USC or Pittsburgh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shingshing

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first of all, thank all of you for all your supports and helps! Without this forum, i wont be able to get to this point. :) I am wondering which school is better between USC and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a nice city and the school is very helpful and organized at their interview. It seems to be a school who really cares about their students. USC is more well known and LA seems fun to live. But they have 100% PBL and high tuition. Does anyone know the academic aspects of each school? which one has better clinical training?
I plan to practice in CA after i graduate, so I dont know if the state of the school i go will make a difference in turns of passing the CA board and getting a job in CA.

So to summarize:
USC:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
pros: LA, beach, entertainment, well-known, CA, bigger campus
cons: Expensive, 100% PBL, bad neighborhood

Pittsburgh:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
pros: nice city, nice faculty and students, cheaper, not entirely PBL
cons: cold, far away from CA, less well known, smaller campus

Any comment?

Members don't see this ad.

shingshing said:
Hi guys, first of all, thank you all of you for all your supports and helps! Without this forum, i wont be able to get to this point. :) I am wondering which school is better between USC and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a nice city and the school is very helpful and organized at their interview. It seems to be a school who really cares about their students. USC is more well known and LA seems fun to live. But they have 100% PBL and high tuition. Does anyone know the academic aspects of each school? which one has better clinical training?
I plan to practice in CA after i graduate, so I dont know if the state of the school i go will make a difference in turns of passing the CA board and getting a job in CA.

So to summarize:
USC:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
pros: LA, beach, entertainment, well-known, CA, bigger campus
cons: Expensive, 100% PBL, bad neighborhood

Pittsburgh:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
pros: nice city, nice faculty and students, cheaper, not entirely PBL
cons: cold, far away from CA, less well known, smaller campus

Any comment?

I have researched Pitt and its a formidable school. USC's PBL sometimes sucks; but clinically-wise is a great school. The neighborhood is not bad, the people around here are low-income but they are very nice. If you're considering practicing in Cali well, it would be for you own benefit to stay in Cali. Remember, although expensive, you're investing in your future and the SC brand will definitely take you places around california; 60-65% of praciticing dentists in california are from SC and Remember! USC alumni always take care of their own...Best of luck to you

TeethVader said:
I have researched Pitt and its a formidable school.

Hey TeethVader, what do you mean by this? Just wondering because I'm considering the school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have researched Pitt and its a formidable school.

What in the world are you talking about here? I am very much considering Pitt, why do you think this? I am very curious.

Dental school-wise, I can't say because I'm not even a dental student yet.

But I am an undergrad at SC', and I can truthfully say the alumni network is no joke. My neighbor is a big time contractor and won all his bids through other Trojans. The school and its alumni really look out for each other. I think that's the only reason why I even got into USCSOD. If you plan on living in SoCal, SC carries alot of respect.

As academic instituions, I didn't know U. of Pittsburgh even existed before I applied to D-Schools. I'm sure Pitt has a great undergrad and D-school in general.

USC vs. UT Rose Bowl. Nice matchup. I'm curious to see how Pete Carroll will scheme for Vince Young.

Anyone can speak for Pittsburgh? Anyone going there for sure and why?

shingshing said:
Anyone can speak for Pittsburgh? Anyone going there for sure and why?

make up your own mind. Actually, just go to Pittsburgh.

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it. I just want to know more on both schools before I make a decision. This is why i post the question.

I would lean towards Pitt if I was in your shoes...

tsgalloway said:
I would lean towards Pitt if I was in your shoes...
May I know why you chose Pitt?

shingshing said:
May I know why you chose Pitt?
USC all the way! Better weather, good school, hot girls/guys. Whats not to love about it?

Well, I don't know anything about USC, so I can't speak about it knowingly at all. However, I did visit Pitt and absolutely loved it. I thought the city was beautiful (and I have yet to live in a city that size, so I would love the experience), the people were young and laid back, the professors are so cool they show up at the student's parties with togas on and then open a bar tab. I just loved it. It felt like summer camp but with fiercely intelligent people everywhere who all worked very hard (and, at least from what they said, had very little competition). Now, I am originally from Upstate New York, which is cold and miserable...that is why I go to college in Florida. Yes, I will miss the sun shine every single day, but when else do I have the chance to just pick up and move? If you are going to live in Ca. your entire life, do you want to start a practice and a family without ever have experiencing any other place? I don't know, I just feel like there aren't that many opportunities anymore to live wherever, whenever. Many of us with finish dental school, move to where we want to practice, get married, start a family, and begin paying back our outrageous loans. When that starts, there is no more popping around the country. We'll have major responsibilities. Just a thought. The one thing of which I would be wary is the 100% PBL at USC - it completely depends on what type of learner you are, but to me, that just sounds daunting and relentless. Many people will thrive and succeed in that environment, I am sure, or else the program wouldn't be standing. But I love professors. They can be such a wealth of knowledge. I would hate to think that I would have such a small amount of time with them as a PBL curriculum offers.

In the end it's your choice. I know California is beautiful - lots of my family is from there. But if you are going to live there forever, then you have nothing to worry about. What's four years of something new besides a great learning experience?

Good Luck!

I'm in the midst of deciding between Pitt and Maryland most likely, but leaning more towards Pitt. I just got this nice feeling of being there. All of the students were on great terms with the faculty, the students were so nice to each other and everyone seemed so laid back.

They've got the relatively new clinic and labs which are in really, really nice shape. They say they have a great patient pool. Personally, I'm considering it because #1 - instate tuition because I'm from PA and #2 - I'm a suburban girl who aboslutely hates big city life and Oakland had this nice little semi-suburban feel. It's a gorgeous area and I think it was the only dental school I interveiwed at where I knew that I would feel SAFE if I walked home after dark. That was a huge problem for me at all of the other ones that I've interviewed at except for Stony Brook.

My only negative is that it's 6 hours from my home and one my requisites is that I wanted to stay close to where I live :rolleyes: . But oh well, we'll see what happens.

I don't know anything about USC so I can't say anything about it. :p