USC or reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this all comes down to one of the not-spoken-often-enough SDN motifs: don't apply to a school you wouldn't want to attend.

you applied to dental schools, USC included, for two cycles. why? i'll go on a limb and say it's because you want to become a dentist. well SURPRISE! usc will make you one.

sure it may not be the cheapest, or easiest, or most supportive path through dental school, but it's dental school.

i'm almost literally scratching my head as to how this is a problem for you. did you apply to usc ignorant not only to their cost of attendance but also their style of curriculum? or did you disregard the latter and bank on handling the former by winning one of those (increasingly competitive) military scholarships?

i get how one can perceive the gravity of this situation. i mean, i know it's a big deal...but it's also not. it's four years. it'll be over and behind you before you know it. go to the damn school and become a dentist.

+1....what did the OP decide? I'm sure time is running out any day now!

Members don't see this ad.

For now I put down my deposit, but half of it is refundable. It just didn't seem worth it to take that chance and not get in, which if I didn't I would have to go back to a private school in CA to get another degree probably since I am not a big fan of research and would really hate my life if I did that for the rest of my life.

Also I get the don't apply to a school you wouldn't go to or didn't like, but some people really do apply based on hoping to get that scholarship. Also, I know USC had pbl, but never really experienced it the way they did until the interview and wasn't too thrilled with it. Obviously if USC was cheaper I would not hesitate, but I think it would be silly not to look at the cost of a program and jump right in. No one knows how things with be financially in 4 years or how much dentistry might change because of the government. Every career has its tipping point when it comes to how much debt you will take on and I think it would be a bit foolish to jump right in without thinking about the consequences, even if it is your dream career.

The main reason I am leaning towards going right now is there is a high chance I will be living with someone in Glendale that I know rent free, which would save me a lot of money.

[youtube]-_IlNbsILLE[/youtube]