USC Interview is coming up!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acura-TL & Rx

Have faith in thy self!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
USC Interview is coming up. Those of you who will be there this Saturday, how are you guys doing with the preparation and everything else? I've been researching, reading up on current pharmacy issues.... Any other suggestions from current students? Good luck and see you out there this Saturday.

For those you who are waiting for your chance, don't worry about it. There are 3 or 4 more sessions to come. Good luck and FIGHT ON!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Acura-TL & Rx said:
USC Interview is coming up. Those of you who will be there this Saturday, how are you guys doing with the preparation and everything else? I've been researching, reading up on current pharmacy issues.... Any other suggestions from current students? Good luck and see you out there this Saturday.

For those you who are waiting for your chance, don't worry about it. There are 3 or 4 more sessions to come. Good luck and FIGHT ON!!!

I'm definitely excited. This'll be my first one, so I'll be all amped up. What time are you supposed to be there? Bright and early at 9:30 am for me. I wonder if it'll sound strange if I request that my interview day end by 12:30 so I can watch the USC vs. Cal game... :smuggrin:

Maybe it'll score me some bonus points?! :laugh:

Good luck to you all!

ive been trying to figure out a rough idea to all the possible questions they might ask, reading up on stuff as you are. i am sooo excited yet sooo nervous. anyone have any idea if they take an equal number of studnets from each interview or if they tend to take more from the first one? also, if you dont get accepted right away and are put on a waitlist, are you considered against all the people from each subsequent interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
glagic said:
ive been trying to figure out a rough idea to all the possible questions they might ask, reading up on stuff as you are. i am sooo excited yet sooo nervous. anyone have any idea if they take an equal number of studnets from each interview or if they tend to take more from the first one? also, if you dont get accepted right away and are put on a waitlist, are you considered against all the people from each subsequent interview?

I think they take fairly equal amounts of people from each group, though I'm not positive.

Knowing several people who did this process last year, it seems a lot of people are waitlisted right off the bat. Then, after all the students are interviewed, people begin to come off the waitlist, so it seems that the waitlisted students are compared to everyone as a whole. Hope this helps!

Acura-TL & Rx said:

My interview is at 9:00am, im getting excited but yet nervous at the same time.
I too have been researching current pharmacy issues, but do you really think they are gonna get specific with such a question? hmm..Well see you guys saturday and good luck!!

well last yr my interview was at 8am and i got there by 7:15 (i didn't know it only takes 15 to get to USC HSC from my house w/o traffic). it was great. a current student was already there so i had a nice conversation w/ her for a good 20 min before other students started coming. It really helped! tones the stress level down quite a bit. plus u can familiarize yourself with the place! oh just a reminder.. construction is going on in the front entrance so you'll have to enter the building fron the side doors.

:luck: :luck: GOOD LUCK! :luck: :luck:

I'm soOOOOooo nervous!!!! I can't believe its finally here!
Seems like you guys all have earlier times than me... mine's around 10am.

GOOD LUCK!!!

btw, what are you guys going to wear? I can't decide between pants or skirt??? :rolleyes:

When did you submit your supplemental application...
I'm still waiting to hear from USC. :cool:

Wow, this is exciting stuff. I am glad everyone is excited and yet nervous. We're human. We're supposed to be that way. As for the interview time, mine is at 11 am. I think that's the latest one. One bad thing about that is your answer might sound the same as the person before you. So I guess I really have to say something that will make me stand out compared to the rest.

As for the skirts or pants question, I definitely will be wearing pants since I am a guy and all. hahahaha.... Ladies I am sure you'll make a good impression wearing pants or skirts. This is your time to shine.

And it's good to always come early to your interview. You get to talk to some students and your fellow candidates. Like crazyrice610 mentioned, the front the school is doing a little construction. So we have to go through the side door. Don't worry. There'll be plenty of signs up.

To answer your question Baxter81, reading up on current pharmacy issues will only help you. They might ask what are the 3 issues in pharmacy world right now? And if you read it then you're good. Plus, you're gonna be a pharmacist one day. Reading up on pharmacy world is always a good thing. But make sure you read on all other stuffs too (keep yourself well rounded)

For those of you with the waitlist questions, I think you guys are right on it. But walk into the interview with your mind on acceptance letter. Keep focused on that. Let them worry about the waitlist.

Funnypharm, I submitted mine early August. It was completed around there.

Well hope that answered all the questions. Hope to see you guys out there and good luck to you all. Mine is at 11 but I am planning to be there early to talk to some of the students and faculties and of course my fellow classmates for Fall 2006. hahahha... sorry I have to keep myself thinking this way.

Good Luck and Fight on! Beat Cal!!!! hahahah....

good luck everyone! you can do it! =)

Acura-TL & Rx said:

Dang, I wish i could be there this saturday with you guys. Acura, Mr. Intricate, and the rest of you interviewees, I wish you all the best on your interviews. Take care.

thinkblue said:
Dang, I wish i could be there this saturday with you guys. Acura, Mr. Intricate, and the rest of you interviewees, I wish you all the best on your interviews. Take care.

Thanks. I'll keep you guys posted. I think I am going to go Crash at my friend's dorm at USC and just roll out of the bed and go to the interview. That way I don't have to deal with traffic on Saturday morning. Good luck to all!!!

Hey TL,

What time are you gonna be there? My appt. is at 11:40 and I don't know how early I should be. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ICA said:
Hey TL,

What time are you gonna be there? My appt. is at 11:40 and I don't know how early I should be. :)

I might just crash at my friend's dorm so I could be up early. I think I might be there around 9 or so and talk to students. But if there's nothing going on then I'll just head back to the dorm.

btw my appt is at 11:40 also

Acura-TL & Rx said:
Thanks. I'll keep you guys posted. I think I am going to go Crash at my friend's dorm at USC and just roll out of the bed and go to the interview. That way I don't have to deal with traffic on Saturday morning. Good luck to all!!!
Please forgive me. I'm from Nor. Cal. but...

THERE'S TRAFFIC ON SATURDAY??? :confused:

I'll be coming from my hotel in downtown LA. Mapquest says it's 7 minutes away. Maybe I should leave 1 hour before the interview?

ICA said:

I'll be coming from my hotel in downtown LA. Mapquest says it's 7 minutes away. Maybe I should leave 1 hour before the interview?

i stayed in downtown LA last time i went down south. do not go anywhere on 4th street at night bc it is the scariest thing ever!!! i thought i was gonna die downtown. if you are not familiar with the area, i recommend going early. when you go from the hotel to usc you should be just taking the inside road but it's always a good thing to get there earlier. g'luck with the interview!

ICA said:

there's always traffic here in LA :D I wouldn't say leave an hour early, but it can't hurt to be there on time. Check out the campus, visit with other interviewees and current pharmacy students.

Yeah, there shouldn't be any traffic on a sat. morning for you guys. But i'de still leave early anyway, you never know what can happen around here. Anyway, good luck to all of you, I wish I was greeting people for this interview but I'll have to wait till the next one. There is a 99.9% chance your interview will be with a great faculty member and you will have a good experience.

Any other questions about interviews or the school in general PM me or IM me.

what are the best resources to use when preparing for interviews? certain journals or magazines?

jky007 said:
what are the best resources to use when preparing for interviews? certain journals or magazines?
For me:

The current students,
Pharmacy Times,
Drug topics
SDN
Pharamacists

Hope that helps

I hate this...i can't go to sleep...my mind is going 100 miles per hour...i'm pretty nervous...

care324 said:
I hate this...i can't go to sleep...my mind is going 100 miles per hour...i'm pretty nervous...
hahaha... me too. I am having a little white wine and may be some benedryl later. I don't think that's good for me since it's a double sedatives. Oh well... my interview is not until 11:45... Good luck and try to get some rest.

care324 said:

Me tooo!!!! haha I think I can definitely use a drink after the interview...haha

Baxter81 said:
Me tooo!!!! haha I think I can definitely use a drink after the interview...haha
dang this benedryl is making me sleepy. and so the alcohol. hahaha...
i think everyone is feeling the same way.

omg... less than 12 hours left til my interview :eek:

i need a drink... like.. NOW.

kyt0871 said:
omg... less than 12 hours left til my interview :eek:

i need a drink... like.. NOW.

Don't worry, Jim will calm you all down once you're there. :)

My friends from USC still came and talked to me. They kinda calmed a down a lot. Thanks you guys. Thanks for all of those who pm and answered to the post. I'll see you guys out there tomorrow. Good luck and take care.

So for those of you guys who interviewed today, How did you think you guys did? What did you think of the whole process?

For me, I felt that I did ok in the interview, but it felt really rushed. The essay portion was easy, and I liked how they had students to answer our questions in the end..

Baxter81 said:
So for those of you guys who interviewed today, How did you think you guys did? What did you think of the whole process?

For me, I felt that I did ok in the interview, but it felt really rushed. The essay portion was easy, and I liked how they had students to answer our questions in the end..

Agreed overall Baxter. I also wish they had a formal discussion about financial aid with us, but other than that, I liked the day. The students are very friendly and really enthusiastic about the school, which definitely sold me. :thumbup:

As for the interview itself, it was alright. There were no really hard questions or anything along those lines, although I did hear someone say they were asked a question about Vioxx / FDA. My questions were mainly what you see on the interview feedback forum (tell me about yourself, + and - with pharmacy, where is pharmacy in the future, etc).

Baxter81 said:

I think I did ok... I do agree with you about the oral interview...i felt kinda rushed. The questions were pretty easy...all the questions I had expected...but I just wished I had a bit more time to elaborate. I don't know how to interpret the faculty member. He told me that it seemed like I was on top of everything and I seemed to be very prepared...but at the same time..he was cutting me off a lot while I was speaking. He was, however, VERY much interested in my research. I spent a lot of time talking about it. I didn't get too many questions because I spent a lot of time talking. Overall..it wasn't too hard. The students did a good job trying to calm everyone down because you know we were all nervous...or at least I was. But it really is true when they tell you that there is nothing to be nervous about. The interview was really chill..

As for the written portion...i did ok. I don't think I could consider myself as one of those "strong candidates" that will get an acceptance letter within a 4-6 weeks. But I sure wouldn't mind getting one.

Good luck to all of you!

USC School of Pharmacy,

Wow...it's an amazing experience. Although the interview was a little short but overall I think this is where I want to spend the next four years of my pharmacy education. I was there a little early but I got to talk to students as well as candidates. I think I am ready to be a part of the Trojan Family. Fight on!

Acura-TL & Rx said:
USC School of Pharmacy,

Wow...it's an amazing experience. Although the interview was a little short but overall I think this is where I want to spend the next four years of my pharmacy education. I was there a little early but I got to talk to students as well as candidates. I think I am ready to be a part of the Trojan Family. Fight on!
thats great to hear acura, did you go to a UC?

kevintech said:
thats great to hear acura, did you go to a UC?
Yeah... I went to USCD. You know what? I saw a lot of people from UCSD. I guess the Tritons are taking over hahahahah....

T_T

I didnt like the interview...... :(
The staff was mean... kept on probing deeper and deeper into my answers, tearing it apart infront of me until i had to give a desperate answer...

me go curl up in a ball and go to sleep now.

T_T

Acura-TL & Rx said:
USC School of Pharmacy,

True...the Trojan Family is really amazing. I know many people talk about the cost of going to USC..but dude..look at what you're getting back in return. Man...the more I think about it, the more I REALLY REALLY BADLY want to go to USC. Let's wait and see...

infernobutterfl said:
T_T

The staff was mean... kept on probing deeper and deeper into my answers, tearing it apart infront of me until i had to give a desperate answer...

T_T

It's ok dude. No sweat. I got accepted to USC last year but decided to go USN. I like the choice.

care324 said:
True...the Trojan Family is really amazing. I know many people talk about the cost of going to USC..but dude..look at what you're getting back in return. Man...the more I think about it, the more I REALLY REALLY BADLY want to go to USC. Let's wait and see...

The cost? hahaha... you know everywhere you go is expensive (except new mexico where tuition rate is dirt cheap for in state residence). But like you said, it's what you're getting out of USC that matters. I guess all we could do now is wait for another 3 to 4 weeks to find out. Dang... that's a long time to wait. Good luck to all of you.

infernobutterfl said:
T_T

T_T

who interviewed you?

What was your essay question about? Was it even pharmacy related?

Acura-TL & Rx said:
Yeah... I went to USCD. You know what? I saw a lot of people from UCSD. I guess the Tritons are taking over hahahahah....
Yeah, I've been told that the pharm program accepts mostly SC grads, UCLA, UCI then UCSD.

kevintech said:
Yeah, I've been told that the pharm program accepts mostly SC grads, UCLA, UCI then UCSD.

Ucla and UCI were the most last year by far. Then I think Bezerkeley and then UCSD. USC had a smaller amount than I would have thought.

is there a cap on the number of students theyll accept from each school? i go to uci and it would suck if they only a certain number of uci students. there were sooo many that were in my group at the interview, at least like 10 of the about 30-35 people

glagic said:
is there a cap on the number of students theyll accept from each school? i go to uci and it would suck if they only a certain number of uci students. there were sooo many that were in my group at the interview, at least like 10 of the about 30-35 people
I don't think that is the case. I am sure they don't really care where the students came from in terms of UCI or UCLA or UCSD. As long as you've met all the criteria to be a good candidate then they'll accept you. How did you do today?

Acura-TL & Rx said:
I don't think that is the case. I am sure they don't really care where the students came from in terms of UCI or UCLA or UCSD. As long as you've met all the criteria to be a good candidate then they'll accept you. How did you do today?

i dont really know...they didnt really ask me many questions from what i can recall. i was asked why pharmacy and what leadership positions ive had and then i guess it kinda of branched off from there. i talked about ochem for a little bit cuz my interviewing professor was an ochem prof at usc and i tutored ochem. he started quizzing me. he also asked me this random question about computers, which was kinda odd. i answered..but it was still interesting.

i am a little concerned about how jim (the admission guy) was saying that they only accept like 10-15 students from each interview, then the rest off the wait-list...i dont want to have to wait that long!!

howd you do? what time was your interview at btw? i was at the 10:20 one

glagic said:
i dont really know...they didnt really ask me many questions from what i can recall. i was asked why pharmacy and what leadership positions ive had and then i guess it kinda of branched off from there. i talked about ochem for a little bit cuz my interviewing professor was an ochem prof at usc and i tutored ochem. he started quizzing me. he also asked me this random question about computers, which was kinda odd. i answered..but it was still interesting.

i am a little concerned about how jim (the admission guy) was saying that they only accept like 10-15 students from each interview, then the rest off the wait-list...i dont want to have to wait that long!!

hey glagic - you sound really familiar. i think i may have been talking to you today because i was also at the 10:20 interview - LOL. that whole thing with the ochem question because your interview just happened to be an ochem prof? i remember that. are you, like, one of the two tall guys i was talking to by any chance? hahaha that's all i remember.

so anyway - here's my 2 cents about the interview: on the contrary, i felt like my interview was daym long. they asked me very little "generic" interview questions, but instead, did a lotta follow-up questions according to what my answers were. Overall, I think i did ok, but i really couldn't read the prof. interviewer's expressions to see whether or not she liked me. she was pretty business-like. on the hand, the pharm student seemed very positive, so that was cool :)

as for the essay - dude - it was a cinch. seriously. all you had to do was read a short paragraph and summarize it. i think i could have recited that whole paragraph from memory if they asked me to. although they did have some pretty funky rules though... on the note-taking part. very interesting...

but yea, i was nervous as hellz. no joke. true - the staff and students did try to calm eveyrone down, but it really didn't have any effect on me. i didn't finally start calming down until i talked for about 5 min. during the interview.... grrrr.....

but i must say that now that i know more about the program at usc, i most def want to go there. no doubt :p

glagic said:

Wow, good thing you know ochem. Well if you're gonna talk about something then I am sure you have something to back it up with.
Mine was at 11:40 am. We were the last group. But it was cool. I think I did not too bad on the interview. The essay part was ok but I hope I got the main point down (Apirin taker and non aspirin taker= associate with mortality rate after bypass surgery). I googled this article and I found it online. I think after reading the whole article from the online site, I think I got the main point down. But I could have done better on the essay portion. Oh well... I guess we'll find out in 2-4 weeks from now. Good luck...

Acura-TL & Rx said:
The essay part was ok but I hope I got the main point down (Apirin taker and non aspirin taker= associate with mortality rate after bypass surgery).

the sentence between the parentheses - are you saying that's the main point??..... i don't think so......

kyt0871 said:
the sentence between the parentheses - are you saying that's the main point??..... i don't think so......

For what it's worth, my friend last year didn't even finish the essay/summary and still got in. I think the only real purpose is to make sure your grammar / syntax is somewhat similar to what you wrote for your PS and supplementary material (though obviously not as good since you had a lot more time for them). Don't fret too much if you summarized it perfectly; I don't think that's the point.

kyt0871 said:
are you, like, one of the two tall guys i was talking to by any chance? hahaha that's all i remember.

lol. yeah that was me. who were you?