section students are given a PBL case like they recieve every week except it is to be done individually, and they have 24 hours to research it, and then present it. A second part would be clinical and depends what the student is learning in lab at the time. The third part is a standard type test that follows a format similar to the board tests. Students are given a list of what will be covered on the test, and they are able to study appropriately for it. It is not directionless, but indeed is very specific.

This is fairly inaccurate....Testing goes more like this:
Test 1 = Triple Jump - We are each given a case and have less than 24 hours (more like 18, 19) not to "solve" necessarily, but to understand and make a differential diagnosis ("tunnel vision" is not praised in PBL)

Test 2 = Multiple Choice test - Roughly 200 questions, many taken from old board exams, most pertaining to the material we covered in the cases (about 97%), ususally focusing on the bigger, main topics, and we are NOT given a list of what to study.

Test 3 = computer test - roughly 100 questions one a computer screen that are visual images that we have to recognize the structures they are pointing to, answer questions about the image, etc

Test 4 - ? = Clincial exam...depends on what we are covering at the time...last set of midterms, we had one clinical exam....this round of finals, we only have 1.

PS: I think some of you guys on here are being a little bit harsh with USC. Don't knock it till you try it. I love PBL, I am learning A LOT, doing well, and I have few complaints. I know it is not perfect or for everyone, but don't scare away the people who are interested. Every school has its problems, and students complain at every school, but USC in particular is in the limelight because it is a revolutionary program. just my thoughts!

Good luck to everyone accepted and in the waiting process!! :clap:

this question is to anyone who has interviewed at usc. how long did it take for usc to reply on your acceptance to the school.

It took almost four months for me to get my acceptance at USC. I had already received my acceptance to UOP (in ten days) though, so my spot is open at USC.

PBL looked like it might be fun and definitely a good break from traditional lectures (zzzzzzzz). Don't be scared off by PBL but think hard about it before you decide if you can handle it.

Good Luck,

CA
UOP 2006

I interviewed in October and was accepted on Dec. 2...but it must have been an error on their part because for everyone else it took several months. ;)

Here's a question...why do you think I would get accepted immediately to USC and not even get invited to UOP, or anywhere else for that matter? Kind of bothers me, although I'm glad that at least I got in somewhere.

Speaking from personal experience and those that I know, USC is pretty easy to get in. I am in Canada and many of my friends who applied to USC all got in. I applied this year but didn't feel like paying their outrageous application fee. However, even without payment they kept sending me stuff and even invited me for an interview. This seems to me that they're a little desperate for students. PBL is used in a few schools in Canada, so I do not know why it's such a big deal for USC. If people are not scared away by PBL, they're probably put off by the astronomical tuition. I felt sick when I read it, especially when it's not an Ivy league school or anything, has just so-so reputation nowadays, but is charging a king's ransom for its students.

just my 2 cents..your mileage may vary

I just heard a nasty rumor that USC has finished interviewing, as of now, last friday (although perhaps additional interviews may be scheduled in the future). Anybody besides me still haven't heard one way or another from them?

Perc-

Perc,
I have not heard from them either. I have no idea what my file is doing? I applied back in July, but they put my file on hold until I retook the dats. I did this back in feb, and still have not heard from them. If the class is only 1/2 full, I do not think they are done interviewing. The big private schools are interviewing till Mid May I believe.

Percocet,
I just got an email from USC and they said there is only one more interview date open in may.
Also, they said I will recieve a letter about my status sometime soon or as late as this summer!! If it's a rejection letter, I don't see why it would take them so long to send it?? I mean seriously--the summer????
:rolleyes:

Hey Beagle-

I am beginning to think that USC is starting to believe that they are too cool to get things done in a timely manner, and that everyone will just drop all that they are doing if they get an invite or acceptance to USC! Perhaps there is a small problem with hubris amongst the admit committee. Anyhow, if I get an invite or not, now I am not so sure I would even want to go, considering how much disdain they appear to have for their applicants. I have been waiting for a very long time to hear from them, and you would have thought I would have gotten a thanks, no thanks, or kiss my a$$ letter by now-but the SUMMER? Anyhow, I guess that I am just letting off a little steam, and maybe I will feel differently later. But I am still in some serious shock and awe about their actions right now. Hope you hear something soon from them also. Let me know what happens.

Perc-

Hey Perc,
They have 1700 applicants, but A LOT of other private dental schools have way more than 1700 applicants and are done with interviews, have sent all their letters, etc.
I agree with you--if I were to recieve an interview, I would not attend. I'm pretty sure the interview would be for a waitlist and I hear USC has about a billion people on the waitlist.
Just forget USC for now and I am sure you will get into a school this year, just be patient.
I sent you a PM
BEAGLE ;)

From what I've heard during the interview, normally USC interviews about 450~500 applicants each year. I know that they've interviewed 7 or 8 times last year (from October to December). This means they've interviewed roughly 220 applicants (25~30 interviewees each time) last year alone. This year alone, I'm not very sure, but I'm guessing they've interviewed at least 4-5 times. This means close to 400 applicants so far. So, I think they'll probably have a couple more interviews.

Those of you who interviewed early but still yet to hear from them, don't worry too much. Eva told me that USC tends to do the bulk of its acceptances in the Spring, between March and July. And I heard people getting acceptances in May and even in June and July. Hope this info helped.

hey,
I've heard from a friend who recently got an interview from USC but declined, that one of the committee on the admission panel quit. So they are really short on hands. Thats why lots apps are piled up til now.

Hi everyone,

I was just wonderring how many people here placed the initial $500 deposit for USC but are not planning to submit the next one due May 1st? Or if you know of anyone who is planning on not doing so.

I've been placed on the waitlist, (with all other applicants who interviewed), and I just want to try to guess at the # of spots that will be opening up as of May 1st.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone might have.

--Lilly :)

has anyone been accepted to usc that has interviewed in the month of april....

Percocet,
I found out that the reason they don't send rejections out until the summer is because they have rolling admissions.
Thus, they continue reviewing and accepting people through the summer. Also, the class is 3/4 full so they still have some spaces left, but they still have more interviewees' files to review for acceptance. You may still have a chance for an interview there.
I don't see why they would not want someone with your good stats! If I were you, I would send them a letter to remind them that you are still alive. That may get them rolling on your file.

i was wondering if anyone has been accepted this entire month of april. do u think they are waiting til after may 1 deposits to determine how many spots are available..

My friend got into USC a few days ago. She found out via email.
She interviewed either the first week of April or the last week of March...

this is my first post on sdn, but man, i wish i knew about this place when i was applying, preparing for DATs, and heading off for interviews. what a great resource.

anyhow, thought i'd share my info about the usc class of 2007. i interviewed 4/4 and was told that 4/11 would be the last day of interviews (dunno if that was the case). back then they told us that there were 60/144 spots in the class available. the next admissions committee meeting was scheduled to be held 4/18. i was offered acceptance 4/23 via email. so for those of you still waiting, i believe there is still a chance for you all. and as mentioned by others, usc does have a rolling admission where they continue to fill their classes up until the first week of class.

keep yor heads up kids...