USC PharmD Q’s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedWizard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I had some questions about the USC school of Pharmacy for their PharmD program:

Is it hard to get in?

For those who were successful in getting in, what stats and pharm tech experience did you all have?

I have heard about their waitlist. Can anyone discuss more about that?

I have heard some negatives about the school including: high tuition, poor faculty interaction, and so forth. Can anyone elaborate on that? I have also heard about less people applying as a result. Is that true?

Do you have to apply with all the prerequisites done?

Any other thoughts about their pharmd program?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it hard to get in?

Fall 2017's class had a ~48% acceptance rate according to Class Profile · USC School of Pharmacy

high tuition, etc.

What do you want to do with the degree? If you want to work retail/community just go somewhere that is the cheapest (i.e. in-state tuition) and has a NAPLEX passing rate above the national average. Going to USC may make sense for working as a pharmacist in a hospital/clinical/research/pharmaceutical industry setting. But, their tuition is ~$20k more per year than most schools out of state tuition. Is an extra $80k over 4 years (+ LA cost of living) going to give you one of those non-retail jobs that an equally competitive research focused state school that's part of a health center will not?

A prestigious school and its alumni network will get you far but what exactly makes USC (besides SoCal weather) worth 1.5x the tuition of the 10 state schools at the top of US News and World Report's list that have equally impressive alumni networks / research grants / endowments.

Graduation and Post-Graduation Data · USC School of Pharmacy

The post-graduation data doesn't give concrete stats for actual jobs, just people's plans which I'd take with a grain of salt. As many as 72 people are taking on 1.5x the debt to work at a 3, 7, or 8 letter pharmacy. That seems crazy to me with what the community/retail pharmacy world looks like for new grads for the foreseeable future.

Do you have to apply with all the prerequisites done?

Usually you can still have pre-reqs in progress, each school's website and/or pharmcas page will tell you whether this is the case. PharmCAS and their website should also say whether they want everything done by Spring or Summer semester of the year before you matriculate and how many pre-reqs you can still have in progress. I had a few pre-reqs outstanding and every school I applied to offered me an interview and all my admission letters specified what I still needed to complete (if they hadn't discussed it with me during the actual interview day).

There is some flexibility in using classes to substitute for others and a schools flexibility is directly correlated w/ how competitive you are for their class (i.e. if you're otherwise at the top of the heap w/ GPA/PCAT they'll let you finish a course past the deadline stated on pharmcas within reason). With USC closing applications so early and how competitive it is, you probably won't get away with summer classes right before that fall.