USC or U. Pittsburgh? Where would you go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akachan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I debating on which to go to! USC or Pitt? What are your opinions? Any regrets? Are you happy with your decisions?

Members don't see this ad.

Lia,

I am currently a MS-1 at Pitt Med. Although I personally did not get in SC, one of my friends who is also a MS-1 did choose Pitt over SC. He is happy with his decision.

CPA

I did not apply to either school (well, I did to USC a while back then but did not fill out their secondary).

From my friends who interviewed at Pitt, they really liked the school but it is heavily represented by in-state residents because of the way Pitt and the state work together.

Anyway, I love southern cal's sunshine, although USC seems to be in a not-so-safe neighborhood (but probably not as bad as Temple or SUNY-downstate). I would go to USC.

Reputation-wise, yeah, Pitt is better but by how much? Unless you go for top 10 or 15, I would go with personal preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt loves Californians...we are the second most represented group here. You definitely won't be sorry if you chose Pitt. As an added bonus, I think even with the out of state tuition, Pitt is cheaper than USC.

You should definitely go to Pitt.

What I am afraid of is if i go to Pitt, will it be more difficult for me to come back to Calif during residency?

Not necessarily, I've maintained my California residency just to be sure. But for the most part, everyone that I know of who has wanted to go back to California has gone back. I got a look at the match list today and there were a few UCSF, UCLA etc... matches.

I don't think that you will have any problem going back to California for your residency. Pitt is a very well respected school, and CA residency directors know that.

I second the opinion that going to Pitt will not hinder you coming back to Cali later on.

However, I will continue my lonely lobbying effort and give this thread some balance. I personally don't feel that the reputation difference is worth the consideration. Go with weather, family or financial factors. Don't go with the "reputation" difference (or lack of).

Speaking as a Californian at Pitt, I would go to USC. Your own happiness here will depend on what kind of person you are. Will you miss the nice weather? The year-round access to the outdoors? Do you need to live in a big city ? Pittsburgh is small for a Californian- only 300,000 people. On the other hand, this is a big place for some of my classmates.

On the bright side, the people at Pitt are very nice and laid back. Also, there are plenty of nice apartments to rent for reasonable prices.

What do you do extra-curricularly, and can you imagine yourself spending alot of November-March indoors?

kim

I'm MS-1 at USC. Don't let the "bad neighborhood" scare you off. Yes it's East LA. Yes bad things happen. However, if you just use some common sense (ie. walking with other people at night, parking in the structures after dark, etc.) it's not a problem. During school/working hours, the place is as safe as can be. No worries.

One big plus USC has is that County is a great teaching hospital. Supposedly, all kinds of gnarly pathology can be seen there quite often because of the socio-economic status of the patients. (I can't really say because I obviously haven't rotated through there yet.)

I interviewed at Pitt. I was very unimpressed by the weather and the city. Although I liked the school, I knew by the end of my interview day that I didn't want to go there because it didn't feel comfortable to me. Must have been bad karma because I didn't get accepted. Like someone wrote above--as a native Southern Californian, I would have been miserable in the freezing cold weather and such a tiny city.

It's all about what you're used to and where you think you'd be the happiest. Good luck in your decision. Maybe I'll see you here next year!

I can see how someone from So Cal would not be impressed with Pittsburgh. I find that there are not nearly enough freeways or strip malls and rush hour only lasts from 5 to 6. (Just kidding)

Seriously, I agree whole-heartedly with most of the other posters so far. Go where you think you'll be the happiest. Four years is a long time to be miserable.

Personally, I found that Pittsburgh does have a lot going for it (running in the snow is pretty cool) but if I'm really lucky I'll be spending five years in Torrance before heading back up to the Bay Area.

Good luck in your decision, you can't really go wrong with the choices you have.

Pittsburgh only has 300,000 people? Wow I thought it was a bigger city than that. What's it like living next to the three rivers? Are there things to do on those rivers or what?