USC post bacc???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On another thread there was mention about USC having a structured post bacc program.

I tried to find a link for it on the USC.edu website, but couldnt find anything.

Has anyone had experience with this program? Have a link to the site?

Thanks. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the advantage of doing this program at USC over other schools? Is it the committee letter at the end of the program?

How long is the program?

I don't know how long they design the program for, as I've never took it, but it has to be completed within 2 years from the time you enter. It looks like it could probably be done in 2 semesters if you're feeling confident.

I think the only thing USC really has going for it is the name. It's a name people recognize, especially when it comes to football. I would love to do the program, but I am a science major, and I've completed all of the courses they offer. There are state universities in California that also offer Committee letters, just like other formal post-bacc programs, though they're not formal. It's pretty expensive to go to USC...tuition alone is $33,000+ (I don't think there's any special fees for post-bacc students, and I think you're supposed to apply as an undergraduate...I'm definitely not sure, though).

MediMama23 said:
I don't know how long they design the program for, as I've never took it, but it has to be completed within 2 years from the time you enter. It looks like it could probably be done in 2 semesters if you're feeling confident.

I think the only thing USC really has going for it is the name. It's a name people recognize, especially when it comes to football. I would love to do the program, but I am a science major, and I've completed all of the courses they offer. There are state universities in California that also offer Committee letters, just like other formal post-bacc programs, though they're not formal. It's pretty expensive to go to USC...tuition alone is $33,000+ (I don't think there's any special fees for post-bacc students, and I think you're supposed to apply as an undergraduate...I'm definitely not sure, though).

On a different thread someone said that

"usc's program is very good. very rigorous, gotta work your ass off, but very good. i believe you're pretty much a shoe in to usc if you are part of their program. however, you gotta take out probably 100, 000 dollars in loans at the rate usc is charging per unit. could be a drop in the bucket in the long run, but i am choosing not to do it, although it is my alma mater. fight on trojans"

Do you believe this to be true? Did you go to USC?

I didn't go to USC. USC is a private university, so yeah, they can afford to charge an arm and a leg and if you're not from the area, it can get expensive. They estimated close to $47,000 for one year of undergrad (living on campus and eating in their dining halls). If money is an issue, I'd suggest doing it in one year. I don't doubt that it's a good school, though; my brother went there for undergrad, and he turned out for the better. :thumbup:

About being into the medical school? Maybe. I'm sure the heads of the program know the heads of Admissions, so if they like you, and you didn't completely screw up while there or during your interview (should you be granted one), you have a good chance. But as with all medical schools, it's a crapshoot.

Sorry I couldn't give you more definite answers.

MediMama23 said:
I didn't go to USC. USC is a private university, so yeah, they can afford to charge an arm and a leg and if you're not from the area, it can get expensive. They estimated close to $47,000 for one year of undergrad (living on campus and eating in their dining halls). If money is an issue, I'd suggest doing it in one year. I don't doubt that it's a good school, though; my brother went there for undergrad, and he turned out for the better. :thumbup:

About being into the medical school? Maybe. I'm sure the heads of the program know the heads of Admissions, so if they like you, and you didn't completely screw up while there or during your interview (should you be granted one), you have a good chance. But as with all medical schools, it's a crapshoot.

Sorry I couldn't give you more definite answers.

Anyone else got any info?

I was just accepted into the program. I know a fair number of students in the program, and while expensive, it is quite good.

An important thing for practicing medicine and wanting to apply to the UC med schools is sometimes having had gone to school undergrad (or pre-med) in state. The UCLA medical admissions board likes to see this, has more experience with seeing candidates from more local institutions, and one of the people I know on the admissions board actually didn't know anything about Goucher's program.

Academics: USC's program mixes you with undergrads. Professors respect postbaccers more, interact with them, give extra attn and help, etc. USC likes to have people only take 2 classes with lab/term and highly stresses volunteer experience. The quality of the instruction has been questioned, and some of the people have not had positive experiences. They offer supplemental instruction (SI) for all courses taken and often these students who have received A's and do weekly reviews of material are superior teachers than the professors who teach the course. Yes, really. Those who have attended large universities during undergrad can validate this, when some professors (and sometimes the university itself) are only worried about their research credentials.

USC, as a large institution, sounds like it has some work to do and having upcoming interviews at Penn, Bryn Mawr, and Goucher, I asked them what the latest date was I could get back to them while still getting guaranteed classes (postbacc's draw first ahead of the entire undergraduate student body in private sessions). The "work to do" part comes from the fact that their lab manuals are extremely poorly written, their TA's are uninformed (e.g. not even knowing about assignments being due when an entire class brought them to turn in) and/or can have English language problems.

A recent snafu in basic testing fundamentals resulted in the firing of a TA. They split a class into two classrooms, did not start the tests within each room at the same time, and did not start the tests between the rooms at the same time. The professor was horrified and admittedly, did his best to rectify a situation.

These somewhat minor but revealing situations may be something I don't wish to contend with given the grueling curriculum of pre-med, especially at a large university that is as expensive as USC.

The academics in all areas have gotten much better, the postbacc program, which was started 7 years ago has grown strongly in size while they make sure to give all of the advising, volunteering, and support possible, and the medical school's reputation has increased exponentially in the last 10 years.

Also, USC's campus, while pretty nice, is situated in an urban area of Los Angeles that is not a good one. Walk two blocks in any direction in the evening and see how safe you feel.

All of the above strengths/weaknesses are things to consider. The coordinator and the main doctor who interviewed me were extremely nice, forthcoming with any information to pointed questions I asked that they could answer, and understanding of students' opportunities at other schools.

runner0382 said:
USC, as a large institution, sounds like it has some work to do and having upcoming interviews at Penn, Bryn Mawr, and Goucher, I asked them what the latest date was I could get back to them while still getting guaranteed classes (postbacc's draw first ahead of the entire undergraduate student body in private sessions). The "work to do" part comes from the fact that their lab manuals are extremely poorly written, their TA's are uninformed (e.g. not even knowing about assignments being due when an entire class brought them to turn in) and/or can have English language problems.

A recent snafu in basic testing fundamentals resulted in the firing of a TA. They split a class into two classrooms, did not start the tests within each room at the same time, and did not start the tests between the rooms at the same time. The professor was horrified and admittedly, did his best to rectify a situation.

Hey, I am in that class!

I'm a current undergrad at SC, I started my sciences as a junior so I'm kind of doing my own little post-bacc thing, I just havn't graduated yet ;) I've got post-baccs in all my classes and they all get along well and are very friendly people. They are also super motivated and seem to work together (in a kind of annoying, I-only-have-2-classes kind of way), so they all do fairly well. Granted, it is not easy to get good grades here. Over the past few years SC has attracted loads of bright, competitive students so there is a definite feeling of competition and stress here.

This is exasterbated by what runner just described (spot-on, by the way), my main complaints being that some of the TA's are best described as piss-poor and in general there is a disconnect between the professors and the lab directors. (Most TA's are asian and there is a language barrier) This is not only annoying but results in a lot of extraneous work...pre-labs, post-labs, lab reports, lab paper assignments, daily pre-lecture quizzes, lab practicals, etc. all on top of normal assignments, exams, and the "optional" review sessions where professors undoubtedly release some gem of information that is not in the text and was not discussed in lecture.

Despite these downfalls, there are times when I really love going to SC and am glad I decided to come here. Some of the professors are truly top notch and the potential for research, both clinical and bench, is extensive at Keck. (Another downside to this is having to drive between campuses, which is a drag but is also kind of fun. There is something really cool, and completely nerdy, about a campus completely devoted to the med school) Also, despite the downfalls I mentioned above, it is totally possible to ace your classes here and when you do it feels grr-eat.

If you have and questions or curiosities about SC I would be happy to answer any PM's.

Anyone else with some experience with the program?

Since you have to go through pre-admissions counseling/assessment with them anyway, it might do you just as well to call the school and see what they have to offer you in terms of information. Not too many people know about USC's program, and I feel like the majority of people who are in/have been in it aren't here on SDN.

I know talking to the advisors isn't like getting the dirt from students, but...I think the past couple of posts are pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD Rapper said:
NRAI,

I'm pretty sure this program is not what you're looking for. It's for career-changers, not academic enhancers. In other words, the structured program only offers the prereqs. Taking other undergraduate classes (which might be of more interest to you) at SC is the same as taking them anywhere else.

:( Yea it most probably isnt for me.

But I wouldnt mind retaking prereqs bc i didnt do so hotly in some of them the first time around. I m just wondering about the success of people in the post bacc for getting into USC med. From the looks of it, the success is exaggerated.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi, I am new to this forum, I had some questions about the USC program, is it too late to apply for fall of this year, actually, is it too late for other programs too? What is the typical timeline for applications? I think I was a bit late this year, but I want to better my chances, does anyone have any opinions. Also, here are my stats, below 1200 on sats, planning to take gres in april, 3.3 from a top ten liberal arts college, steady increase in grades, senior year was a 3.89, double major, psych and japanese studies. I grew up abroad and have therefore traveled extensively, but I think this may have caused some culture shock freshman year. I have done er volunteering, I work full-time as an emt, I think im getting good letters of recc, what do I need to do to make myself a better candidate? I have no research experience, how do I get some without any background in sciences? Who do I call!? Im so full of questions.Can anyone out there help me!??

MD Rapper said:
Have you done your prereqs yet or not?

No, I havent done any prerecs yet, thats why Id want to go to their program, its for people who havent had sciences, right? Thank you for your reply!!

stinkykimchee said:
No, I havent done any prerecs yet, thats why Id want to go to their program, its for people who havent had sciences, right? Thank you for your reply!!

I was actually just accepted to this program yesterday thru the interview and asked all of these questions. Yes, it is for career-changers, the average GPA in the program being 3.5-3.6. They dont want you to have taken the science courses before unless its been awhile ago- typically 80% students report being accepted to 1st choice med school- how that correlates to other states from schools like bryn mawr or goucher im not sure. The program is 2 years with the majority of students starting in the fall- they do an MCAT review course the spring of the last year along with taking orgo. they have plenty of outside resources- and going to a cali school really helps should you want to attend school in cali(you can claim residency after 1yr)- let me know should you have any other questions.
Oh btw, does anyone know @ the surrounding location of USC- like is it safe? real estate value, things to do, etc.

Emorygranger said:
I was actually just accepted to this program yesterday thru the interview and asked all of these questions. Yes, it is for career-changers, the average GPA in the program being 3.5-3.6. They dont want you to have taken the science courses before unless its been awhile ago- typically 80% students report being accepted to 1st choice med school- how that correlates to other states from schools like bryn mawr or goucher im not sure. The program is 2 years with the majority of students starting in the fall- they do an MCAT review course the spring of the last year along with taking orgo. they have plenty of outside resources- and going to a cali school really helps should you want to attend school in cali(you can claim residency after 1yr)- let me know should you have any other questions.
Oh btw, does anyone know @ the surrounding location of USC- like is it safe? real estate value, things to do, etc.

In a nutshell, it's not safe. At least, I wouldn't voluntarily be out at night unless I had an arsenal of friends. It's in the heart of LA, and a couple of blocks away from where I used to live, where my brother's best friend was stabbed in the back and killed by his own father :( . USC is a great school, just be careful, don't travel by yourself, and make sure you're where you need to be come nighttime, because crime is still an issue. Real estate value isn't as bad as being in Westwood, but it's steep enough for the good places (obviously). Are they offering you on-campus living? My general theory is that dorm life can suck (I've lived in their dorms), but it may be a better alternative. In the vicinity, there's not the most to do. Are you going to have a car? A car is pretty much a necessity in CA. And if you have a car, then you can do anything. I don't know what you like to do, but if there's something you like to do, and you have a car, you can do whatever you want. The Coliseum and Sports Arena are a couple of blocks away, so that might be something you're interested in.

MediMama23 said:
In a nutshell, it's not safe. At least, I wouldn't voluntarily be out at night unless I had an arsenal of friends. It's in the heart of LA, and a couple of blocks away from where I used to live, where my brother's best friend was stabbed in the back and killed by his own father :( . USC is a great school, just be careful, don't travel by yourself, and make sure you're where you need to be come nighttime, because crime is still an issue. Real estate value isn't as bad as being in Westwood, but it's steep enough for the good places (obviously). Are they offering you on-campus living? My general theory is that dorm life can suck (I've lived in their dorms), but it may be a better alternative. In the vicinity, there's not the most to do. Are you going to have a car? A car is pretty much a necessity in CA. And if you have a car, then you can do anything. I don't know what you like to do, but if there's something you like to do, and you have a car, you can do whatever you want. The Coliseum and Sports Arena are a couple of blocks away, so that might be something you're interested in.

I totally disagree with the safety thing. I'll be the first one to admit that SC is in a crappy neighborhood, but I have never known anyone who has been or has felt in danger because of the the location. Of course, theoretically, it is more dangerous than living in, say, santa cruz or davis, statistically speaking. But as long as you don't go wondering off campus through scary neighborhoods (ie: act like an idiot) you are safe. And believe me, it's not hard to tell where you should and shouldn't be. We get crime reports via email whenever someone gets robbed..like once a month maybe...not too bad out of 30,000 students. Every single robbery occurs at 3am in a scetchy location. I don't exactly feel sorry for drunk frat boys that wander into 'da hood at night and get punked for it. (However, this is an inevitability with drunken munchies and tempting local mexican eateries open all night. "Dude, you want some tacos?")

Bottom line: SC is perfectly safe. The only drag is that the surrounding neighborhoods are not. Thus, the campus location won't effect your bodily safety but it will effect your lifestyle somewhat. You won't go on long runs through LA, if that's what you want. And you won't be able to leave your doors unlocked or your bike chained through the front wheel.

Zoom-Zoom said:
I totally disagree with the safety thing. I'll be the first one to admit that SC is in a crappy neighborhood, but I have never known anyone who has been or has felt in danger because of the the location. Of course, theoretically, it is more dangerous than living in, say, santa cruz or davis, statistically speaking. But as long as you don't go wondering off campus through scary neighborhoods (ie: act like an idiot) you are safe. And believe me, it's not hard to tell where you should and shouldn't be. We get crime reports via email whenever someone gets robbed..like once a month maybe...not too bad out of 30,000 students. Every single robbery occurs at 3am in a scetchy location. I don't exactly feel sorry for drunk frat boys that wander into 'da hood at night and get punked for it. (However, this is an inevitability with drunken munchies and tempting local mexican eateries open all night. "Dude, you want some tacos?")

Bottom line: SC is perfectly safe. The only drag is that the surrounding neighborhoods are not. Thus, the campus location won't effect your bodily safety but it will effect your lifestyle somewhat. You won't go on long runs through LA, if that's what you want. And you won't be able to leave your doors unlocked or your bike chained through the front wheel.

Which is what I basically said. I never said the campus wasn't safe. I said the surrounding areas weren't safe (not in those exact words, of course), which is what you said, too. Any campus behind gates is going to be safer from the neighborhoods surrounding it than those where anybody from anywhere can walk all through it and wreak havoc (like my undergrad). Your crime reports talk about situations off campus: surrounding areas. That's what I was talking about, too. It's not that safe. I didn't talk about the campus itself, and the poster didn't explicity ask about the campus, either.

To emorygranger: go. Shoot, I would've gone for undergrad had I been smart enough to consider applying (and had tons of financial aid been involved). Just be safe about what you do.

MediMama23 said:
Which is what I basically said. I never said the campus wasn't safe. I said the surrounding areas weren't safe (not in those exact words, of course), which is what you said, too. Any campus behind gates is going to be safer from the neighborhoods surrounding it than those where anybody from anywhere can walk all through it and wreak havoc (like my undergrad). Your crime reports talk about situations off campus: surrounding areas. That's what I was talking about, too. It's not that safe. I didn't talk about the campus itself, and the poster didn't explicity ask about the campus, either.

To emorygranger: go. Shoot, I would've gone for undergrad had I been smart enough to consider applying (and had tons of financial aid been involved). Just be safe about what you do.

right now its a toss-up between here and UVA. UVA's program is set for a yr vs. two so im leaning towards that one actually- any thoughts though would be great!

Emorygranger said:
right now its a toss-up between here and UVA. UVA's program is set for a yr vs. two so im leaning towards that one actually- any thoughts though would be great!

I would go with the one that offers you the most bang for your buck. I don't know where you live, and I don't know how much UVA's program is (but I do know USC's is steep), but it would be a good idea to go with the program that offers you the most opportunities in the way of ECs, volunteer opportunities, clinical opportunities, and support. These things will be important to your application as well, because the program that can give you the most guidance will make it that much easier come application time. I just read an article in USC's alumni magazine that had an article about the post-bacc program, so I learned a bit more with that. What's UVA like?

MediMama23 said:
I would go with the one that offers you the most bang for your buck. I don't know where you live, and I don't know how much UVA's program is (but I do know USC's is steep), but it would be a good idea to go with the program that offers you the most opportunities in the way of ECs, volunteer opportunities, clinical opportunities, and support. These things will be important to your application as well, because the program that can give you the most guidance will make it that much easier come application time. I just read an article in USC's alumni magazine that had an article about the post-bacc program, so I learned a bit more with that. What's UVA like?

UVA's is very similar- they are coordinating w/the medical school for support and clinical resources however make it VERY clear that there is no connection b/w the school and the program for acceptance purposes. the community is very supportive of the program's success as are the faculty. the outside resources and community engagement are stellar- i'm excited. the only thing that makes me nervous is that it is the first class- this can be a good thing in that they will make sure we have all resources possible to get in to top med schools- no linkages obviously are set up yet. they have modeled their program around brynmawr and jhopkins

Emorygranger said:
UVA's is very similar- they are coordinating w/the medical school for support and clinical resources however make it VERY clear that there is no connection b/w the school and the program for acceptance purposes. the community is very supportive of the program's success as are the faculty. the outside resources and community engagement are stellar- i'm excited. the only thing that makes me nervous is that it is the first class- this can be a good thing in that they will make sure we have all resources possible to get in to top med schools- no linkages obviously are set up yet. they have modeled their program around brynmawr and jhopkins

If the two are so similar, then I guess it pretty much boils down to where you want to be (Virginia vs. California) and which program you want to take a gamble on. They both sound great, and it might be fun to be sort of the "pilot project," the group who proved it could work. I don't know. Good luck with your decision!

Hello! I just read your post, congratulations on your acceptance!!! I have an interview with USC scheduled for the 21st of April and I was wondering what type of questions they ask during the interview? I am calling out to anyone that has an answer for this question.
Thank you!!!

Ha! What questions? Basically none.

If you get an interview, you are basically in, so congratulations. All they will ask are questions geared towards making sure you know what you are getting into and that you REALLY want to do this.

Dr. Singer and Brian, the coordinator, are both very nice and will answer any questions you have.

stinkykimchee said:
Hi, I am new to this forum, I had some questions about the USC program, is it too late to apply for fall of this year, actually, is it too late for other programs too? What is the typical timeline for applications? I think I was a bit late this year, but I want to better my chances, does anyone have any opinions. Also, here are my stats, below 1200 on sats, planning to take gres in april, 3.3 from a top ten liberal arts college, steady increase in grades, senior year was a 3.89, double major, psych and japanese studies. I grew up abroad and have therefore traveled extensively, but I think this may have caused some culture shock freshman year. I have done er volunteering, I work full-time as an emt, I think im getting good letters of recc, what do I need to do to make myself a better candidate? I have no research experience, how do I get some without any background in sciences? Who do I call!? Im so full of questions.Can anyone out there help me!??

usc has rolling admissions, so you can apply anytime during the year and go in during any semester. you can apply right now and possibly get in for fall or spring semester. there's a link earlier on this thread that describes the program in detail. i say go for it!

Definitely no questions asked. And, if they invite you for lunch...go! That's where you get the best info, and meet some people in the program who are cool and helpful.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have a couple of questions. I got my BA from UCI in 2001 and now want to apply for dental school. I have yet to take all science pre reqs and was wondering if there was an advantage to doing the USC post bacc program rather than taking all my pre-reqs at a CC (most likely Pasadena City College)? My undergrad GPA is around 2.98 so I'm wondering if I'll even be considered for the post bacc program. I've been working for the past 5 years so my LORs would come from managers/supervisors.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

I just finished the USC program. USC is more esteemed than CC, and with your undergrad GPA you need to prove you can make it at a good school (like I did). However, I am pre-med so I don't know if it is different for dental school.

As for getting in, it is possible but you will have to work at it. My undergrad GPA was like yours, and I had to take 3 classes at USC and get good grades before they would let me into the program. It depends on how much you want in. If you do want to go to SC, take 2 classes this fall and get good grades (I got A's) and then apply. I doubt that they will let you in with a 2.98, but if you can prove that you were stupid in undergrad and didn't try or have some other explanation AND show that you can do well at USC I think you will get in.

One of my friends in the program was predental and she just got into Harvard dental school.

backToSchool said:
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have a couple of questions. I got my BA from UCI in 2001 and now want to apply for dental school. I have yet to take all science pre reqs and was wondering if there was an advantage to doing the USC post bacc program rather than taking all my pre-reqs at a CC (most likely Pasadena City College)? My undergrad GPA is around 2.98 so I'm wondering if I'll even be considered for the post bacc program. I've been working for the past 5 years so my LORs would come from managers/supervisors.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Hi doc2be77,

What 3 courses did you take at SC? Were you working full time while in the post bacc program? How did you do, if you don't mind me asking? What med school will you be going to?

Thanks for your reply!

doc2be77 said:
I just finished the USC program. USC is more esteemed than CC, and with your undergrad GPA you need to prove you can make it at a good school (like I did). However, I am pre-med so I don't know if it is different for dental school.

As for getting in, it is possible but you will have to work at it. My undergrad GPA was like yours, and I had to take 3 classes at USC and get good grades before they would let me into the program. It depends on how much you want in. If you do want to go to SC, take 2 classes this fall and get good grades (I got A's) and then apply. I doubt that they will let you in with a 2.98, but if you can prove that you were stupid in undergrad and didn't try or have some other explanation AND show that you can do well at USC I think you will get in.

One of my friends in the program was predental and she just got into Harvard dental school.

backToSchool said:
Hi doc2be77,

What 3 courses did you take at SC? Were you working full time while in the post bacc program? How did you do, if you don't mind me asking? What med school will you be going to?

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry this took so long- I just noticed that there was a response.

I took g-chem (2 sem), o-chem (2 sem), physics (2 sem), general bio (2 sem), and mol bio (1 sem). I was working part time (about 20 hours a week) doing clinical research. My GPA at the end was 3.8-3.9 (I don't remember exactly). Much better than my 2.3 undergrad GE science GPA. My MCAT was 34Q. I am putting in my apps this summer, so I don't know where I will be going (my first choice is wherever I get in!). I definitely wouldn't work full time. Every class has a lab, so even just two classes is time consuming.

backToSchool said:
Hi doc2be77,

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry, just read your question again. The 3 classes I took before I was accepted were g-chem 1 and 2 and half a semester of o-chem and general bio (1/2 o-chem + 1/2 bio = 1 class).

i was just accepted into usc's postbacc premed program and wanted to see if anyone else wanted to have discussion on the program. i haven't seen much posted on here about the program at all.

on a sidenote, i'm waiting to hear back from scripps and mills. i'm hoping usc's prorgam has mustered more credibility over the years like these 2.

There's been a decent amount of discussion about the program. There's not that much to say about it. It's decent but doesn't have the same reputation as Scripps or Mills, a decent amount of people from the program wind up at Keck, but a larger % of Scripps ppl do.

There's been a decent amount of discussion about the program. There's not that much to say about it. It's decent but doesn't have the same reputation as Scripps or Mills, a decent amount of people from the program wind up at Keck, but a larger % of Scripps ppl do.

i'm sorry but could you point me to a thread besides this one? this is the only one i found. and everything on this thread is almost 4 years old -- i was just wondering if someone else (maybe a current student or somebody also considering attending) could chime in. maybe you don't know much about it, but saying "there's not much to say about it" is just untrue. good or bad, there's still something to say about it!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=559720

to be honest, it really isn't hard to search for old threads on sdn concerning certain post-baccs. Just google USC post bacc and the first few threads that show up are from SDN or the actual website itself and look at the dates for what would seem to be the most recent.

I would actually think Drizzt is being quite honest as he has posted in several of the older threads so I would assume he has some background at least in corresponding to individuals who have been in the program. From the website and the posts that I have skimmed of two recentish threads (year old), there really ISN'T that much to say either than a) it's mainly catered towards non-traditionals and b) it's a decent program when put in those regards (formal post bacc for taking pre-reqs) when compared with the cadillac programs such as Goucher and Scripps. There is a reason why people on this forum know so much about those programs.

Last edited:
I did my postbac at Scripps, and looked at the USC program before choosing where to attend as I was in socal. There isn't much to say about it, you take classes at SC, it's usually > 1 year, doesn't have a formal linkage, and has a pretty good track record. What else is there to say really?

Hi epione,

I was also accepted to USC, I was also accepted to Scripps...however I am trying to decide between the two right now. Both have a good reputation but I think which programs fits you best is what matters. Would be interesting to hear your positives and negatives about the program. Would help me make a decision too hahaha. Yea, so lets talk :)

Hi epione,

I was also accepted to USC, I was also accepted to Scripps...however I am trying to decide between the two right now. Both have a good reputation but I think which programs fits you best is what matters. Would be interesting to hear your positives and negatives about the program. Would help me make a decision too hahaha. Yea, so lets talk :)

Scripps is a program that is one year, has a much better track record than USC, better national reputation, and more personalized instruction. I've written a number of posts about the program, if you do a search, I'm sure you can find them.

I'm actually looking at a 2yr program, and I know that Scripps has one. The downside to Scripps right now is that they're going through a transition phase. Jodi Olson is no longer there and Dr. Sadava is no longer there as well. So currently they do not have a program director and from talking to the scripps postbac students they feel abandoned and a little lost :( I know Jodi very well, I did my undergrad at Scripps so I know she really lifted the program up. This to me is a big concern.

I did the two year Scripps program, and it worked out real well for me. Yes it sucks that Jodi decided to move on, and Dr. Sadava was a great teacher, but there are a lot of great faculty at JSD who love teaching, I wouldn't hesitate to go there.

Thank you for all your feedback drizzt3117 :D Yes Scripps is a great place no matter what.

I am going to be applying to USC's post bac program and had the following questions for the students who were already accepted (Or anyone else that has gone through the process)?

A. What was the interview process like? What types of questions were they asking? How long did they last?

Please add anything else you remember from the process as I'm very curious. Someone told me the interview is difficult with intense questions.

B. What did it seem like they were looking for in a student?

I am a current resident of SoCal and have a pretty strong GPA with poor standardize test results.

I look forward to reading the responses = )

Hi epione,

check your inbox. :]

I am going to be applying to USC's post bac program and had the following questions for the students who were already accepted (Or anyone else that has gone through the process)?

A. What was the interview process like? What types of questions were they asking? How long did they last?

The interview process (at least for me) was more of an informational session on both ends. They provided a bunch of really great information on the program and answered any and all questions I could think of, and intermittently asked questions about where I was, what I was thinking, etc. I actually really liked it because it felt like both sides were feeling each other out and seeing if this would be a good fit. My interview lasted a little over an hour and then I was offered a tour of the campus afterwards, which is optional.

Please add anything else you remember from the process as I'm very curious. Someone told me the interview is difficult with intense questions.

I'm wondering who told you this. My "interview" was actually VERY comfortable and the questions weren't intense, to me. I mean, what question could they possibly ask you that would make you nervous? If you know why you want to start this journey and are strong in your conviction, then you have nothing to worry about! So, again, my interview wasn't difficult -- lots of laughing and great talk about myself and how I would fit in the program.

B. What did it seem like they were looking for in a student?

I can't really answer this question. Postbaccs take students from ALL different backgrounds, ages, etc. You just have to be honest with yourself and with why you want to be there. I don't think they're looking for something in a student, I think they're looking AT everyone as a potential student and see if you're a fit. However, I will say this -- if you're excited about their program and the possibility of going there, then show it. I would guess they are looking for enthusiasm in a potential student. :]

I am a current resident of SoCal and have a pretty strong GPA with poor standardize test results.

Well, I'm from out of state, but I don't think geography matters as much to them, being a private institution. Congrats on your strong GPA. My personal opinion is that a strong GPA (a cumulative result of YEARS of work) shows your abilities far better than any standardized test result (a few hours of rehearsed testing) ever could.

I look forward to reading the responses = )

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hope this helps and good luck!

I am also preparing for the USC's post bac program, and I am very interested in getting some info on the background and profile of the students accepted in the program. I have an IT background, 3.0 undergrad GPA, got my masters while working FT with 3.5 GPA in the same field.
were you a non-science major?

did you take any test to increase your chances? (GRE, GMAT..etc)

if you were working full time, whats your strategy on asking recommendations from your current employer?

is private loan dependency an issue for USC?

did you take any science courses to increase your chances prior to applying?

What were the attributes that you think was a major factor in being accepted?

sorry for the lengthy questions but I have exhausted lots of forums and have not seen too much information on accepted students' profile and how they made it.