USC Post Bacc Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skibum84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I graduated in 2006 from USC with dual degrees in Business Administration and Accounting. I now work as an accountant and get no satisfaction from the job or the industry in general. Ever since I can remember I wanted to be a doctor, but being an 18 year old when I chose my major, who was more concerned with partying than anything else, I took the easy 4 year option in business and have hated everything about it since day one. Now I am ready to actually do this whole medicine thing and am really interested in USC's post bacc program, and all programs in the Southern California area in general. My problem is that none of the sites are specific in what sort of grades and test scores they want. I have not taken any premed courses in college and I am not underprivileged or underrepresented. So, here are my questions:

1) Do the UC schools even consider your apps if you are not underprivileged or underrepresented?

2) If I have a 3.2 cummulative undergrad GPA and a 1320 SAT, will I be considered at USC or other So. Cal. programs or is this too low? What if I take the GMAT or GRE?

3) Is it to my detriment to not have any medical field work experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody. I graduated in 2006 from USC with dual degrees in Business Administration and Accounting. I now work as an accountant and get no satisfaction from the job or the industry in general. Ever since I can remember I wanted to be a doctor, but being an 18 year old when I chose my major, who was more concerned with partying than anything else, I took the easy 4 year option in business and have hated everything about it since day one. Now I am ready to actually do this whole medicine thing and am really interested in USC's post bacc program, and all programs in the Southern California area in general. My problem is that none of the sites are specific in what sort of grades and test scores they want. I have not taken any premed courses in college and I am not underprivileged or underrepresented. So, here are my questions:

1) Do the UC schools even consider your apps if you are not underprivileged or underrepresented?
They will consider all applications that they receive but they are geared toward accepting students that are dedicated to serve the underserved communities. You don't have to be under-represented in medicine but you must show that you are or have been disadvantaged in some aspect of your life, such as: economic, culture, or educational among other things. the application is free so there is no harm in applying.

2) If I have a 3.2 cummulative undergrad GPA and a 1320 SAT, will I be considered at USC or other So. Cal. programs or is this too low? What if I take the GMAT or GRE?
I think you can apply to Formal Post-Bac at SFSU or Cal State Hayward with your stats. I'm not sure about the other program.

3) Is it to my detriment to not have any medical field work experience?
Well if you have no medical exposure at all in your life, how do you know you want to become a doctor. Watching "house" on TV does not translate to motivation in becoming a doctor.
I would suggest volunteering at your community clinic or hospital and work with the community. It allows you to broaden your horizon about what it means to become a physician and improve your chances of getting into formal post-bac program.

[qoute] Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks![/QUOTE]

glObaltrader,

Thanks for your response. It was very helpful.