Would you recommend being cautious of programs that rarely or never match their own students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1168269

Currently looking at a program with 32 residents (8 per year). Not a SINGLE one is from that medical school despite having 5-10 graduates every year match into the specialty. This makes me worried because either:

1) the program is hypercritical to the point that it doesn’t match students who work in its department.

2) or the students know to stay away from the program.

I am asking because I am considering signaling this program due to location.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently looking at a program with 32 residents (8 per year). Not a SINGLE one is from that medical school despite having 5-10 graduates every year match into the specialty. This makes me worried because either:

1) the program is hypercritical to the point that it doesn’t match students who work in its department.

2) or the students know to stay away from the program.

I am asking because I am considering signaling this program due to location.
Sounds a bit worrisome to me. It could happen just by chance, but personally I don’t like statistical outliers.

Only way to know for sure is talk to the current residents as well as the med students they’re interested in that field. Ideally do an audition rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah that’s a bit unusual. If you can find past match lists it may be worth seeing where their students go instead. If this is more a mid tier program and their grads are landing spots at top tier programs, then it may not be a problem. But yeah it’s definitely a red flag until proven otherwise.

We were 5 residents per year and to either home or rotator students every year - usually more than one. About half our complement had been home or rotating students. That said we were very very selective and those students were all stars - aced the steps, near perfect clinical grades, tons of research, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds a bit worrisome to me. It could happen just by chance, but personally I don’t like statistical outliers.

Only way to know for sure is talk to the current residents as well as the med students they’re interested in that field. Ideally do an audition rotation.

Yeah that’s a bit unusual. If you can find past match lists it may be worth seeing where their students go instead. If this is more a mid tier program and their grads are landing spots at top tier programs, then it may not be a problem. But yeah it’s definitely a red flag until proven otherwise.

We were 5 residents per year and to either home or rotator students every year - usually more than one. About half our complement had been home or rotating students. That said we were very very selective and those students were all stars - aced the steps, near perfect clinical grades, tons of research, etc.

Thanks for the replies! Their students go all over the place in that specialty. The only worrisome thing I’ve heard on Reddit is that the program is sort of overrun by NPs and PAs who are on the “same level” as residents. Which is really bizarre because this is supposedly at a T30 med school. Not sure if that’s the reason.

Thanks for the replies! Their students go all over the place in that specialty. The only worrisome thing I’ve heard on Reddit is that the program is sort of overrun by NPs and PAs who are on the “same level” as residents. Which is really bizarre because this is supposedly at a T30 med school. Not sure if that’s the reason.
My experience has been that midlevels are a huge bonus to residents. We had quite a few and added them during the course of my training. They are on the same “level” in some way - I think of them as lifelong residents, but with better hours and better pay. They take away the cyclical ignorance that’s inherent in trainees, so you don’t have the newly on service intern not knowing who to call for certain DME. The inpatient NP just texts their friend who does that and bam, patient ready to go. They’re also great for supervising junior trainees for simple bedside procedures, and they don’t really care about doing things since they get paid either way and they generally appreciate the teaching mission.

So all in all, frees up everyone from scut and keeps the service flowing smoothly. By the time you’re a later pgy2 or above you’re likely well beyond them in procedural skills anyhow.

I’m sure that medical students likely perceive their levels as equal because they don’t understand the arc of training yet. They see a PA scrubbing and assisting on a case while the intern or med student is less involved and see that as a midlevel taking away from a resident. In reality it may be a more advanced case than the resident is ready for because the chief tossed a junior in the room because he wanted to do something else even cooler. So the attending is miffed they have a junior for an advanced case and instead just work with the PA to get it done. Now if you see a chief holding hook while the attending and PA go at it, run.

(Side note- a friend of mine used to call this the PG-WHY rule of academic attendings: Why is the intern in my case? What’s the pgy2 doing? Why is the pgy2 in this case? What’s the 3 doing? And so on until you finally get to the senior fellow at which point they’re finally happy.)

But the level appropriateness of cases is hard to see as a student. If I had a PGY1/2 with me in a big complex case, I’d probably utilize my PA or usual FA more heavily because they know all my next moves and make things go better. I’d probably let the trainee do a little at the start, but they will very quickly exceed their skill level and I still have 8-12 hours of case left. I make a point to teach and demonstrate the entire time, but I can’t walk a junior trainee through something way beyond them in anything resembling a timely manner.

There are simply skills and anatomy you need to solidify in simpler cases before you’re ready for something more advanced.

In the program in question, you’ll want to see what their grads are doing. If they’re turning out well trained confident and safe surgeons, then their system works. You need to find out what their chiefs are comfortable doing when they graduate. If they’re not comfortable at all, and doing fellowships to make up for poor training rather than true specialty interest, then that’s a red flag.

Reactions: 2 users
My experience has been that midlevels are a huge bonus to residents. We had quite a few and added them during the course of my training. They are on the same “level” in some way - I think of them as lifelong residents, but with better hours and better pay. They take away the cyclical ignorance that’s inherent in trainees, so you don’t have the newly on service intern not knowing who to call for certain DME. The inpatient NP just texts their friend who does that and bam, patient ready to go. They’re also great for supervising junior trainees for simple bedside procedures, and they don’t really care about doing things since they get paid either way and they generally appreciate the teaching mission.

So all in all, frees up everyone from scut and keeps the service flowing smoothly. By the time you’re a later pgy2 or above you’re likely well beyond them in procedural skills anyhow.

I’m sure that medical students likely perceive their levels as equal because they don’t understand the arc of training yet. They see a PA scrubbing and assisting on a case while the intern or med student is less involved and see that as a midlevel taking away from a resident. In reality it may be a more advanced case than the resident is ready for because the chief tossed a junior in the room because he wanted to do something else even cooler. So the attending is miffed they have a junior for an advanced case and instead just work with the PA to get it done. Now if you see a chief holding hook while the attending and PA go at it, run.

(Side note- a friend of mine used to call this the PG-WHY rule of academic attendings: Why is the intern in my case? What’s the pgy2 doing? Why is the pgy2 in this case? What’s the 3 doing? And so on until you finally get to the senior fellow at which point they’re finally happy.)

But the level appropriateness of cases is hard to see as a student. If I had a PGY1/2 with me in a big complex case, I’d probably utilize my PA or usual FA more heavily because they know all my next moves and make things go better. I’d probably let the trainee do a little at the start, but they will very quickly exceed their skill level and I still have 8-12 hours of case left. I make a point to teach and demonstrate the entire time, but I can’t walk a junior trainee through something way beyond them in anything resembling a timely manner.

There are simply skills and anatomy you need to solidify in simpler cases before you’re ready for something more advanced.

In the program in question, you’ll want to see what their grads are doing. If they’re turning out well trained confident and safe surgeons, then their system works. You need to find out what their chiefs are comfortable doing when they graduate. If they’re not comfortable at all, and doing fellowships to make up for poor training rather than true specialty interest, then that’s a red flag.

Thank you so much! I’m applying neurology. Do you think it still applies?

My program do have a few NPs, and I’d say they are very helpful. They usually just help taking the burden off of us residents especially when our lists is getting crazy high. They see mostly follow up patients with low level stuff that us residents wouldn’t want to clug up our day with anyway. And Neurology is complex enough that they don’t pretend to know nearly as much as a PGY2 and up.

Some departments at academic institutions with their own in-house residency will also have NPs/PAs usually if there is too much work for the residents but they have not been able to get approval from ACGME to expand their number of residency positions (eg they don't have enough core faculty to meet the requirements). NPs/PAs often will help out with more of the "scut" work when they are alongside residents in the same department which hopefully will lead to residents doing more educational tasks. The more experienced midllevels will often be just as good or better as some of the residents, and some places consider midlevels with enough experience in the specialty to be on par as a junior attending. However, note that residents are obviously much cheaper to hire than midlevels, so if the department is able to increase the number of residency spots, they will likely replace the midlevels with more residents.

Yes you should be critical and wary of that scenario. There's a reason why the program isn't matching its own students. It's one of two reasons - either the medical school is not producing quality candidates for that program, which is less relevant for you, or the students from that school know something about the program that you do not. The latter is almost certainly the case and it would behoove you to find out what it is they know that you don't, so that you can make a more informed decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes you should be critical and wary of that scenario. There's a reason why the program isn't matching its own students. It's one of two reasons - either the medical school is not producing quality candidates for that program, which is less relevant for you, or the students from that school know something about the program that you do not. The latter is almost certainly the case and it would behoove you to find out what it is they know that you don't, so that you can make a more informed decision.
Or the students just wanna leave for whatever other reason. Maybe it’s in an undesirable location, lower ranked, or not having all the neuro subspecialties…Who knows? Only a student can tell you for sure.

Neuro is hard anywhere you go, but neuro is also small enough that I’m comfortable to say that (outside of brand new programs) I doubt it’s because of malignancy.

Or the students just wanna leave for whatever other reason. Maybe it’s in an undesirable location, lower ranked, or not having all the neuro subspecialties…Who knows? Only a student can tell you for sure.

Neuro is hard anywhere you go, but neuro is also small enough that I’m comfortable to say that (outside of brand new programs) I doubt it’s because of malignancy.
I dunno man… NO home students is kind of a big red flag… there is almost always 1 or 2 that are there purely because they want to stay by family, even if the program isn’t good. Personally I’d very extremely cautious with a program without any home students, when there is smoke there is almost always fire when it comes to stuff like this.

Reactions: 4 users
It can. Devil is in the details as always.

If the attendings and midlevels are just crunching out rvus and not really teaching then that could be an issue.

If they aren’t allowing residents graduated leadership and autonomy and rather just using them as midlevels then that’s an issue. This could be a problem but maybe harder for students to detect. In any program, you should go from making no decisions to making all the decisions by the end of your training. Sure, you’ll confirm the key decisions with the attending, but senior residents should be running their services and functioning like soon-to-be attendings. I could see a bunch of midlevels making it more challenging for residents to progress in terms of leadership and autonomy in a non surgical program. They would need to clarify where exactly the midlevels fall in the hierarchy and that’s a challenge because they’re really outside of it altogether.

You really need to find a way to get some firsthand info from residents as well as students that went elsewhere. My gut says the lack of any home students remains a red flag until proven otherwise.

If it is something like plastic and there are only 2 spots, maybe I can understand that there isn't anyone from the home team for one or two years. But, it would be somewhat of a red flag if there is not even one from the home team in the program. It could happen I would imagine.

Last edited:
Can you please name the program OP?
The only worrisome thing I’ve heard on Reddit is that the program is sort of overrun by NPs and PAs who are on the “same level” as residents. Which is really bizarre because this is supposedly at a T30 med school.
I'm not sure precisely what program OP is talking about, but if you polled a group of neurology-focused M4s and academic neurology residents/PDs/etc and asked them to name a big-name medical school which has a neurology residency with this reputation, one particular program is going to get a lot more answers than the rest.

To answer OP's question: not necessarily a red flag at a big-name medical school. I attend at a similar caliber institution, and we also have trouble retaining our top med students; the majority of people we would really like to keep end up leaving. Keep in mind that top students from a top medical school are going to match to the top neurology programs. I'm not going to try to convince our top students to pick us over UCSF/Mayo/BIDMC/Penn/JH (though some do).

I will say it's a little weird to have zero retention.

If you want more specific advice on a specific program, sharing the region of the country in which you are looking would probably be sufficient.

If a program is not matching any of its students, that's an issue that goes beyond that. The longer the period of time over which this occurs, the bigger of a problem. Because no matter the location, some students will have chosen to go to med school in that location and it can't be that nobody wants to stay just because of the location/rank. It has to do with something about the program itself - and not having all the subspecialties is a problem of the program.

Or the students just wanna leave for whatever other reason. Maybe it’s in an undesirable location, lower ranked, or not having all the neuro subspecialties…Who knows?
I can honestly tell you that it's none of those reasons

As others have highlighted, it depends where the students are going and where they are matching from. But something this pronounced makes it more likely than not that their home students are perceiving something wrong with the program

To give a balanced perspective, it can in some cases be a positive….but typically only if it is a very prestigious program. I know of a top-notch ophthalmology residency program at a very good medical school that never takes its own medical students. They somehow feel that taking their own students decreases their reputation of taking “the best”, and they don’t want to be known as a “homer” program.

To give a balanced perspective, it can in some cases be a positive….but typically only if it is a very prestigious program. I know of a top-notch ophthalmology residency program at a very good medical school that never takes its own medical students. They somehow feel that taking their own students decreases their reputation of taking “the best”, and they don’t want to be known as a “homer” program.

Going to a program that never matches their own students on purpose is like getting married into a family where your in-laws hate their own kids.

What's the program and/or region? I'd say it's typically a red flag looking at experience from my med school, but without knowing specifics it's hard to say. If you don't feel comfortable sharing, PM me.