USC or BU??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chipmunk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been reading the posts on this site for a while now and have just got around to joining...

So this is my situation...I got accepted to a number of schools in December (all only in the east coast) and made the final decision to go to BU (that $3000 deposit). Just recently, I got accepted to USC. Because I am a California resident and want to eventually practice in California, I decided to quickly jump on the opportunity to go to a California school and made my deposit to USC. Because I have two deposits down, I will need to drop one soon.

Now after careful thought, I really liked BU when I visited and liked the fact that it is a traditional program. USC was great as well for many reasons. However, one thing that I really have worries about is USC's PBL program. I am not really sure what to expect. I have read many good things, but there are also some negatives that I find with it personally. This is giving me second thoughts and now I am thinking about the possibility of going to BU. But by going to BU, there may potentially (not necessarily, though) be some difficulties for me later trying to establish myself in California when I am ready to practice--i.e. networks, patients etc.

Any thoughts? I need to make my final decision quick.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Chipmunk--

I have spoken to several BU students and I am sure you will succeed in their program. I am considering attending and have paid my deposit also at BU. The faculty seem spectacular and the patient pool is large. A large portion of the class is from california, suggesting that they really do prepare you for the boards well, even the california ones :) I do not know much about USC but I know if you attend BU you are in a very good position to succeed, they seem to take real good care of their students, unlike others. Unfortunately the cost is high, but that is another issue.

- Vikas

Go to school where u want to practice. My dentist went to BU and it took her 8 times to pass the CA board. My friend from Tuft passed it the second time. The CA board is picky. What ever that program is, it can't be as bad as taking the CA board a few times. And you can only take the board twice a year, if I remember it correctly. So, for my dentist, she had to hang loose for 4 yrs, her husband divorced her...lots of tragic happened....Make sure u make the right decision.
Best of luck
T

Members don't see this ad :)
I too liked BU a lot when I was there. I thought the facilities, campus, students, and faculty were great. But, the major drawback Ifound with BU is that the patient pool, though large, is not very diverse. It consists mostly of students. USC, on the other hand, is excellent clinically (this was even admitted by an admissions director from an east-coast school I interview at!) Plus, I plan on practicing in CA too, so I think that USC is the best choice. (Plus, the winters are bitter in Boston!)

Go to USC, especially since you want to practice in cali. You won't have to worry about finding patients for your state boards! I know two people that graduated from BU. One passed her boards I believe the first time. However, when she was applying for jobs, all of her future employers only wanted her for hygiene. The other girl who graduated for BU had to take the boards three times and spent a lot of money flying her BU patients down to Cali. Go to USC, it is a good reputable school. And student in the PBL program got higher board scores than those in the traditional. Isn't that why they changed the curriculum?
Good Luck!

I can't believe USC offered you an acceptance to their institution while I haven't been offered one. Considering you are already committed to another dental school, shouldn't you be bumped off their waiting list? WHAT is up with THAT? :)I would pick BU if I were you, since you are unsure about USC's PBL cirriculum. The learning experience a school is offering far outweighs its location. And I'm not just saying that because I wanna move up on the waiting list :)

Hi Luciddreamer:

Thanks for your input. However, I would like to point out that I was never placed on USCs waiting list. I received my admissions letter in the mail three days post-interviewing. The letter to be put on the waiting list also came at the same time I received my admissions letter. The admissions committee says this is because everyone who interviews is automatically placed on the waiting list if they want to be on it (this is done by simply filling out and returning that blue flier you received).

Also, I think the notion of "if you already accepted a spot at another dental school you should be "bumped" off of another institution's waiting list" is not all together true. Some schools may go by that, but I have direct evidence from several dental schools that this is not true.

Finally, I have decided to go to USC. After careful thought, consideration, and research on a PBL curriculum and USCs school of dentistry, I think it will be in my best interest to enroll there. For me, location was not the final or only determining factor, yet an added bonus!

Hope you hear positively from them soon!!
:)

Hey chipmunk... I am in the same EXACT position as you... east vs. west. (UPENN vs. USC) I have been talking to a lot of students and dentists about this very decision. We should chat and exchange info.

--DDS

Hi dentaldamnedstudent:

Sure, I'll send you an private email since you have your email addressed posted and mine is not. I also see that you are from LA. I am from SF. Maybe you can give me some tips on LA.

Look out for my email at your posted email address...later

chipmunk

Ok as a first yr PBL student, I feel obliged to put my $0.02. I think I talked to dentaldamned berfore.....remember me? Anyhow...I'll be honest and frank. If you want to practice in Cali, go to SC. I think it can be as simple as that. First of all, do you know of the pt pool situation in Boston schools? The state of MA passed some sort a bill where they cut out some MAJOR benefits from the medicaid package, and most if not all pts that show up to these boston schools to get their teeth done have medicaid. I believe X-rays, root canals, endo work are just some of the benefits that have been cut out. The boston dental schools and their students are on a crusade to get this repealed. I don't know if it's gonna be repealed, but the point being, if the bill stays, pt pop in boston will get reduced dramatically as the pts won't be able to afford some of the procedures. At USC, this won't be a problem as USC is situated in right in the heart of the LA ghetto....I see pts packing the clinic almost everyday. Second....Cali boards are not easy as some of the regional boards. This is not to say people from out of state don't pass but I do know that east coast schools teach a bit differetnly from west coast school and there are a few things that you are going to have to learn on your own to take the test. This may not be much, but why put yourself thru the hassel. Thirdly......I used to HATE PBL with a passion. Going to school everyday was a major pain in the a#! and I had nothing but curse words for the program. Now? I still don't love the program, but I woulnd't be afraid to say that an avg PBL student at USC has a much more solid basic science background that an avg student at a traditional school....the reason being that because you are forced, literally forced to study, not just the lecture material or what's going to on the exam....you tend to study everything and that is why i believe an avg PBL student has a much better grasp at the basic medical science priciples than others. Having said that PBL isn't for everybody. If you cant adjust to changes being made all the time, and if you are a type of person where you need everything to be neat & organized PBL will not work for you.

Steve
USC 2005