USC or UPENN????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanchoi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one have any thoughts on this decision. Im from california, but im trying to get some unbiased opinions on this decision. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely USC :thumbup:

Financially, these are both expensive schools. Either you like beaches and the beautiful people or you like the eastern seaboard. Personally, I would opt for the beaches.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPENN 100%. ** Graduate on time with less debt at a better school **

Need I say more?

jb!:)

UPenn for sure...it's a much better school. However, if you want to take advantage of LA you should go usc.

School quality: UPENN >>>>>>> USC
To have fun: USC >>>> UPenn but i doubt you'll have too much time during dental school.

I would say UPENN.... USC is PBL so if that style doesn't work for you then definitely UPENN.....

UPenn for sure...it's a much better school. However, if you want to take advantage of LA you should go usc.

School quality: UPENN >>>>>>> USC
To have fun: USC >>>> UPenn but i doubt you'll have too much time during dental school.

There is plenty of time to have fun in dental school. Philly can be a fun city so don't discount it.

What are you more interested in - research/academia or clinical skills?

USC for clinical (skills and techniques useful for private practice)
UPenn for research (connections and opportunities to get published)

USC is awesome it is expensive and cost of living is more than UPenn but it is clinically a great place to be and if you are a self-motivated hard worker you will have no problem being successful at USC. Trojans all the way.

USC is a great clinical school. Their may be better out thier but I think USC is one of the best. The drawbacks are that you may not graduate on time and it is very expensive.

Go to USC, I don't know about now, but some of the most well known/respected dentists of the 20th century either went to school there or taught there, and many of the instruments you will use(or not use if you choose upenn) are named after them. I go to Baylor and we have very rigorous clinical requirements and I feel I'm going to be a better practicing dentist for it.

This is the most pro USC thread I've seen on these boards in years. Good to see.

Go to USC, I don't know about now, but some of the most well known/respected dentists of the 20th century either went to school there or taught there, and many of the instruments you will use(or not use if you choose upenn) are named after them. I go to Baylor and we have very rigorous clinical requirements and I feel I'm going to be a better practicing dentist for it.

Oh yeah, that's smart. Choose a school because most of the instruments you use are named after people that taught at the school.

I know I'll be a bad SDNer if I say this...

But USC sucks.....

why?? besides its being PBL and not many ppl graduating on time...

trojan lasts only once...

sorry I go to UCLA undergrad

School spirit...

boo USC

UPenn. At least you have your own chair. USC, fight for your chair. I can't imagine paying that much money and have to fight for chair every morning

UPenn. At least you have your own chair. USC, fight for your chair. I can't imagine paying that much money and have to fight for chair every morning

Having your own chair would be nice, but honestly, I got a chair whenever I needed it. I had to turn a patient away one time in two years. Also, I heard rumors about having assigned chairs once the clinic remodel project is completed. A few million dollars has already been raised and the project should be started within the year.

In regards to on-time graduation, in the past if a student was not completely signed out by May 16th, thats it, they had to wait until August for their diploma, even if they signed out May 17th (University policy). They have changed that starting this year. We now have until June 13th to completely sign out and get a diploma dated May 16th. This will greatly effect the on-time graduation and I believe the vast majority of the class will have signed out with a May diploma. But let me say that signing out in time is NOT easy. You have to work hard in the clinic to get it done!

in other news: The associate dean responsible for clinic operations will step down after 7 years and a new assoc dean, Dr Abelson (who runs the faculty practice across the street) is taking over in July. Also, the chair of operative/fixed is moving away and also will be replaced in July.

in other news: The associate dean responsible for clinic operations will step down after 7 years and a new assoc dean, Dr Abelson (who runs the faculty practice across the street) is taking over in July. Also, the chair of operative/fixed is moving away and also will be replaced in July.

What sort of changes do you anticipate with these moves?

There is plenty of time to have fun in dental school. Philly can be a fun city so don't discount it.

It's as good a reason as any and it shows that they have a reputation for turning out and employing clinically competent dentists who can actually do dentistry, not just turn out a research paper.

Does any one have any thoughts on this decision. Im from california, but im trying to get some unbiased opinions on this decision. thanks

I see that a lot of people says that USC will offer you good clinical skills and UPenn is a research school. While I do think it is true that UPenn offers great research opportunity, but do not think for one second that UPenn will sacrifice your clinical training. UPenn has similar graduation requirement just like other so called clinical oriented schools if not more. The clinical faculty at UPenn are great. I know because I am a UPenn grad myself. I think either schools you go to will make you a great clinician if you work hard at it.

I , like you, was from CA. I got into both USC and UPenn. I chose UPenn because I thought I definitely want to go to a school with a more recognized name if I am paying almost the same tuition. But I think you should also consider where do you want to practice after you graduate. If you want to practice in CA, then I would say go to USC because of the alumni support in CA. But if you want to leave CA and want to go to Eastern seaboard...then Upenn of course....oh, you also should make sure that you like the PBL at USC.......