USC DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bleach Tastes OK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow comrades,

I recently got accepted into USC DPT program and others as well. I express a strong interest in staying California, and USC is apparently the only choice that I have. However, the school's tuition is gargantuous! I was wondering if anyone would give me some insight whether the quality of education that you receive is worth my 2 kidneys & liver?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users

I recently got accepted into USC DPT program and others as well. I express a strong interest in staying California, and USC is apparently the only choice that I have. However, the school's tuition is gargantuous! I was wondering if anyone would give me some insight whether the quality of education that you receive is worth my 2 kidneys & liver?

Hi! I'm in a similar situation and was hoping that people would have responded to this post by now. I just went to the USC open house; did you? If you did, did attending give you any clarity on your decision?

I was accepted but declined my offer. The program to me seemed nice with fancy equipment, but nothing unique about the program stood out to me and proved it was worth close to 170k...a plus is the program incorporates a lot of clinical opportunities throughout the 3 years though, so you’ll get a lot of experience under your belt if that’s a huge deciding factor for you and there seems to be a lot of community service opportunities available.

But the professor I spoke with told me at most the scholarships offered are around 10k-12k, which I think is kinda ridiculous considering how much money USC acquires every academic year. Oh and the dpt students aren’t able to work with the Trojan athletes, which I thought would a cool bonus for going there. And for my own personal interests I didn’t like that there werent any pediatric classes incorporated in the curriculum, though the professor mentioned the peds info is sprinkled throughout the program, it wasn’t enough for me.

This is just my take on visiting USC, hope it helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted but declined my offer. The program to me seemed nice with fancy equipment, but nothing unique about the program stood out to me and proved it was worth close to 170k...a plus is the program incorporates a lot of clinical opportunities throughout the 3 years though, so you’ll get a lot of experience under your belt if that’s a huge deciding factor for you and there seems to be a lot of community service opportunities available.

But the professor I spoke with told me at most the scholarships offered are around 10k-12k, which I think is kinda ridiculous considering how much money USC acquires every academic year. Oh and the dpt students aren’t able to work with the Trojan athletes, which I thought would a cool bonus for going there. And for my own personal interests I didn’t like that there werent any pediatric classes incorporated in the curriculum, though the professor mentioned the peds info is sprinkled throughout the program, it wasn’t enough for me.

Very helpful, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone give me a better understanding of how clinical rotations are set up at USC? I see that they are mostly at the end, from the website, but does anyone know what opportunities there are to go out of state or set up new contracts at other facilities? Are there opportunities to go abroad for a volunteer program? If you attend the program, do you feel prepared for licensure and practice based on your clinical and didactic experiences? My concern is that the clinical education is too back-loaded at the end of the program, but current students or people who were able to attend an open house may have a better understanding.

Anyone else still waiting to hear from USC?

Anyone else still waiting to hear from USC?

Haven't heard anything yet! My friend just got accepted a couple weeks ago, but I'm pretty sure she applied early.

The deadline for the first round of accepted applicants just passed on Monday, so they should be sending out more acceptances once they determine how many spots are left :)

I contacted admissions and they said they hope to have all admissions decisions sent out by end of February/early March... which is pretty late in the admissions cycle!

Can anyone give me a better understanding of how clinical rotations are set up at USC? I see that they are mostly at the end, from the website, but does anyone know what opportunities there are to go out of state or set up new contracts at other facilities? Are there opportunities to go abroad for a volunteer program? If you attend the program, do you feel prepared for licensure and practice based on your clinical and didactic experiences? My concern is that the clinical education is too back-loaded at the end of the program, but current students or people who were able to attend an open house may have a better understanding.

I graduate from USC DPT in May so I'll be able to answer these questions for you.

Rotations vary in length. For my year, we had 3 two-week, 2 six-week, and 2 sixteen-week clinical rotation. First rotation is semester 2/8 (spring) and it is the 2-week. Each summer we ha the 6-week rotation. Starting with the class that just entered (Class of 2020).. I believe they merged the 2-week and 6-week and those are now 8-week rotations.

You created a wish list of your top 10 choices based on USCs offered/available sites, however you are able to list out of state addresses or places you'd like to go and if they can find a site with the setting you requested/near your location then it will work out!
For instance, Ive done a rotation in these cities:
Dallas, TX
San Diego, CA
Los Angeles, CA (various cities Santa Monica, Pasadena, Culver City, etc)
Philadelphia, PA

There are opportunities for PT service abroad. There is a weekend trip to Ensenada, Mexico to serve at Gabriel House (any DPT year can apply) and Costa Rica for one week (DPT II/IIIs can apply). I took part in the Costa Rica trip in May 2017; let me know if you have any questions regarding it.

I would have to highly disagree about back-loaded clinical experiences (unless things are changing for incoming students, I'm not sure as I haven't look at the website). I feel we have gotten exposed to clinical rotation very early compared to many other programs that do wait until the end. I started Fall 2015 and my first clinical experience was Spring 2016! Also, USC offers about an entire year of full time clinical experience.. another plus.

I think I answered your questions in order, hopefully I didn't miss any but feel free to reach out if you have anymore questions/concerns.

Haven't heard anything yet! My friend just got accepted a couple weeks ago, but I'm pretty sure she applied early.

They send first round of decisions in December and then I believe two more rounds, late Jan and early Feb.

Keep hope alive if any of you are still waiting. There are a good number of my classmates that got accepted mid-February! Good luck :)

I definitely understand the tuition is daunting! That was hard pill to swallow when I commited however am about to graduate so I felt the need to clarify a few things. To your point about working with the athletes? I'm not sure many DPT programs get that chance.. many programs are located on medical campuses and not the main campus so that wouldn't be very feasible. Also anytime you are "working" as a student, you are under another physical therapist's license. Imagine every student in the program treating an athlete.. that's a lot of licenses on the line! Also to your pediatric concern, I also understand where you're coming from. I am interested in Peds and while some programs have an entire class dedicated to it.. USC has a lifespan course during the spring semester that is 80% peds. It is also sprinkled through, as that professor mentioned. I would lend my unsolicited advice to you and say don't let that sway your decision for other programs as you are able to tailor your clinical experiences! Out of my 52 weeks of clinical rotations.. half have been pediatrics. We have tons of students at top hospitals around the country (Boston Children's, Cincinnati Children's Sports, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (guilty, this one is me currently!), Texas Children's and Children's Hospital of LA (obviously).

I hope whichever school you end up choosing fits your clinical rotation and curriculum expectations! And let's not forget the chance to treat the kiddos! Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)

In short.. I wouldn't change my experience at USC DPT for anything. Even IF my two kidneys and liver are currently being sold on the black market... JUST KIDDING. I answered a few other questions on this thread. You're welcome to take a look at those and let me know if you have any other questions/concerns!

I graduate from USC DPT in May so I'll be able to answer these questions for you.

Rotations vary in length. For my year, we had 3 two-week, 2 six-week, and 2 sixteen-week clinical rotation. First rotation is semester 2/8 (spring) and it is the 2-week. Each summer we ha the 6-week rotation. Starting with the class that just entered (Class of 2020).. I believe they merged the 2-week and 6-week and those are now 8-week rotations.

You created a wish list of your top 10 choices based on USCs offered/available sites, however you are able to list out of state addresses or places you'd like to go and if they can find a site with the setting you requested/near your location then it will work out!
For instance, Ive done a rotation in these cities:
Dallas, TX
San Diego, CA
Los Angeles, CA (various cities Santa Monica, Pasadena, Culver City, etc)
Philadelphia, PA

There are opportunities for PT service abroad. There is a weekend trip to Ensenada, Mexico to serve at Gabriel House (any DPT year can apply) and Costa Rica for one week (DPT II/IIIs can apply). I took part in the Costa Rica trip in May 2017; let me know if you have any questions regarding it.

I would have to highly disagree about back-loaded clinical experiences (unless things are changing for incoming students, I'm not sure as I haven't look at the website). I feel we have gotten exposed to clinical rotation very early compared to many other programs that do wait until the end. I started Fall 2015 and my first clinical experience was Spring 2016! Also, USC offers about an entire year of full time clinical experience.. another plus.

I think I answered your questions in order, hopefully I didn't miss any but feel free to reach out if you have anymore questions/concerns.

Thank you for your insight! How have you liked the didactic portion? My understanding is USC is lecture-based (as opposed to problem-based learning). While I'm more familiar with traditional lecture style, I'm intrigued by PBL bc of how it mirrors the clinic environment and how it facilitates memory retention, etc and I'm choosing between USC and another school that utilizes PBL. Do you feel that you retain the information you need to throughout the program? What made you choose this school with this learning style over another? My other thought is that the other school I've been offered admission at starts earlier, which would put me in a full-time job faster.

For clinical rotations, are there certain requirements you need to fill? I love that there are a lot of peds opportunities, since I am also interested in peds (and possibly a few other things like neuro or prosthetics) but I'm also trying to keep my mind open for the direction I want to go. Do you find that USC has mentorship or career guidance for those of us that don't have a clear idea yet of where we want to practice? Are faculty available to students if they are struggling with classes? Or are there other resources available for this? Do people often go elsewhere after they graduate or do many stay in LA/California?

What is the program culture like? To you find yourselves helping each other out? I hear that the competitive part is getting in but once you're in it's more like a family?

Thank you again for answering our questions here! It's been really helpful.

I put my first deposit for USC DPT (Class of 2021).
How is living situation in LA?
Is housing more expensive around USC campus or other LA areas?

I heard that they will be sending out decisions through end of Feb/early March. Hopefully we hear back soon.

I have been trying to look into this as well! The area right around the health science campus is not too great and I am a bit worried about commuting in since traffic in LA is horrible.

Thank you for your insight! How have you liked the didactic portion? My understanding is USC is lecture-based (as opposed to problem-based learning). While I'm more familiar with traditional lecture style, I'm intrigued by PBL bc of how it mirrors the clinic environment and how it facilitates memory retention, etc and I'm choosing between USC and another school that utilizes PBL. Do you feel that you retain the information you need to throughout the program? What made you choose this school with this learning style over another? My other thought is that the other school I've been offered admission at starts earlier, which would put me in a full-time job faster.

For clinical rotations, are there certain requirements you need to fill? I love that there are a lot of peds opportunities, since I am also interested in peds (and possibly a few other things like neuro or prosthetics) but I'm also trying to keep my mind open for the direction I want to go. Do you find that USC has mentorship or career guidance for those of us that don't have a clear idea yet of where we want to practice? Are faculty available to students if they are struggling with classes? Or are there other resources available for this? Do people often go elsewhere after they graduate or do many stay in LA/California?

What is the program culture like? To you find yourselves helping each other out? I hear that the competitive part is getting in but once you're in it's more like a family?

Thank you again for answering our questions here! It's been really helpful.

Lecture-based, sure. But we have a fair share of PBL with the given clinical scenarios in various courses and during our practicals. I feel the vast amount of clinical experience we get throughout the entire program (52 weeks) is something to note in comparison to others. I believe the curriculum is structured so that you are able to retain and apply the information throughout the next courses and/or your next clinical affiliation.

As for starting earlier.. if you’re on a timeline and want/need to start working quicker then that decision seems made on your end!

That’s awesome about peds. I’m actually in inpatient rehab right now which is a lot of neuro and orthotics. One recently discharged patient with a below knee amputation and prosthesis.

Believe me.. you may think you want to know what setting or population you are going to treat coming in but your experiences in different courses, the mentorship you seek through professors or older students in the program, and the various clinical rotations you can choose from may sway your decision! There’s no formal career guidance but that will be inherent at any DPT program. You are paired with a student in the year above as well as faculty mentor upon starting the program at USC. Much like undergrad, there are office hours and separate group tutoring sessions offered for free that you can participate in. The best part is is they WANT you to pass so they’ll do anything to solidify your understanding and comfortabity with the material.

As for after graduation, that’s a question I cannot answer fully. You have to consider who stays or moves states for residency, who goes back to their home state, etc. With the huge class size, I would say it’s probably 50/50; some people stay in LA or the OC.. but also realize a lot of people are local and have grown up there!

Lastly, the culture of the program. You have the people that are actively pursuing the academic scholarship each semester striving for the 4.0s (that’s their nature, usually not pompous about their intelligence) and then you have the rest that are in grad school to learn how to best treat their patients. You’ll find at any grad school the mindset is.. you’re here.. now here are the tools to be the best clinician.. not strictly a straight A student. You can be competitive and get all As but if you cannot hold a conversation or perform a treatment session efficiently and effectively then who actually cares about your grades?!

Family is correct. I’ve met some life long friends at USC. To give an unbiased opinion though, I am 100% sure you can find this mentality about grades, extra resources for succeeding and lifelong friends in many programs — I think that’s just an inherent quality of a DPT experience haha. I can only speak with confidence for USC in saying that others really do care about your success. I know for a fact if I didn’t attend this school I wouldn’t have had the same experiences abroad, in the community and at clinical rotations based on the platform USC has given me and the connections the DPT program has (think about it.. 95+ graduates a year makes for an extended alumni network)!

Good luck making your decision. I’m sure you will find the best fit for you and your circumstance :)

I have been trying to look into this as well! The area right around the health science campus is not too great and I am a bit worried about commuting in since traffic in LA is horrible.

Check out Pasadena or Highland Park for housing. Honestly you don’t hit real LA traffic living in/around those areas commuting to/from school. You’re in your own bubble. LA traffic should only be a concern if you decide to stay by the beach and commute an hour into school. I would highly advise against that.

Housing is expensive everywhere in LA.. within a block though you can have a $300-400/month difference in rent. Depends how much you want to pay and what amenities you need. Pasadena, Alhambra, San Gabriel and highland park are the main cities people lived in (in that order)

Lecture-based, sure. But we have a fair share of PBL with the given clinical scenarios in various courses and during our practicals. I feel the vast amount of clinical experience we get throughout the entire program (52 weeks) is something to note in comparison to others. I believe the curriculum is structured so that you are able to retain and apply the information throughout the next courses and/or your next clinical affiliation.

As for starting earlier.. if you’re on a timeline and want/need to start working quicker then that decision seems made on your end!

That’s awesome about peds. I’m actually in inpatient rehab right now which is a lot of neuro and orthotics. One recently discharged patient with a below knee amputation and prosthesis.

Believe me.. you may think you want to know what setting or population you are going to treat coming in but your experiences in different courses, the mentorship you seek through professors or older students in the program, and the various clinical rotations you can choose from may sway your decision! There’s no formal career guidance but that will be inherent at any DPT program. You are paired with a student in the year above as well as faculty mentor upon starting the program at USC. Much like undergrad, there are office hours and separate group tutoring sessions offered for free that you can participate in. The best part is is they WANT you to pass so they’ll do anything to solidify your understanding and comfortabity with the material.

As for after graduation, that’s a question I cannot answer fully. You have to consider who stays or moves states for residency, who goes back to their home state, etc. With the huge class size, I would say it’s probably 50/50; some people stay in LA or the OC.. but also realize a lot of people are local and have grown up there!

Lastly, the culture of the program. You have the people that are actively pursuing the academic scholarship each semester striving for the 4.0s (that’s their nature, usually not pompous about their intelligence) and then you have the rest that are in grad school to learn how to best treat their patients. You’ll find at any grad school the mindset is.. you’re here.. now here are the tools to be the best clinician.. not strictly a straight A student. You can be competitive and get all As but if you cannot hold a conversation or perform a treatment session efficiently and effectively then who actually cares about your grades?!

Family is correct. I’ve met some life long friends at USC. To give an unbiased opinion though, I am 100% sure you can find this mentality about grades, extra resources for succeeding and lifelong friends in many programs — I think that’s just an inherent quality of a DPT experience haha. I can only speak with confidence for USC in saying that others really do care about your success. I know for a fact if I didn’t attend this school I wouldn’t have had the same experiences abroad, in the community and at clinical rotations based on the platform USC has given me and the connections the DPT program has (think about it.. 95+ graduates a year makes for an extended alumni network)!

Good luck making your decision. I’m sure you will find the best fit for you and your circumstance :)

Hey there,

I've already submitted my first commitment deposit and still had a few things I was wondering about that visiting the program wasn't really able to answer and I was wondering if you could offer some insight.

One of the things I was considering as I made my decision was class size, as I was a bit hesitant on a program with a larger class size. PTs I've worked with have said that it can be easy to get lost in a large class size and other programs with smaller class sizes may offer more mentorship between the students and professor (which could lead to a more colleague-colleague relationship as opposed to strictly teacher-student). What are your thoughts on that with regards to what the classroom dynamic is at USC?

Another thing I was told while applying is that since USC has a large class size, they divide it up into 3 groups/cohorts and do rotations with them. Are those specifically for labs/lab practicals or is that something else completely?

One thing that drew me to USC though was the fact that they seem to have slightly more clinical experiences (I'm referring to the 3rd year), but in doing so with the one semester part-time clinicals, I assume that means the lecture material is mostly crammed into the first two years. Would you say that sounds about right and if so, is it still manageable to cover the same amount of material over slightly less time compared to other DPT programs?

I also read what you wrote previously about the PT service abroad trips. Could you tell me more about those? (Like how do they work, etc.)

I'm still most likely going to enroll at USC, but I just wanted to get a better idea of what's in store for me come August.

Any insight/thoughts you could give on any of these is very much appreciated.

Hey there,

I've already submitted my first commitment deposit and still had a few things I was wondering about that visiting the program wasn't really able to answer and I was wondering if you could offer some insight.

One of the things I was considering as I made my decision was class size, as I was a bit hesitant on a program with a larger class size. PTs I've worked with have said that it can be easy to get lost in a large class size and other programs with smaller class sizes may offer more mentorship between the students and professor (which could lead to a more colleague-colleague relationship as opposed to strictly teacher-student). What are your thoughts on that with regards to what the classroom dynamic is at USC?

Another thing I was told while applying is that since USC has a large class size, they divide it up into 3 groups/cohorts and do rotations with them. Are those specifically for labs/lab practicals or is that something else completely?

One thing that drew me to USC though was the fact that they seem to have slightly more clinical experiences (I'm referring to the 3rd year), but in doing so with the one semester part-time clinicals, I assume that means the lecture material is mostly crammed into the first two years. Would you say that sounds about right and if so, is it still manageable to cover the same amount of material over slightly less time compared to other DPT programs?

I also read what you wrote previously about the PT service abroad trips. Could you tell me more about those? (Like how do they work, etc.)

I'm still most likely going to enroll at USC, but I just wanted to get a better idea of what's in store for me come August.

Any insight/thoughts you could give on any of these is very much appreciated.

I’m not one to sugarcoat so if I’m super forward.. don’t mind it haha. I understand what others are telling you.. it’s easy to get lost anywhere in life if you don’t have the drive to succeed. If you do, you make those opportunities happen for yourself. You ask questions, you volunteer, you go to office hours if needed. If you’re quiet and need extra mentorship and do not speak up, that’s your own decision. I am sort of middle of the road in this sense.. I sought mentorship when needed but it wasn’t vital for my success in the program. With that being said, the class size is one of my favorite aspects! You have many personalities and backgrounds to learn from and grow with throughout your three years. Not to mention all the different body sizes and personal injuries you get practice with! I assure you all PT schools prides themselves on retention and the success of the their students so I don’t believe that should be a worry of yours! (Also certain courses have you split into 2 or 4 groups so it’s smaller class sizes for those).

Also not sure who told you about us being “divided” per say. We are definitely one cohort. Again, there are some classes where they split us into lab groups and we rotate rooms but we all get the same content on the same days.

Crammed sounds.. intense. USC has a full year of clinical experience (yay, drawing factor!). You start the first experience in second semester (not sure if that has changed now).. but that continues during the first two years. Year 3 you are integrated MWF in clinic and TTh in class and then the opposite semester you are 16 weeks in clinic only. I believe that it is spread pretty well and those clinical experiences always come at just the right time when you need s break from didactic material! Blunt statement, get ready - if you truly think you’re going to miss out by getting MORE clinical experience then you’ve got some big revelations coming. Your patients are never straight out of book.. hands down your clinical experiences will help you understand the course material because you have real life experience and can use clinical reasoning to answer questions in class. Never have I been asked a question in the clinic or educated a patient by strictly relaying “what the book says”. This isn’t a one size fits all profession.

Now we’re getting to the good stuff. Service trips! Haha, it’s quite a simple process.. if you’re interested you go to informational meetings, apply and hopefully get chosen. Generally first years apply to Ensenada, Mexico to work at Gabriel House with children for a weekend and the second years are able to apply to a week long trip to Costa Rica. I only participated in the Costa Rica trip and I would say it was hands down THE best student experience I have gotten. Challenges you to educate an underserved population with the little resources we could bring on the plane! Makes you grow as a student in that you have to be creative, compassionate, and learn how to educate and treat when there is a possible language barrier (unless you’re Spanish speaking).

Hopefully none of that was too jarring. I always say had I gone to any other school I don’t think I would’ve had the opportunities or the drive that I continue to have within this profession. Just my personal opinion. Feel free to let me know if you have anymore questions. Hope you end up at USC in August— maybe I’ll see you around!

As an LA native, I can say that the housing around USC will either be very expensive luxury apartments or very dirty, old, and still expensive (although less). If you want cheaper housing, you might have to move east and commute.

Even Koreatown, which is a 10-20 minute drive away, is no longer affordable. It's a very annoying situation. Your best bet is to find a moderately priced apartment and find an apartment mate or 2. Good luck!

@BAKE84
Tuition is indeed very daunting.
How much debt did you accrue in USC DPT?
If +150K, how many years will that take to pay that off with a PT salary (~60-70K)

no 170k is not worth it, USC does not give you an advantage in terms of making more money or having more opportunities than someone who went to say CSULB.

@BAKE84
Tuition is indeed very daunting.
How much debt did you accrue in USC DPT?
If +150K, how many years will that take to pay that off with a PT salary (~60-70K)

even if your salary is between 60 and 70k that's not the amount of money you actually take home in a given year. You have to factor in taxes (depending on where you live) plus other expenses. You also pay interest on the loan. If you can avoid it, do NOTTTT spend this much money on an education it is not worth it.

even if your salary is between 60 and 70k that's not the amount of money you actually take home in a given year. You have to factor in taxes (depending on where you live) plus other expenses. You also pay interest on the loan. If you can avoid it, do NOTTTT spend this much money on an education it is not worth it.

Yes, I am fully aware that the number is reduced due to taxes & other responsibilities, hence, perpetuating my point of viewing a 150K (+200K with interest) tuition daunting and unworthy.

Anyone know the trajectory of reimbursement of PT?
(I heard negative things...)