USC open house

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irnbru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got in email inviting me to attend an open house reception at USC and was wondering if anyone who applied there got the same email? I'm a little confused if this is just an open house or if its an actual interview following which decisions will be made about who to offer admission to? If anyone could clarify I would greatly appreciate it. The open house is on jan 22nd also if that helps

Thanks and good luck with apps and interviews everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got in email inviting me to attend an open house reception at USC and was wondering if anyone who applied there got the same email? I'm a little confused if this is just an open house or if its an actual interview following which decisions will be made about who to offer admission to? If anyone could clarify I would greatly appreciate it. The open house is on jan 22nd also if that helps

Thanks and good luck with apps and interviews everyone.
Nah Son! It's just an open house. I didn't apply to USC but an interview invitation will be explicitly stated wherever you applied to.

Nah Son! It's just an open house. I didn't apply to USC but an interview invitation will be explicitly stated wherever you applied to.

hmm alright then. I was just a bit confused because of how late it is (jan 22nd) and that in the email it says we will be split into small groups meet with individual faculty members

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that would be confusing then. That's weird.

I got the same invitation today. I talked to one of the PTs I work with and he said that USC doesn't interview.

Bummer because I got way too excited to hear from them - especially since I got an invitation for an interview somewhere else yesterday. Definitely jumped the gun.

I haven't decided if I am able to go yet but I think it's a good idea.

does a lack of an invitation to the Open House mean you're already rejected? :(

I already visited the campus and scheduled an appt to meet with one of the staff members there but never received an invite for the Open House and not sure if that reflect my application status that's under review..

I got an invite too~ I know that USC doesn't interview, but a friend of mine from undergrad was accepted to their program (decided to go elsewhere) and he said that I should definitely go because he felt that a big reason he was accepted was because he had a couple really good convos with faculty during the open house.

So I'm going! I'll do whatever it takes if it looks good in my app!

I think they mass-email it to everyone who applied. Cuz they dont start sending out acceptances until jan-march....

I would give them a call to see wat happened OR check ur spam...

Anyways, they def do not interview.

does a lack of an invitation to the Open House mean you're already rejected? :(

I already visited the campus and scheduled an appt to meet with one of the staff members there but never received an invite for the Open House and not sure if that reflect my application status that's under review..

I think they mass-email it to everyone who applied. Cuz they dont start sending out acceptances until jan-march....

I would give them a call to see wat happened OR check ur spam...

Anyways, they def do not interview.

Why I don't get this email??

Did you guys check your online status? mine is said that my application is already fowarded to the department to review.

As already stated, USC does NOT interview applicants. The Open House is for people to check out the school and see if it is a place they would enjoy attending. I'm not sure that it weighs at all (and I would doubt that it would) on the admissions process. I would guess that they would send the invite to everyone that applied, but I'm not sure. Unless you get something that says your admittance has been rejected, then you still have a chance. When I submitted my application they said I would know by April or May of their decision. I didn't think that they would send out acceptances at least until after this open house, so I was very surprised when I received an acceptance letter on the 10th of December. I am torn, because I know it is an excellent school, but I don't know if I can justify the tuition costs to attend. I honestly didn't think I would even get in either. And on top of that, they require a $1000 deposit to hold my spot and it's due a week BEFORE the open house, so I won't be able to check out the school before sending in my money. If you have any specific questions for me, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

I got the email today that invites me to attend the open house.

Hope to see you guys there on Jan 22nd.

I didn't get any emails about open houses or acceptances/rejections. I guess it's probably because my stats aren't competitive enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I still show up to the open house on the 22nd even if I didnt apply for this cycle. I didnt get invitation and I only heard about open house from this forum.

Hello,

I'm a PT and I went to USC. The Open House is to get to know other possible classmates and a chance to meet the professors, talk to current DPT students, hear about the program, what to expect and a tour of the campus.

Last edited:
I'm going! I haven't visited yet so it'll be a good chance to check things out for myself and not let the reputation get to me. I've talked with a lot of USC alumni already and they've told me what to expect so I'm excited to meet other people and faculty!

Anyone else going?

I'm going! I haven't visited yet so it'll be a good chance to check things out for myself and not let the reputation get to me. I've talked with a lot of USC alumni already and they've told me what to expect so I'm excited to meet other people and faculty!

Anyone else going?

I'm pretty sure I will go. Is that a kind of interview??:eek:

I'm planning on being there this weekend, but had one question. It seems like its sort of informal, so what is everyone planning on wearing? I was thinking of wearing a collared shirt, dress pants and dress shoes but skipping on the full suit jacket + tie getup seeing as how its informal.

I'm planning on being there this weekend, but had one question. It seems like its sort of informal, so what is everyone planning on wearing? I was thinking of wearing a collared shirt, dress pants and dress shoes but skipping on the full suit jacket + tie getup seeing as how its informal.

I talked to someone who went a few years ago and she said it's business casual. I'm thinking dress pants, nice blouse and nice, comfortable shoes.

Hey everyone,
Something came up at the last minute and I can no longer attend the open house. I'm very concerned about this and just wanted to double check that this will not effect my chances at being admitted into the program?

I got the invite and RSVP'd but I lost the email with the time and where to meet!!! does anyone have a copy of the email or the info for me!

thank you thank you

TIME AND PLACE
January 22, 2011, 1:00 to 5:30 p.m.
Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy
University of Southern California, Health Science Campus
Keith Administration Building
Mayer Auditorium
1975 Zonal Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90033

Free parking will be available in the Biggy Street Parking Structure, please check this link http://www.usc.edu/assets/maps/hsc_map.pdf to view map for directions to the parking structure and the Keith Administration Building.

I was there today! Any comments to this program???

Hey stephilosphy (and all others who attended), what did you feel about the program since you attended? I did not have time this weekend to attend. Would you go to this program? It's well known that it is one of the most expensive and largest class size. Did you feel like that would still have significant weight to your decision after you've been to their open house? Thanks.

I went to the open house and left with a better general feeling about the program than I had before attending. In regard to the large class size, they break it up into smaller groups by having 14 faculty members in each hands-on class divided among the 90 students, so you do get more interaction/guidance than I had previously thought. There was a "mixer" at the end of the day, and I talked to a lot of first year DPT students and faculty. Almost all the students had the same reply when I asked why they chose USC over other schools: the faculty. Because there are so many students, they have a large number of faculty, and each has their own area of expertise so I think each student can find at least one professor who can help them pursue his or her special interests.
I'm sure it's a great program, but it's also insanely expensive...I can't help but think you're paying mostly for the notoriety of the school...but if I do get accepted I will definitely at least consider going there. USC's program has around seven different clinical internships equaling almost a full year of experience upon graduation, which can help to fatten your resume and make you feel better prepared once you're done with school and job-hunting. That being said, graduating from any accredited PT program and passing the licensure exam will enable you to practice, all programs include internship experience, and I don't know if the additional cost for USC's program is justified.

I can't help but think you're paying mostly for the notoriety of the school... I don't know if the additional cost for USC's program is justified.

I work with the three alums of the program and it seems like you're on the right track as far as the biggest benefit of the school. The school is notorious because of its faculty. They have quite the cast of big name characters in Orthopedic, Neuro, and Pediatric rehabilitative research as well as in governing bodies of PT. Some of the students and alum can clarify.
Even though the clinic I work at is in the bay, our owner still keeps in touch with many of them and utilizes them as resources for con ed, inservices, and programs to keep the clinic up to date with advances in patient care. It seems just as they were during open house, they are very giving individuals that can help you during and after school.