USC Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuikm3603

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Did anyone receive a confirmation e-mail from USC that they received the PharmCAS or supplemental application? I submitted both of mine but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't you wait for them to send you an invitation to do the supplemental and then submit it ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Shouldn't you wait for them to send you an invitation to do the supplemental and then submit it ?

No, the supplemental application is available online. If you go onto USC Pharm's "How to Apply" page, you will find a link to the supplemental application there.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it waste of $$ to apply with 3.25 GPA?

is it waste of $$ to apply with 3.25 GPA?

What else do you have? (pharmacy experience, extracurricular's, major?) What does your grade trend look like? If you've got a lot under your belt then that GPA is fine.

What are my chances?
GPA: 2.7 (graduating in December 2014)
I plan on taking a year off and re-taking some community college classes and maybe doing a master's program. Would that help my chances of getting into USC? Will re-taking and taking classes like microbiology that I have not taken at my undergrad university help my GPA? Any replies help. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What are my chances?
I plan on taking a year off and re-taking some community college classes and maybe doing a master's program. Would that help my chances of getting into USC? Will re-taking and taking classes like microbiology that I have not taken at my undergrad university help my GPA? Any replies help. Thanks!

https://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/admission/faq/
Minimum GPA requirement is 3.00
so you have no chance at all

Reactions: 1 user
What are my chances?
with that gpa it will be tuff to get into any school, let alone usc. most schools have cutoffs at 3.0 or 2.75

It is possible...Just really hard. I am on my 4th application. I have worked as a technician for over 4 years. Since I started down this journey I have taken 85 extra credits to increase my GPA. I also busted my butt getting a great PCAT score. If you put in the time and stay with it you flip to the other side where your experience and connections you have made make you a great candidate. I know I have a career in Pharmacy one way or another because of the standards I held myself to while I was trying to get in. It is a rough ride for those of us who see our potential later in life but anything is possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone heard from USC? I got a course evaluation e-mail, but that's it...

I just received the course evaluation email as well .. About 30 minutes ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an e-mail last week saying my degree wasn't verified yet, so I sent them my transcript and got an e-mail today saying it was.

I hope we will hear more soon!

No.

did you receive a confirmation email after you submitted the supplemental?

No.

did you receive a confirmation email after you submitted the supplemental?
Nope, I didn't receive any confirmation. However, I did receive the course evaluation e-mail earlier today.

Yeah no confirmation, just an evaluation email.

They said 1-3 weeks, and it's almost 3 weeks from October 17th...

Yeah no confirmation, just an evaluation email.

They said 1-3 weeks, and it's almost 3 weeks from October 17th...
I know... I am literally checking my e-mail every waking second

I have not received any confirmation e-mail either. It's been about a week now since I submitted both supplemental + pharmcas

I haven't heard anything. So close to interview date...

:( I thought they would give one month notice haha.

Actually I called last week and the person guessed the end of this week, but they didn't know.

As a rather harsh detractor to some of the school's deficiencies, I also want to also be fair and balanced.

The pass rate for the NAPLEX is approx. 100% annually (similar to many other schools), and around 85% for the CPJE (similar to many other schools). I passed both exams having limited outpatient experience, and with minimal studying. Some of my classmates (yes plural) did not study and passed both exams.

This school will prepare you to function as a pharmacist. I know of only one classmate without a job, and it is by choice.

The school's strength is networking-it is off the charts. Doors will open for interviews, that normally remain closed. Literally 50% of all pharmacists in Southern California graduated from USC. You are only limited by yourself, your creativity, and your time.

Will you sometimes become frustrated with the school and your choice? Probably. However, it does not matter once you graduate and become licensed-you look back and laugh. Things that seemed so big, appear tiny. Nothing at the school is so bad that you cannot pass your classes, grow as a person and professionally, and also have the time of your life.

Is it expensive? Yes! But you chose to attend a private school in an expensive state. Can I honestly look in your eyes and say that your education is better than elsewhere? No. Do they have a lot of great rotations, and a network that is second-to-none in California? Yes.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the program is competitive enough that it's worth applying for, and then deciding if it's right for you. Sort of depends on what you value though. Some prestige or saving some money. :|

^^ USC networking is not strong as some may lead you to believe. Don't believe me? Go to the USC homecoming and see how many alumni show up. Ask the school how many alumni donated to the school. The only reason why so many pharmacists in Southern California graduated from USC is because for the longest time USC was the only school in Southern California.

The faculty of this school have been taking the good name and location of this school for granted. Now that there is competition, they are trying to change the curriculum. The problem is not the curriculum but the faculty, the infighting (PharmD vs PhD), the ignorant belief that USC is better.

This school needs some major changes and it should start with the faculty. If it doesn't, this school, with its pricey tuition and fee, will just be remembered for its glory days when it was the only game in town.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.67
- Certified Pharmacy Technician
- 5 weeks volunteering at retail pharmacy
- 4 months research experience
- Pre-Pharmacy club board member
- Great LORs from pharmacist and science professors as well as other extracurriculars

Is there a way to know who will conduct the interview on Oct 17? they mentioned a student and faculty member. Is there a way to know their names before the interview?

I submitted my supplemental about two weeks ago and I am so nervous that I haven't heard back. I know it hasn't been too long, but it still makes me extremely anxious regardless.

Interesting read... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/usc-pharmacy-school-–-the-truth-no-one-will-tell-you-about.1052814/

Can any current USC P1 P2 P3 etc chime in? Is USC pharm as bad as all these former/current USC pharm students on SDN are saying?

I would agree with a fair bit of this. The post is vague, and so as not to violate the terms of service for the forum, I recommend that you bring up questions like this during the interview. The students that aren't actually sitting in your interview have no input to whether you get in or not so it's not detrimental to ask these kinds of questions. Ask them specific details and not how they like the program. The ones that are doing the interviews aren't going to actively bad-mouth their program. But if you ask them to comment on the class schedules, comment on specific faculty members that hold power in the school, comment on future opportunities. Do your due diligence and find out the specifics about the program and what kind of outlook you can expect 4 years down the line. At the end of the day, the school is supposed to be preparing you for the future as a competent pharmacist and valuable member of society. How do the people in power get you to that point?

I would agree with a fair bit of this. The post is vague, and so as not to violate the terms of service for the forum, I recommend that you bring up questions like this during the interview. The students that aren't actually sitting in your interview have no input to whether you get in or not so it's not detrimental to ask these kinds of questions. Ask them specific details and not how they like the program. The ones that are doing the interviews aren't going to actively bad-mouth their program. But if you ask them to comment on the class schedules, comment on specific faculty members that hold power in the school, comment on future opportunities. Do your due diligence and find out the specifics about the program and what kind of outlook you can expect 4 years down the line. At the end of the day, the school is supposed to be preparing you for the future as a competent pharmacist and valuable member of society. How do the people in power get you to that point?

Please ask away! I would like to help you guys (whoever is applying) make a decision whether or not this school is right for you.

And congrats to those who have interviews this Friday- I may be seeing some of you

Sign In and Lunch was from 11:30- 1
Faculty Q&A 30 mins
Student Q&A 30 mins
Essay 50 mins
2 Snack Breaks 15 Mins each
Interview 20-30 Mins
Facility Tour 30 Mins

Last edited:
Thank you so much for letting me know what to expect :)

What is this evaluation email about? Am I suppose to reply back something along with my name and PharmCAS id? Please help!

What is this evaluation email about? Am I suppose to reply back something along with my name and PharmCAS id? Please help!

I dont think you need to email them back. Just complete the survey.

Best of luck to all applicants!